Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audi RS2 shell, same as normal Audi 80 and s2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi RS2 shell, same as normal Audi 80 and s2?

Hi guys.
    Quick question, is the Audi rs2 core frame same as the normal Audi 80? E.g sills and inner wing and flitch?
    If not, which bits are different in the rs2 and 80 avant.

Thanks

The Audi 80 avant shell is exactly the same. To fit the rear Quattro system you need to have the parts off a Quattro avant or sedan including fuel tank and subframes. The holes to mount the subframe are present.

As for the 80 sedan 1995 model I'm not sure. I think it shouldn't be a problem for that model either

Comment

The shell for 80 Quattro/S2/RS2 is the same.
      A non quattro compared to quattro is a different story. There is difference in the rear mounting points. The non-quattro shell is missing driveshaft, front diff. and two of the rear subframe mounts.

Comment

Not true if you are talking about the avant 80.
        The avant isn't missing anything

Comment

Later fwd avants have holes for mounting rear subframe but missing nuts inside the chassis.
          1989 Audi 80 Quattro
          1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

Originally posted by M2ki View Post
            Later fwd avants have holes for mounting rear subframe but missing nuts inside the chassis.
            Good info...

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
              Not true if you are talking about the avant 80.
              The avant isn't missing anything
              Quattro chassis is the same, the fwd chassis is not. BTDT

Correct, 2 of the semi-captive nut mountings for the rear subframe are missing. Equally importantly the rear chassis rails don't have the same reinforcement around the rear subframe pick-up points and so simply adding a nut won't cut it. You need to reinforce the mounting points. The diff carrier mounting is also missing.
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404

Quattro chassis is the same, the fwd chassis is not. BTDT

Correct, 2 of the semi-captive nut mountings for the rear subframe are missing. Equally importantly the rear chassis rails don't have the same reinforcement around the rear subframe pick-up points and so simply adding a nut won't cut it. You need to reinforce the mounting points. The diff carrier mounting is also missing.
                Do you have any pictures of these reinforcements ?

Comment

If anyone is wondering what the diff mount looks likes or wants to buy one. I have a spare one.

1989 Audi 80 Quattro
                  1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                    Do you have any pictures of these reinforcements ?
                    No sorry this was years ago I helped someone convert a fwd TDi to quattro. We noticed it then.

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post

No sorry this was years ago I helped someone convert a fwd TDi to quattro. We noticed it then.
                      Any other info on this.....build thread?? I'd be interested to know.

Comment

This applies to saloon too. 1994 onwards has the holes but is missing nuts.

Comment

For some reason I am missing my photos of the underbody of my car which is not an original rs2. I can't remember much of what's mentioned above when the conversion was made other than it was a straight forward one without issues. A lot of replica rs2 in Greece were done this was as they were too expensive to import originals back in the day, so I can't imagine 15 to 20 cars having to do all this work to apply the Quattro system. FWD avants were available in Greece while AWD 2.0 etc where rare as well.

I'll try and dig them and maybe you guys can recognise more of the underbody than I do.
                          Other than some metal welds on the area where the rear subframes mounts that I recall I couldn't see much more different, and obviously non stock Audi on the underbody, which makes me think that a lot of it was already there on the avants at least.

Comment

I have both FWD and Quattro Chassis in my garage. Both are 1993 models.
                            I can take pictures if needed.

Comment

What about the coupe shell? S2 vs non S2?

Comment

Working...
                              X