Newbie looking to buy- advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich View Post
    Thanks guys tbh I'm not one to keep things standard I like a project and would want to achieve some decent power from it
    Not being funny but this car looks to original to start ripping it to bits to modify it!!!

Comment

Thanks all for your input responses I'll have a chat with him and see what he's has to say

Comment

Originally posted by shaun5 View Post
        Not being funny but this car looks to original to start ripping it to bits to modify it!!!
        You could say that but I plan to own an s2 for the next 10 years if not more and it's my hobbie to work on cars improving them bit by bit to ultimately get a car that is fun to drive but not modified stupidly so it becomes undrivesble on a day to day basis.

I think it's a great car for anyone wanting to have an original car or for someone if they want a clean well maintained base car that they can work on and modify. End of the day a car is your car and what you do to it is up to you.

I appreciate all of your opinions and advice and I hope to see you all soon when I am a s2 owner

Rich

Comment

Probably a 6-7K car, however finding them is really difficult and the right person may well pay 8-9K for it. The problem with this forum is that most folk bought theirs when the price was much lower. You used to be able to get a minter for 5-6K. They are only going up in value now and most folk looking to pick them up to sell on for profit are advertising average cars at 7K+ In a couple of years good examples will be 10k and about time too! They DO need the brakes sorting if they are standard and if you pick one up with suspension/brake/engine upgrades, you will have a car which will a bring a big smile to your face whenever you drive it. They have also got to the age where you get loads of positive comments from petrol heads at the fuel pumps, which is nice when it's your pride and joy. Enjoy your hunt for one and good luck!!
          91 Modded 3B
          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by shaun5 View Post
            Doesn't look like its got much on it (no electric rear windows, cruise) Sorry to say its not worth 10k more like 5k to me.
            Has it had a recent suspension rebuild? only got standard brakes so there is £500-1k extra to spend!!! it all depends on what your plans are for it? keeping it standard will probably increase its value in years to come.
            Looks good spec to me Don't think any S2 coupe came with electric rear windows? Some came with pop out rear windows or were fitted afterwards i'm not sure which, but that's just something else to leak water imo. S2 with cruise is very rare as well so to me it looks like a good spec ABY. Struggling to think of anything it's missing really.

Originally posted by Rich View Post
            Thanks guys tbh I'm not one to keep things standard I like a project and would want to achieve some decent power from it
            Most on here will agree that a few mods are necessary on these cars: engine chip to take it to 270-280hp, engine can handle much more so it's a well known safe mod. Brakes are another necessary mod especially if you chip it. Stainless exhaust is another.

Then you can go mad as well in search of big power, but an original example like this would be nice to see it kept close to original with just the normal mods above. Then again it's up to the owner at the end of the day what they want to do.
            1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Prices definitely on the rise, and again justifiably for a rare car...
              Like Rs2's there's never many S2s for sale - it's not like there are even 2/3 new adverts every week, so equally a hard car to buy....
              As to price, as Steve H says, worth what someone will pay

Comment

[QUOTE=Michael S2;891686]Looks good spec to me Don't think any S2 coupe came with electric rear windows? Some came with pop out rear windows or were fitted afterwards i'm not sure which, but that's just something else to leak water imo. S2 with cruise is very rare as well so to me it looks like a good spec ABY. Struggling to think of anything it's missing really.

You obviously haven't had your Audi/S2 long. Coupe's had pop out windows, still electric rears Early and late cars generally had them but it was optional.
                Late cars (M/N reg) have lots of things on them (RS2 seats, cruise, electric rear windows) because they were essentially run out models.

That car is standard spec, 4 spoke airbag wheel, sunroof was standard, leather was optional.

Things like air-con, cruise, 3 spoke airbag wheel, electric rear windows, leather trim were optional

Comment

^So it has a 4 spoke steering wheel, does't have air con, cruise or electric rear windows so it's a low spec S2 I doubt anybody seriously looking for an S2 would be put off offering good money because of any of these. ABY ,low miles, Volcano black, leather is where the value is assuming all other things are in good order. Exactly how much it's worth is hard to say.

You clearly have superior knowledge on the rear windows though
                  1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Looks like someone bought the car
                    Rob

Ragussa green avant RS2+ spec
                    Racing blue Octavia VRS mk2 estate-Remapped now to 250 bhp
                    Audi coupe gt-slow as hell but loads of character-sold

Comment

While the matter might now be academic for the op if it is sold, I'd still make the following comments for others in the future.

The car is a nice one, but it 'needs' a three spoke steering wheel to be that bit nicer, but with it being black with black leather, two owners and low mileage with history, service history, so it certainly appears to a nice one to buy but stg£10k does sound bit strong even for a dealer.

Prices do appear to be going up a bit compared to the recession price of say five years ago, but it would only really be a good buy at say stg£7,000 and even then it seems dear - No Recaros or air con or three spoke wheel or cruise

Better to save more money / take out a bigger loan and buy an RS2 which a solid investment.

As it is unlikely to have had it's suspension fully taken apart and sandblasted and powder coated and put back together with all new oem bushes, 323mm front brakes and Porsche callipers and new shocks, White Line arb, D1 S8 rims etc. sensible but not drastic upgrades. UK cars due to the salt tend to be whiney onto but have quite rusty running gear that can be tired if they haven't been overhauled by an committed owner such as the ones on here. Just sayin..........

It is not clear if it has black headlining and sun visors etc. - more desirable imho. Opening rear window be nice also but obviously not a deal breaker. Air con and cruise would be nice but probably not items that most people would look to retro fit, so again nice to have but not essential.

Based on the headlights, steering wheel and no zircon, and the tail lights clusters, one would estimate it is a middle of the production run ABY. i.e. not the early ones with V6 type headlights, and not the late one run out ones with all the extras throw in to ensure they sell as the new B5 model was coming out.

As mentioned by Shaun, it is not the car to turn into a full blown project for big power with a GTX-3071 and polybushes etc. Too nice and too standard right now for that 'treatment'.

Purchasers of Coupes also need to know they frequently leak and how to cure the leaks, and also they have to be sold when you start to have a family, if they are not a weekend toy.

At the risk of being repetitive for some, new owners need to be able to spanner on their car, have a back up car / daily driver, spare cash for the unexpected, and be fully committed to S2 ownership, otherwise they'll end up having wasted their time, money and effort and have to sell it.

Probably missed out on a load more pontificating, but the above will do for now.

You can flame me if you want.

HTH.

Last edited by macspring; 7 February 2016, 21:21.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                        pontificating....
                        Always a great word to slip in when the opportunity arises...

Comment

Originally posted by jubjub View Post
                          Always a great word to slip in when the opportunity arises...
                          And never before has a word been more suitably used.

Comment

Originally posted by Cottis View Post

And never before has a word been more suitably used.
                            LOL.

Comment

Thanks

I'm going to see it at the weekend but it's great to have an insight to how much they are worth and some ideas about spec etc. Glad I joined the forum

I will also be looking at two others so hopefully one of them is a go'er.

Cheers

Comment

^^^
                                Indeed. They don't wildly vary in spec... Obviously ABY/6speed all 230 bhp. All running gear standard. It's minor spec changes inside as far as I'm aware. 3 spoke steering wheel, over later bigger airbag square one, cruise control and air con ( although many have had air con removed) and if coupe, opening rear quarters...
                                Biggest tick box would be if you want leather or cloth interior, and same if they were Recaro fronts, but few cars have them.

Aftermarket mods are subjective to owners preferences... Guess it's like playing a hand of pontoon - you look at one - do you stick and buy, or twist and look at /wait for another. Good that you have 3 to look at , that it's be a rarity in itself. It's not like the old days of the auto trader when you could maybe phone up about 8/10 adverts/potentials that week.

You will get a gut feeling if it's for you when you see it, then any checks/inspections after that will confirm. Price - you wil pay/offer what you feel comfortable with
                                Good luck with viewing/purchasing

Oh - have a look over on S2central.net
                                Some good reading over on that

Comment

Working...
                                X