No announcement yet.

Transmission Failure. How did yours go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Failure. How did yours go?

Just out of interest, who's broken their quattro transmission, and what failed?

I'll start off with mine which broke last year. It was in a 3B running ~280bhp and ~420Nm on a good day. My ARV gearbox always had a noisy input shaft as most old'uns do, but in the end it seems that the front diff pinion bearing failed. Mileage was ~180k miles.

I opened up the 'box and found this inside:

I wonder if anyone has had the infamous 'weak 1st gear' fail. Tales of 2nd gear synchros seem to be most common.
    Last edited by 4WheelDrifter; 14 July 2008, 22:12.
    SS

I broke the 'box in that typ85 90q but no idea what happened, it got stuck in 3rd and I had to drive it back from Devon to Brissol and then Brissol to my Mum's garage 15 miles away.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

centre diff chewed the centre out of all the helical gears

Comment

Originally posted by WabTheKing View Post
        centre diff chewed the centre out of all the helical gears
        Try some oil in it!

I bust one,
        My original UR box broke, shot a large shaft out of the rear end of the box. through the tunnel! carpet stopped it! thats what its for!
        Rob..
        94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
        87 UR 20v ABY
        97 S6 Avant
        96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
        1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Originally posted by GT500 View Post
          Try some oil in it!

I bust one,
          My original UR box broke, shot a large shaft out of the rear end of the box. through the tunnel! carpet stopped it! thats what its for!
          that was my rear diff which had no oil in it
          ceased on the m62

Comment

carpet stopped it

Originally posted by GT500 View Post
            Try some oil in it!

I bust one,

Comment

2nd gear Synchro is knackerd on mine, but right now thats the least of my problems
              Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

I broke a type 85 quattro box. Catastrophic loss of oil on the M1, followed by nasty noises and vibrations. I think it was a half shaft seal or something, never bothered to find out just got a new one.

I'm lucky all that oil didn't cause an accident

Comment

well

after upgrading to K26/T04e, the 1st and 2nd gear syncros are singing sweet to me, but unfortunetly there are no boxes here on the island??? what am i to do, well looks like a refurb..
                  japanischer industriabfall nein danke!!
                  www.rackeltrim.se Icelandic Division

Comment

Just stripped a type85 quattro box down that suffered centre diff relocation.... everything is fine but the planet gears exited through the casing.. makes for graphic viewing indeed.
                    Jay - pug_life85@hotmail.com

1986 Audi UR quattro - WORK IN PROGRESS
                    1981 VW Mk1 Golf - "20v Jim, but not as we know it!"

Comment

I've damaged syncro's but not completely damaged a box yet. My s2 box still works but need the clutch doing.

Comment

Mine spit second gear tooth when drag racing uphill with chavved S2. It's from audi 80 typ85 quattro. He got me only at the end of third gear (short gears on atmo). 5E (016) box.

Sau
                        200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
                        CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

My Ur s4 6 speed has always been noisy in first. Seems to be a bit worse now with the gt2871R and "emergency" starts lol. Whats a "easy" upgrade?

Comment

Jay - pug_life85@hotmail.com

1986 Audi UR quattro - WORK IN PROGRESS
                            1981 VW Mk1 Golf - "20v Jim, but not as we know it!"

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                              My Ur s4 6 speed has always been noisy in first. Seems to be a bit worse now with the gt2871R and "emergency" starts lol. Whats a "easy" upgrade?
                              EDU or DST from a 2.7tt. Minor dowel issues. Minor ProConTen issues.

OR check these out:

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/
                              RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                              94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Working...
                              X