Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head Gasket can of worms??? - Now chasing Boost Leaks!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

Great news. Did you use rob walker in the end Steve, any thoughts on recommending?

sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Yes - Rob Walker now Fiennes Engineering. Very happy with them. It wasn't cheap, but you get what you pay for!
        The Perfectionist
        sigpic
        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Bad news is that I still have running issues which I am convinced is some seriously stale fuel. Only option now seems to be drain the tank and refuel with clean petrol.

I have been quoted £190 + vat to drain the tank. Anyone have any good suggestions for draining 20 litres of crap fuel myself? (How do I dispose of it?)

cheers

Steve
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
            Bad news is that I still have running issues which I am convinced is some seriously stale fuel. Only option now seems to be drain the tank and refuel with clean petrol.

I have been quoted £190 + vat to drain the tank. Anyone have any good suggestions for draining 20 litres of crap fuel myself? (How do I dispose of it?)

cheers

Steve
            Yes!
            Pop to TKmax and buy the cheap fluid transfer pump they sell. It's orange in colour with two long pipes. Remove the fuel pump cap in the boot and pump out into suitable containers. Get right down into the pump pick up area and you will find substantial crud there. Wipe out dregs with clean cloths.
            However, unless your petrol is over 3 years old or you filled with E10 in the last year, I doubt that's the issue. The Coupe I recently bought has three year old super in it and it's running ok, if a little lumpy.
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Me doing mine last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Nothelle S2 Avant
              Black Ur project
              Ocianic Ur project gone
              S2 Coupe project gone
              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Then dilute it with fresh stuff and use it in the lawn mower

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Steve, there's no need to go into opening the tank or buying a pump. 20 Litres will fit nicely into a Jerry can and you can keep it for all those cleaning jobs you may have coming up.

To drain the tank, open up the feed line to the inlet manifold in the engine bay and use a piece of hose to direct it into your Jerry can. Pull the fuel pump fuse and feed 12 volts into the fuel pump circuit using a male lucar. The fuel pump will pump out your tank for you in a surprisingly quick time, just be ready to turn it off when the tank is empty so you don't run it dry.

Comment

Thanks chaps!
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic

Comment

Is is not possible to just pull one of the rubber lines to the fuel filter and drain from there or does the pump lift the fuel to get there anyway?
                      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                        Is is not possible to just pull one of the rubber lines to the fuel filter and drain from there or does the pump lift the fuel to get there anyway?
                        The pump needs to be "on" for the fuel to emerge from the tank. This was indeed my original plan.

I have a new fuel pump to go on, so will do that and probably drain the tank from there whilst it is out.....
                        The Perfectionist
                        sigpic

Comment

UPDATE!

Well it has been a while hasn't it! Life goes on and gets in the way of things, however slowly but surely I have worked through this list over the last 10 months:
                          • Fuel completely drained and repaced - Same (New fuel pump and fuel filter whilst I was at it!)
                          • New POS Stages fitted and spliced into connectors - Same
                          • Replaced all 5 Coilpack with brand new ones (was on my to do list anyway) - Same
                          Finally realising this wasn't an ignition issue, I unplugged the injector connectors and plugged them in again and the car ran perfectly! It turned out that the injector plug on cylinder 1 in broken and the pink inner has broken tangs on it preventing it from seating correctly into the connector housing, It was not connecting properly and causing the car to run on 4 cylinders!

Once this was fixed the car still had a lumpy idle which I traced to a disconnected hose on the cam cover.

This week the S2 passed its MOT with No Advisories! Not bad for 29 years old and 190,000 miles!

My Audi fleet is now working and complete!

PXL_20220803_100541545.jpg
                          Attached Files
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic

Comment

Well done, good work!

I replaced all the inner pink bits on my injector plugs as they were all starting to break up.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                              Well done, good work!

I replaced all the inner pink bits on my injector plugs as they were all starting to break up.
                              Thanks John, how and where do you get them? Do you need a pin extractor?

Cheers

Steve
                              The Perfectionist
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post

Thanks John, how and where do you get them? Do you need a pin extractor?

Cheers

Steve
                                I got mine from an old wiring harness using plugs that hadn’t got hot over the engine so we’re in good condition.
                                Yes you need a pin extractor, I’ve got a cheap set and a couple of proper ones (but you can do it with a paperclip once you get the hang of it). The plugs are called Junior Power Timer or JT. Alex can supply genuine ones I think, or eBay which seem to be copies (or maybe they don’t make them the same as they used to.)

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X