Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head Gasket can of worms??? - Now chasing Boost Leaks!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg_S
    replied
    It is also worth checking your PCV for leaks Steve, that has caught me a few times in the past

Leave a comment:

• Fat Audi 80
    replied
    Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
    I had to replace all of the pink inserts on my injector connectors after constantly chasing random misfires and a lumpy idle, like John I used second hand ones from old connectors I'd cut of old looms prior to scrapping them, they're not just used for the injectors I managed to find five from bit's of various VAG looms. This was on my old 3B, the one's on my RS2 still seem to be fine, though that car has covered half the miles.
    I have some ordered new inserts from Alex (Error404) so will get this done soon.

Thanks

Steve

Leave a comment:

• K Simmonds
    replied
    I had to replace all of the pink inserts on my injector connectors after constantly chasing random misfires and a lumpy idle, like John I used second hand ones from old connectors I'd cut of old looms prior to scrapping them, they're not just used for the injectors I managed to find five from bit's of various VAG looms. This was on my old 3B, the one's on my RS2 still seem to be fine, though that car has covered half the miles.

Leave a comment:

• Fat Audi 80
    replied
    Originally posted by newsh View Post

If you haven’t already done so take the headlight out.
    DV is tee’d in down there, and DV to MAF hose.
    Then there’s the nipple on the turbo going to the N75.
    Turbo outlet can be tricky to tighten and is often oily and rotten but as you’ve had the head off I guess you’ve gone silicone hose?
    Hi John, yes replaced all the hoses and clips down there. I am going to re-run the boost leak test at the weekend to see if I can find it.

It is boosting more now, but it still tailing off under high load....

Stay tuned!

Leave a comment:

• newsh
    replied
    Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
    Thanks Greg!

On a side note, I am now chasing boost leaks as the old girl is not as spritely as I remember.

One found on the short cam cover breathe hose, but it is still not holding boost. I can hear it coming out around the entry to the intercooler....

I will get there in the end!
    If you haven’t already done so take the headlight out.
    DV is tee’d in down there, and DV to MAF hose.
    Then there’s the nipple on the turbo going to the N75.
    Turbo outlet can be tricky to tighten and is often oily and rotten but as you’ve had the head off I guess you’ve gone silicone hose?

Leave a comment:

• Fat Audi 80
    replied
    Thanks Greg!

On a side note, I am now chasing boost leaks as the old girl is not as spritely as I remember.

One found on the short cam cover breathe hose, but it is still not holding boost. I can hear it coming out around the entry to the intercooler....

I will get there in the end!

Leave a comment:

• Greg_S
    replied
    I''ll add the injector wiring to my list of jobs as I occasionally get a lumpy idle. Its nice to see both motors up and running and on your drive

Leave a comment:

• Fat Audi 80
    replied
    Thanks, I will ping Alex - Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• newsh
    replied
    Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post

Thanks John, how and where do you get them? Do you need a pin extractor?

Cheers

Steve
    I got mine from an old wiring harness using plugs that hadn’t got hot over the engine so we’re in good condition.
    Yes you need a pin extractor, I’ve got a cheap set and a couple of proper ones (but you can do it with a paperclip once you get the hang of it). The plugs are called Junior Power Timer or JT. Alex can supply genuine ones I think, or eBay which seem to be copies (or maybe they don’t make them the same as they used to.)

Leave a comment:

• Fat Audi 80
    replied
    Originally posted by newsh View Post
    Well done, good work!

I replaced all the inner pink bits on my injector plugs as they were all starting to break up.
    Thanks John, how and where do you get them? Do you need a pin extractor?

Cheers

Steve

Leave a comment:

• newsh
    replied
    Well done, good work!

I replaced all the inner pink bits on my injector plugs as they were all starting to break up.

Leave a comment:

• Fat Audi 80
    replied
    UPDATE!

Well it has been a while hasn't it! Life goes on and gets in the way of things, however slowly but surely I have worked through this list over the last 10 months:
    • Fuel completely drained and repaced - Same (New fuel pump and fuel filter whilst I was at it!)
    • New POS Stages fitted and spliced into connectors - Same
    • Replaced all 5 Coilpack with brand new ones (was on my to do list anyway) - Same
    Finally realising this wasn't an ignition issue, I unplugged the injector connectors and plugged them in again and the car ran perfectly! It turned out that the injector plug on cylinder 1 in broken and the pink inner has broken tangs on it preventing it from seating correctly into the connector housing, It was not connecting properly and causing the car to run on 4 cylinders!

Once this was fixed the car still had a lumpy idle which I traced to a disconnected hose on the cam cover.

This week the S2 passed its MOT with No Advisories! Not bad for 29 years old and 190,000 miles!

My Audi fleet is now working and complete!

PXL_20220803_100541545.jpg
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Fat Audi 80
    replied
    Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
    Is is not possible to just pull one of the rubber lines to the fuel filter and drain from there or does the pump lift the fuel to get there anyway?
    The pump needs to be "on" for the fuel to emerge from the tank. This was indeed my original plan.

I have a new fuel pump to go on, so will do that and probably drain the tank from there whilst it is out.....

Leave a comment:

• s2driveruk
    replied
    Is is not possible to just pull one of the rubber lines to the fuel filter and drain from there or does the pump lift the fuel to get there anyway?

Leave a comment:

• Fat Audi 80
    replied
    Thanks chaps!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X