Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    I know the feeling and I'm sure many of us have been there. My last experience like this was removing my Ur windscreen. It didn't end well
    Have a large beer. You will feel much better.

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    OK, so I may have found a supplier, he is fairly confident he can get a kit.

Therefore today, I spent a little time in the shed getting the rack apart.

Mostly this went well.

However, the large cap that is screwed into the end of the rack needs to come out to get the actual rack part of the rack out was a bit of a monkey. Depending on the specific rack, it may be steel or aluminium. The aluminium is quite soft as it turn out, and the cap had pretty well corroded into place. I eventually managed to get it out with lots of heat, stilson and lump hammer. Honestly, never known anything like it. The cap has a 17mm hex in the end of it, there was never any hope of that being able to remove it unfortunately.

With it out, I was able to complete the disassembly, however the threads on the cap are completely rooted, and the ones in the end of the rack aren't exactly much better -massive amounts of pick up, and very little that could have been done to mitigate things.

Not sure what my course of action is right now, however I do have a slightly different rack, which has a steel cap, this requires a different hose, though I am tempted to go this route.

I have a load of photos, but not really in the mood for posting them, as you might imagine.

Leave a comment:

• steve briance
    replied
    Excellent! Having the info or even better, a parts bin ready to use BEFORE starting work is the way forward.

Ive just made the mistake of not getting a spare ready before i broke an existing part and it has just cost me dear in time and money hunting for it.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    I have a spare aby rack I'm going to strip and refurb when it's a bit warmer in the garage. I will let everyone know what bits are available and how I get on

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    That's a good thought, Steve, I'm just nervous of pulling it apart and not being able to get them, but you may have something there, for sure, will give it a try!

Leave a comment:

• steve briance
    replied
    Ive no idea what the seals look like but have you tried simply bearings. Co. Uk? They supply all sorts of seals - pick type, put dimensions into their search engine, pick material (viton, nitrile etc) and it comes up with options.
    Last edited by steve briance; 16 February 2021, 10:21.

Leave a comment:

• LSG
    replied
    Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
    If you can find any, you better buy a lottery ticket....

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    If you can find any, you better buy a lottery ticket....

Leave a comment:

• LSG
    replied
    So if you get one of each you should be on the safe side, One would hope

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    OK so these are apparently equivalents:

Lemforder: 13718 01
    Omega : 2365
    Lemforder: 617 000 811
    ZF Lenksystem: 7881 633 115
    Gates: 348724
    Transtec: 8466

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    OK cool, thanks, looks like that carries over to ZF number: 7881633115

Getting tricky to find...

Leave a comment:

• Mikes2
    replied
    8A1 498 020 I suspect.

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    started a topic Steering rack refurb kits

Steering rack refurb kits

Hi guys,

After a bit of help here, I would like to refurb a steering rack, part number is: 894422065K, but I am struggling to find a seal kit for it. Any ideas where I might find one?

It's fitted to a late CQ20V, chassi number MA00001 >, so OEMPC doesn't even list the rack...

Thanks

Peter.

Working...
X