This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B3 Suspension mounts (Coupe)

I'd like this to get to a somewhat definitive thread on all the main options and sources of suspension mounts - partly out of selfishness as I am trying to cost something out more accurately as a quick look at the 034 website got me reeling from all the $$$ signs that seem to be involved.

First question about this 'street density' vs 'track density' - are the track density ones so stiff that they only work nicely on smooth circuit tarmac. I'm not ruling out street density if there is considerable improvement in stiffness and feel without turning the car into a horrible boneshaker when running on B-roads.

In stages then here goes with a list. Please correct/augment this thread so that it is accurate.

FRONT
    Strut top mounts - 2 in total - OEM, 'promounts' from Mance or Axis, or 034 products
    Wishbone bushes - 4 in total - OEM, powerflex, superflex, delrin from 034
    FARB bushes - 2 in total - OEM, powerflex, delrin from 034
    Subframe bushes - 4 at the front - solid alloy from 034 (anodised ?)

REAR
    Strut top mounts - same as front
    Wishbone bushes - same options as front, but smaller size
    RARB bushes - as front options but also Whiteline option too
    Rear track rods - OEM, 034 or 'bambridge'
    Subframe bushes - 4 at the rear - solid from 034 (anodised ?)

ENGINE
    Front snub mount - OE parts bin, 034, others
    Left mount - OEM, 034, others ?
    Right mount - as above

GEARBOX
    Two or three here ?
    From OEM or 034 - any else ?
    Propshaft bearing - 034 only now ?

REAR DIFF
    Three mounts here - from 034 only, or factory original
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

the aluminum subframe bushes from 034 is not anodised mate

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

Street density 034 top mounts are stiffer than OE and for me provided much better feel whilst still giving isolation from the potholes in the awful B roads around me - and no drumming or whine out on the motorway.

I thought track density would be too firm which is why I didn't fit them.

John

Comment

Alloy subframe mounts also available for Bambridge - Kev on here, as well as engine and gearbox mounts, Track Density i believe. HTH
        Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

You can also get poly subframe bushes, about £150 a set i think.

Can also get a powerflex rear diff mount.
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Good updates chaps...

For a 'track ready' but street legal / weekend S2 - I am thinking that 100% track density might be too stiff. I'm thinking street density on the engine & gearbox mounts, but track density on the strut top mounts as they really take a battering. I already have alloy subframe mounts (from Ben's GP ages ago - forget I had them) - they really need to be anodised though.

I'll post up a modified list based on feedback so far - when it is complete I can make it a sticky as this info is scattered on the forum and makes it hard to follow.
            Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I believe that the street density are 60 durometer (say it on the packet) and the track density 80 durometer (not sure if this is from memory or a guess ).

Don't forget Superflex products, I run their FARB bushes front (26mm) and rear (24mm), they fit easily and are quite stiff. They also do wishbone and subframe bushes.

The Promounts are a serious piece of kit, they are beefy and have a nice, large spherical bearing in them. When I've got the suspension install finished I'll decide what they're like, HPMuirt was impressed though.

The 034 'voidless' mounts are better than OE but are still just a rubber mount so while they will last longer, they're not indestructable, as some have found out in teh US. Still, you can get a lot of 034 mounts for the cost of the Promounts...
              Cheers'en, AndyC
              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

For topmounts on the AAN coupe quattro, I've went for the compbrake ones.

http://www.compbrake.co.uk/TOPMOUNTS_AUDI.html

They have a replaceable spherical bearing - so can replaced once hammered

Car is for hillclimb road car class initially and will be back to softer springs to ease the abuse once the Imp is finished (when my hair is white and Im really old)

Changed - should work now.
                Last edited by raymor; 2 October 2009, 13:49.
                1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
                1987 CQ85RS
                1994 S2 Avant- Gone
                1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
                Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
                Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

Link doesn't work...
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

getting the spring rate right is key paul. i got some old koni springs on and they are great. i will list where i got them where possible but choice is individual of course. i got a lot from corey back in the day

to follow your format

FRONT

standard roll bar new standard bushes.
                    new balljoints - audi
                    koni shocks - venom motorsport
                    koni springs - on car already
                    promount ms1 - corey
                    track density engine mounts - corey
                    solid subframe bushes - corey
                    oem gearbox
                    powerflex bushes - vagparts

REAR

whiteline roll bar - corey
                    promount ms1 - corey
                    solid subframe bushes - corey
                    koni shocks - venom motorsport
                    koni springs -already on car
                    rear diff mounts - modded gearbox ones
                    new ball joints - audi
                    powerflex bushes - vagparts

think thats most of it. cant fault the ride compared with factory its a lot better as is turn-in etc.

Comment

So maybe I am too cautious about track density engine/gearbox mounts if you've not noticed any significant increase in roadnoise or vibration... You have given me another thought though.
                      Paul Nugent

Comment

really honestly no issue. there is slightly more vibration from the engine id say but its hard to tell when its non oem like mine. manifold and exhaust contribute.

you know things are more direct when you start the engine.

there is less noise from the suspension, bushes etc than when i was on stardard, but old rubber. it really is very quiet

the whiteline is worth it. cant comment on rs2 up front as only have standard.

think the new ball joints help.

there was a feel of shift side to side on the old rubber from the subframes etc. that little movement of the rubber = woolly feel.

bambridge's mounts look identical to mine if that helps.

Comment

Don't forget a solid front snub mount, that's a must too
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                            I'd like this to get to a somewhat definitive thread on all the main options and sources of suspension mounts - partly out of selfishness as I am trying to cost something out more accurately as a quick look at the 034 website got me reeling from all the $$$ signs that seem to be involved.

First question about this 'street density' vs 'track density' - are the track density ones so stiff that they only work nicely on smooth circuit tarmac. I'm not ruling out street density if there is considerable improvement in stiffness and feel without turning the car into a horrible boneshaker when running on B-roads.

In stages then here goes with a list. Please correct/augment this thread so that it is accurate.

FRONT
                            Strut top mounts - 2 in total - OEM, 'promounts' from Mance or Axis, or 034 products
                            Wishbone bushes - 4 in total - OEM, powerflex, superflex, delrin from 034
                            FARB bushes - 2 in total - OEM, powerflex, delrin from 034
                            Subframe bushes - 4 at the front -solid Alum anodised from Bambridge, solid alloy from 034 (anodised ?)

REAR
                            Strut top mounts - same as front
                            Wishbone bushes - same options as front, but smaller size
                            RARB bushes - as front options but also Whiteline option too
                            Rear track rods - OEM, 034 or 'Bambridge'
                            Subframe bushes - 4 at the rear -solid Alum anodised from Bambridge, solid from 034 (anodised ?)

ENGINE
                            Front snub mount - OE parts bin, 034, others
                            Left mount - OEM, 034, others ?Track Density Anodised from Bambridge
                            Right mount - as above

GEARBOX
                            Two or three here ?
                            From OEM or 034 - any else ?Track Density Anodised from Bambridge
                            Propshaft bearing - 034 only now ?

REAR DIFF
                            Three mounts here - from 034 only, or factory original
                            Updated

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                              Don't forget a solid front snub mount, that's a must too
                              i dont have one of these. it would be helpful i think. not sure how easy to squeeze in with the wagner x member.

may stop my manifold tickling my bonnet.

theres one paul. i noticed the engine sits slightly higher on the new mounts.

Comment

Working...
                              X