Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rynaqui
    replied
    We fabricated bits for my glass sunroof, have to paint it and then re-fit to see if it all works well with the new bits. It worked when we had just fabricated but can't be sure how much paint may effect the seal. Fingers crossed. You can still get new metal roofs from Audi Tradition, not so with the glass roof.

Leave a comment:

• gmac78
    replied
    Hi Andy.

Is it the sunroof itself or cartridge? As i have pics of my sunroof with is completely goosed.

Leave a comment:

• AndyP
    replied
    Does anybody have any pics of where the glass sunroof cartridges rot? I have one I want to sell and I need to see if it's rust free or not.

Leave a comment:

• gmac78
    replied
    Well it certainly sounds from your experiences that the metal ones do not suffer from the same rot infestation as the glass ones. I think it's time to source a complete metal one, if anyone has one in good condition with no rust etc and even better if it's in Emerald green, who is looking to sell drop me a line.

Cheers guys.

Leave a comment:

• steve briance
    replied
    Mine is 1990, had it nearly 17 years and it's been outside all the time I've had it. The only bother I've had with mine was water leaking into the car through it but that was a combination of blocked drain holes and failed sealant between two parts and very easily sorted with fresh stuff. The blocked drain holes were allowing water to back up and fill the area around the opening up to the point it found the gap in the sealant. Clearing the channels on their own may have sorted it but I did both and all is well.

Leave a comment:

• jeffstoo
    replied
    I also have a metal one in a coupe and as Steve, have found no signs of rust on it or the running gear. Mine is a 92 and has spent a lot of its life outside. I think there is only one type of metal sunroof, tilt and slide, electric push button.

Leave a comment:

• gmac78
    replied
    Hey. Ok that's interesting, what year is your car/mileage etc? Although that prob doesn't matter as much as where it's spent most of it's life I guess.

Also when you change from solar to metal, how many types are there?

As in are they all push button operated, or knobs like the solar ones?

Just trying to suss out exactly what i'll need if I change it out.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• steve briance
    replied
    I've got a metal sunroof in my coupe and when I took the sliding panel out for paint; there was no rot on it at all. I didn't see any rot on the mechanism either when the headlining was refurbished. I don't actually know where the glass set up rots and whether that area would be hidden on my metal one but there was nothing obvious I could see on mine.

Leave a comment:

• gmac78
    started a topic Metal sunroof rot

Metal sunroof rot

Alright chaps,

I'm still on the hunt for a glass sunroof and looking likely that i'll just need to fit a metal one along with cartridge.

Just out of interest, do the metal sunroofs rot in the same way the glass ones do?

Is it likely that a second hand metal one will also be suffering from rust like the glass ones do or are the a better design?

Thanks
    Gordon
Working...
X