replace differential seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replace differential seals

Hi chaps, I've decided to do differential seals myself and save some money. Anything I should know before I start? Are there any bolts that need to be torqued properly or replaced once they're out? Also would it be beneficial to "rinse" out the housing or does it not matter?

Any input welcomed

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

It's an easy job unless you find you can't get the drain plug out. Do you have the diff in the car or on the bench?
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Pay attention to how deep the seal is fitted as you might put it too deep and that will be a problem.

Comment

Yeah the long bolts that hold the ‘cups’ that the inner driveshaft cvs would bolt to are stretch bolts with i think. 6nm torque value. They have a hex head and can be a) a pain to remove and b) need to be replaced. Piotr is also right that the install depth is pretty key as they are hard to get square and also seated on the right part of the shaft which will be smooth rather than crusty/pitted. Also be careful on the seals themselves as they have a small spring collar which can ping off the seal itself...if it is not put back, you will p*ss diff oil through them BTDT as the sping collar acts as tension on the seal to shaft.
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

The driveshaft flange bolt torque is 10nm + 90deg AFAIK. That's what I torqued mine (AZE diff [with old bolts]) and so far so good

Comment

Luckily diff is on the table so makes things a bit easier. I'll measure the depth before taking seals out and so I can fit them nice and square, I haven't touched it so seals should be in the correct position.

Can items 7 and 11 be replaced with 8.8 or 10.9 spec shiny bolts, or they have to be OEM?
            '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

The shaft bolts have a special shaped head recess, slightly countersunk
              sigpic
              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
              Audi UR Quattro
              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

My 20vCQ is well due for some new seals. Which leads me to a few question please...

Hunker7: Where did you source your seals from and how much were they roughly?
                SteveH: Following on from your question, can seals realistically be replaced with the diff still mounted up, or is this just asking for trouble and strife?

And slightly off topic but still on seals, does anybody know if gear selector shaft seals are easy enough to come by in the UK?

Thanks

Comment

I used 7zap to look up part numbers and just used eBay along with autodoc. Haven't ordered yet though.
                  '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Originally posted by audiman View Post
                    The shaft bolts have a special shaped head recess, slightly countersunk
                    called a catheter bolt.

and FWIW, i have never torqued those, and reuse them. i have to take these cv flanges out of my diff to service the axles, front and rear of the car so they are reused quite frequently here. if i pull the trans, i have to remove them due to my custom axles. and that trans comes out of the car a LOT. well, it used to anyways.

you HAVE to make sure you get the correct ones, too. some are longer than others, and they will totally screw you if you try to use them. they will hit inside the trans, mushroom the heads, and you are totally fooked and cannot remove them. ask me how i know.

Comment

I've started taking it apart but can't seem to get the actual diff out? The gear seems to be holding it in?
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 3 photos.
                      '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Working...
                      X