Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long cranking

Hey folks.

I've recently assembled my precious and have run into strange starting issues. After being shut down for some time, it takes pretty long time to crank the car before it starts. Also while cranking it bubbles a bit and after that starts and runs without any issue. I have a strong impression that it's the Fuel Pressure regulator, because once started, I can shut it down and start it again with half turn of the key. Seems like it doesn't hold the pressure in the fuel rail after shut down. No other issues have surfaced, it runs fine on boost, no misfires, no erratic running whatsoever.

Thing is, I've changed the fuel rail during the rebuild, since mine had the mountings cut off for some reason. I haven't hooked up the fuel pressure gauge yet, don't have any available right now.

I'm thinking maybe get a new regulator altogether. I have two choices:
    1)Bosch 0 280 160 575
    2)Pieburg 7.22017.50.0
    They aren't too expensive. The Bosch one costs marginally more.

Engine - AAN.

Any advice appreciated.
    Last edited by RichLV; 24 April 2016, 21:26.

Mine does the same. Sometimes it'll start on half a turn, sometimes it takes two three or more to get her started. My pressure regulator is pretty new, and I get the same problem. Also, I would expect it to not run correctly if FPR isn't doing it's job properly.
    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Originally posted by hunker7 View Post
      Mine does the same. Sometimes it'll start on half a turn, sometimes it takes two three or more to get her started. My pressure regulator is pretty new, and I get the same problem. Also, I would expect it to not run correctly if FPR isn't doing it's job properly.
      It was doing it randomly some time ago, but now after a night of standing I have to crank it fairly long in the morning. And it bubbles too.

Comment

What do you mean by bubbles?
        '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

What do you mean by bubbles?
          When you crank, and it wants to start, but doesn't. Don't know how to call it in other words.

Comment

Originally posted by RichLV View Post
            When you crank, and it wants to start, but doesn't. Don't know how to call it in other words.
            Oh I know what you mean, mine does that too. When it does start the first time, it's usually when she's cold, when she warms up, she takes a while to come to life.
            '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Since the FPR isn't expensive, maybe just get a new one altogether? Because it sure sounds like the rail pressure drops after standing. Or it's an injector stuck open, but in that case I would get a lambda correction code.

Comment

Originally posted by RichLV View Post
                Since the FPR isn't expensive, maybe just get a new one altogether? Because it sure sounds like the rail pressure drops after standing. Or it's an injector stuck open, but in that case I would get a lambda correction code.
                If you take off the case for fuel pump relay, you can manually turn it on, so before you start it, get some pressure up, and see if that helps the start, if so, you found your problem.

Stuck open injector would cause blue smoke on start up
                '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Black
                  RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                  94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                    Black
                    Mine was blue
                    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

If you take off the case for fuel pump relay, you can manually turn it on, so before you start it, get some pressure up, and see if that helps the start, if so, you found your problem.

Thanks, good thought. I'll give it a try.

Comment

Isn't there a check valve at the pump end of the system designed to keep pressure on after shut down? That would cause a leak down too if it was leaking or missing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
                        1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Check if injector's are good

Comment

Anatomy of two 091G (OE) style fuel pumps (VDO and Bosch)

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post
                            Isn't there a check valve at the pump end of the system designed to keep pressure on after shut down? That would cause a leak down too if it was leaking or missing.
                            Correct.

Anatomy of two 091G (OE) style fuel pumps (VDO and Bosch):

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/179948.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
                              Its a part of the pump then, since I couldn't find it as a separate part.

Originally posted by Majorcina View Post
                              Check if injector's are good
                              I think if they would be bad, I'd feel it when driving it. It wouldn't run as good as it does. Only the long crank is the issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X