Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to forum but not Audi

Hi All,

First post on this forum but I have a 23 year history of Audi ownership.
    This started in 1995 with a hard- used B2 90E 2.0 which impressed me enough to upgrade (?) to a B3 90E 2.2 about 18 months later.
    I kept that until 2003 when I bought my current A6 Avant 2.5 TDI (140SE) from a work colleague. This car has been in continuous use ever since with only usual service and wear items needed and has redefined my expectations of reliability and durability in cars to wholly unrealistic levels!
    You’ll notice a 5-pot bias, only blemished by a 2 year affair with a 96 A8 in 4.2QS flavour, run alongside the A6. That has now gone.

Sorry to start straight out with a question but I’m here as I’m seriously considering a C4 S6 and have a potential victim in prospect. However, it’s a fair chunk of cash and I’m struggling to sanity check the valuation.
    It’s a ‘95 Avant. Done just under 200k miles with fairly comprehensive history. It’s been resting about 10 years and was recommissioned earlier this year. It’s not clear quite how comprehensive the recommissioning has been, but it has had new front wings (correct S6 OE), cambelt, tyres and some brake parts. Engine sounds sweet and pulls well. I’m told it’s completely stock. Drives well with suspension still feeling nice and taut. It’s pretty tidy bodily although mostly original paint and plain white. Interior is black leather, fairly good and complete. Looks a little shabby but will probably clean up. Drivers seat bolster is a bit scuffed and the headlining holed in a couple of places. Has sunroof and climate control though I have not (yet) checked whether a/c still works. Priced at £8k. I have only seen 2 others for sale in recent times. Both for more money but also much lower miles. One is an auto which rules it out of contention anyway.

Your thoughts on this would be most welcome

thanks

Nick

The C4 S6 is a great car and a real sweet spot in Audi's history. I'm am quite tempted to look for one myself for my next project. However, I would suggest you take great care when considering a car that has been laid up for a number of years. You are going to find that you will need to change a lot of parts that will have perished or seized over the years. Some of these parts will be very expensive and possibly no longer available (the dreaded NLA when you ring Audi!). My car was taken to bits and stood in a dusty damp barn for about 6 years before I took it on. I have had to replace, repair or renovate almost all the parts on the car. Your potential project may be running with an mot, but what woes lie beneath the surface for you to discover when you actually start using it? I don't want to put you off, but you do need to go in with your eyes wide open!

By the way -
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Welcome
      I agree with Dave.

The UrS4/S6 are great cars and there is a strong following on this forum. Values on these cars, like S2s, are all over the place. Some people are asking big money, due to rarity but are the cars selling? My gut feel is no.
      At £8k, the car needs to be in pretty good order, and I wouldn't be influenced by the mileage - how the car has been cared for is far more important. Anyone who has done any restoration work on a vintage Audi will tell you how easily they swallow thousands of pounds. Be prepared to dig to the low regions of your pockets and get grubby, but in terms of value I don't think you'd ever loose money at £8k unless the car is rotten or bent.
      I will preempt the next question and say your first step will be to get the car running 100% correctly (few are) and then get some good software which will net you around 280hp and 300lbft.
      Following that the easiest upgrade route is an RS2 set-up which with good software will produce a very reliable 360-380hp.

Hope that helps
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Hi Nick and . Very good advice from Dave above. For that reason i'd be offering less than the 8K you mentioned although it's difficult to say without seeing it. There was an estate recently that sold for less than 2k a few months back without an mot i think? Or did it sell for £2.5K? It certainly wasn't any more. It needed a lot of work though. If the above car was in regular use and in good condition all-round then it might be worth close to the asking if it has some nice options? I seam to remember there was a while estate for sale was about 3/4 years ago for £5k. Could it have been the same car?

Again i'm not trying to put you off but have you considered a plus spec car?

Edit, Error has posted whilst i was writing. Again good advice.
        96 URS6 plus speck saloon
        96 URS6 plus speck estate
        94 2.6 80 Avant
        99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

This would be a much better option IMHO
          https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-blue-for-sale
          Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Thanks Very much for the welcome and for your thoughts.

Dave, the idle period and potential problems resulting from it is one of my major concerns. I had a Triumph 2.5 PI a few years back that came to me as a runner (just) after 15 years standing and it took a solid year and quite a bit of cash (at Triumph prices not Audi prices) to get the bugs out of it. This S6 is nothing like that bad as it has had a bit of use this year, but I’d still be concerned about things like wheel bearings and oil leaks appearing if put back into proper use.

I’m not afraid of getting my hands dirty but I am afraid of endless parts bills, especially on top of a strong asking price (no chance of movement on that btw, he’s a dealer with many older Audi’s and will just put it away for a bit if it doesn’t get what he wants). Also, being part way through the full restoration of a Triumph GT6, I’d very much prefer something that just works for the next year or so until I’ve got time to get stuck into it.

I’m not afraid of mileage. My AEL TDI has done 316k and still doing 15k a year. I have no doubt that the oily bits are capable of at least another 100k. However, I know the whole history and that it’s been properly serviced all it’s life - mostly by me. Part of the reason for the second Audiis to take some of the work from TDI and give me time to do a few jobs on it. The A8 was supposed to do that but proved too needy! C4s much better designed & made IMO.

The nogaro car is very nice but £8k is absolute top budget. The white car also has the benefit of being nearby. I don’t think it’s rotten or bent and it seems to drive pretty well....... Decisions decisions......!

Nick

Comment

Working...
            X