This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• s2 coupe exhaust

does any one do a 2.75 or 3 inch turbo back exhaust for the s2 coupe 3b engine one
    or down pipe back, i can soon make a 3"downpipe
    im only asking cause i could make a full stainless one my self , but why build what you can buy lol

Off shelf costs over 1k why would you?

Comment

I poked someone else on the forum a couple weeks ago about getting a 3" SS downpipe made, along with a suitably generic 3" or 2.75" SS system for the Coupe - modular like with accomodation for CATs as required etc etc
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

jetex do a 2.75 rear box, i was gonna order this and then a load of mixed stainless bends from them, (obviously measure up for how many ,what angles etc first)
        tack it all together with the relevant flanges etc make it all fit nice then take it to my mates and borrow his tig and weld it all together
        i have a spare s2 downpipe to use to have the turbo and wastegare flanges remade from stainless
        unless anyone knows where i can buy these?
        ill make a 3" downpipe with a flexi in the lower section, ill add a 3" flange or something ,in the original joining place and then make 2.75" back from this
        i may make a jig for the front pipe!! which will enable me to reproduce it BUT i dont think i would make it available to meet the factory "sprung " joint

i cant see it costing loads of money, the rear box is from memory 230quid

Comment

Scorpion and Supersprint also do a back box... I didn't know Jetex did one though - isn't 230 quid expensive for some SS piping and a silencer - or is it just me ?
          Maybe thats the going rate...

IMO - a good 3" DP is going to need to incorporate the flexi section and delete the silly Y-piece.
          Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
            Scorpion and Supersprint also do a back box... I didn't know Jetex did one though - isn't 230 quid expensive for some SS piping and a silencer - or is it just me ?
            Maybe thats the going rate...

IMO - a good 3" DP is going to need to incorporate the flexi section and delete the silly Y-piece.

yea the y piece would deffo have to go (it already is gone on my car)
            the reason for jetex off the shelf is because the parts alone would cost about 160quid plus then i gotta spend about 3 hours welding it all together
            so to buy the box and then just make the mid is the best answer
            i checked scorpion and its only 2.5 " i want 2.75 or more
            id settle for 3" downpipe and 2.75 to the back

i like your idea about "modular"

Comment

This is what I have in mind folks... mounting points not shown yet - nor is the flexi pipe
              Attached Files
              Paul Nugent

Comment

so you can picture it i have a 1 piece downpipe with a flexy at the bottom or it. the downpipe has a section off it for the WG.
                the middle pipe mounts behind the sprung mount around the middle of the car. i presume where the middle section fitted. the rest is 3" over the axle to the rear box which is i think the 034 one with 2 pipes out. 3" is very close over the rear drivers axle.

Comment

Ive bought a 3" DP allready and currently have a milltek Decat back system fitted.

I was planning on buying some pipe from jetex and making a system up (with flexi) in 3" to match the DP all the way back to the Milltek back box, thus deleteing the y pipe and decats, running with no cats and a small centre box.

My other option was thinking of running a small box where the cats are and a centre box and then a side exit pipe idea, but no idea if thats possible untill i get a look under the car properly, too much to do elsewhere to it at the mo lol
                  Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

I'm of the mind now that if I can get a good 3" DP from someone then source the stainless sections for the system that all I need is some quality time with an expert welder who can cook up what I want.

I like the idea of using any existing boxes from Milltek, Supersprint etc as that makes things easier.

My exhaust scraped thru the MOT today BTW - literally - the guy noticed it is occassionally touching one of the rear driveshafts... But he let me off - despite also having some tired rear bushes - bit borderline he said but he must have been in a good mood !
                    Paul Nugent

Comment

I'm of the mind now that if I can get a good 3" DP from someone then source the stainless sections for the system that all I need is some quality time with an expert welder who can cook up what I want.

I like the idea of using any existing boxes from Milltek, Supersprint etc as that makes things easier.

My exhaust scraped thru the MOT today BTW - literally - the guy noticed it is occassionally touching one of the rear driveshafts... But he let me off - despite also having some tired rear bushes - bit borderline he said but he must have been in a good mood !
                      My 80 is back for its MOT tomorrow so should fly through, but going somewhere different as went past the 10 day retest so here's hoping for good luck as well! (tracking at same time is why)

As for me reuseing the existing Milltek BB seemed pointless changing it as its 2.75" (i think?) allready and would only be replacing it for the same anyway so avoids messing with one part and keeps that all stock joint location etc. Centre box and DP connection areas will also be stock location so only thing that really wont be is the missing cats/decats pipes/Y piece and if its possible the side exit from a middle box, which of course deletes the BB completly.
                      Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

Originally posted by madwolf_Uk View Post
                        Ive bought a 3" DP allready and currently have a milltek Decat back system fitted.

I was planning on buying some pipe from jetex and making a system up (with flexi) in 3" to match the DP all the way back to the Milltek back box, thus deleteing the y pipe and decats, running with no cats and a small centre box.

My other option was thinking of running a small box where the cats are and a centre box and then a side exit pipe idea, but no idea if thats possible untill i get a look under the car properly, too much to do elsewhere to it at the mo lol
                        I think you should take it some where to have it made Gary, You are trying to use a dremel to do machine work on your head

Welding is another game.
                        Chef

Comment

What about exhaust clamps with stella cans for sleeve's

If it was me it would be a proper 3 inch all the way, no less. Sell the old exhaust and get a proper system.

Comment

Unless its a monster turbo then 3" is fine up front, relaxed to 2.75" at the rear for easier clearance of the driveshaft on the Coupe. This has been discussed at length here before.

A 2.75" rear might be restrictive on a monster turbo install, but isn't going to trouble anything up to 400bhp (ish) based on my gut feel. Many a chipped RS2 pumps out 360-380bhp on the stock exhaust with CATs too so lets not get carried away with an assumption that bigger is always better.

@Gary - can you measure the size of pipes on that Milltek system - or the back box at least - if its in good condition and you don't want it - I might make you a cheeky offer.
                            Paul Nugent

Comment

@Gary - can you measure the size of pipes on that Milltek system - or the back box at least - if its in good condition and you don't want it - I might make you a cheeky offer.
                              Well its not as if the car is going anywhere anytime soon

Comment

Working...
                              X