Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single Mass Flywheel on ABY - PROBLEMS!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Mass Flywheel on ABY - PROBLEMS!!!

Right, been at an Audi friendly garage all afternoon with a mechanic friend taking the 6 speed 'box off and getting all my shiney new parts fitted. The car came apart really easily and all was going well... Got the 3B flywheel, friction plate and pressure plate all on the engine, changed the rear crank seal and a few other bits whilst it was apart. The dual mass flywheel, completely dead friction plate and general dual mass gubbins were removed from the car and the dual mass spacer was also disgarded as per what I'd read here.

Then the fun started, things never go smoothly when working on an S2, especially not the Alpinweiss variety. We got the 'box back on the car and started to put the bolts back through the bell housing. This was where the first problem arose, due to the spacer being removed the bolts are mainly too long, suprisingly enough by approximately the length of the thickness of the spacer

So a few washers to space the bolts back a bit and then continued with the rebuild. Got the box alinged and dowels engaged before my mechanic friend began going around the bellhousing bolts and tightening them while I held the box in place.

C R A C K ! ! !

Oh S**T...

A quick inspction with a torch identified that the bell housing had cracked in quite a major way. At this point I had to go and get some fresh air for 5 minutes. Many will have read that the last 2 weeks have been far from great and this really was the last straw. I returned 5 minutes later, still shaking with panic and began to work with the chap doing the job to identify what the phook had happened and then begin to devise a solution to the problem.

Basically the two dowels that locate the gearbox are elongated (you've guessed it) by the thickness of the plate over those from a 7A that was lying nearby. The 'box had bottomed out on teh dowels and then the brittle cast alloy had been effectively bent to the point of fracture at a quite obvious stress concentration point. The crack had then propogated along the path of least resistance, down a rib or two and back out to the mounting face. There had not been the chance to learn the easy way by there being a gap, no this was almost the hardest way to learn that there could have been

I have pictures but the dowels are approximately 5mm too long when the plate is removed. I also have pictures of the bell housing and will post them when I can download them from my phone.

Moral of the story - leave it the phook alone.

If you're planning on doing the single mass flywheel conersion then you will need the 3B block to bell housing dowels and all bell housing bolts (or an angle grinder). Everything else seems to lign up OK as per other peoples' experiences... I'm sure there's something else that can go wrong though... and it will. The nightmare that is my love-affair with the S2 continues...
    Last edited by Rusty; 8 December 2007, 19:41.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Not good, really feel for you atm it seems upgrading these cars can be a pita, is there any way of repairing the box or is it a new box?

Comment

Man you must have killed several black cats and broke a few mirrors!

Do you need a new gearbox now?

This is curious as this conversion has been done quite a few times although I thought you had to move the engine on it's slotted mounts to do this conversion?

Comment

Andy,
        When things go wrong it really sucks. I really feel for you and kinda know what you're going through. Hoping you get it sorted and that next year will be that much better,
        Cheers
        Chris
        Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
        20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3692

Man this sucks seems like the problem was picked up before, i've never seen the above post before!

Comment

You must of been a real bad man @ some point in life Andy, If your superstitious then bad luck always strikes three times mate, i recon you've had your fair share by now...... should be all plain sailing now then
            sigpic

Comment

Bad news brother
              I imagine you felt really sick, I know I would have..

So you need a bellhousing though, not the whole box?
              Last edited by newsh; 8 December 2007, 21:34.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

Is not posible to fix on an block the bell housing and wheld back?
                I am sure you can find some good whelding companies for aluminium there.
                I am sure will be beter then buy another box or buy another bell housing and adjust the bearings inside!
                Let see some pictures first.
                Sorry that hapend!

Comment

Yeah, welding would work, I had to weld the bellhousing on a Jag Mk2 I owned once, worked a treat.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

But dont know how bad is it. Lets hope is only a crack and nothing too bad.

Comment

It's a pretty impressive crack (so to speak). Hope it can be welded otherwise I'm going to

Problem was due to dowels although something else might have been stuck inbetween the bell housing and engine. Anyway, good to identify a few things with others looking to do this conversion.
                      Cheers'en, AndyC
                      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Shame it hurt though matey..... chin up all will be good when done......
                        Dark Grey Avant
                        RS2 FARB
                        Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
                        Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

Sorry to hear ya still haveing probs Andy, but hopefully you can look at it this way, get em all outta the way before new years and have a problem free 2008?

Best of luck sorting it though mate.
                          Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

Bloody hell Andy. Nothing seems to be straight forward on Alpinweiß.
                            Good luck in getting it sorted. Lets hope you fell the benefits of the single mass flywheel soon.
                            SS

Comment

If is a crack only, then should whork. I sugest that u wheld the crack with the bellhousing in position together with the input shaft off the gearbox inserted properly in the bearing from flywheel.
                              Hope this helps!
                              All the best!
                              Eugen

Comment

Working...
                              X