UrS6 defrosting windscreen???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UrS6 defrosting windscreen???

Well there ain't any…….a small bit of rain and windows fog up bad.Is there any way to manually lock the flap in the defrost position and where is it located?
    96 UrS6
    96 UrS6 Avant
    Previous:
    '87 coupe quattro, '85 90 quattro
    '95 S2 Avant '89, 200 quattro 1b
    '00 Allroad 2.7T, '02 S6 V8 Avant

'96 A6 2.5 TDI quattro Avant.

Check plenum drains that's a classic symptom on them being blocked. Pull the rubber bung and bin it. Aircon will also help dehumidify the cabin so keep it on. So the servo flaps work ok and direct the air at the windshield. Something else I find helps in heavy rain is press the 'up' button on the cc head this directs more of the airflow when driving at the windscreen.

Comment

Check plenum drains….ahhh right…….what are they?And no I have no air at the windscreen just the side windows.
      96 UrS6
      96 UrS6 Avant
      Previous:

Comment

found the drains but they have already been debunged so no water gathering,any info on the actuator flap that directs the air to the windscreen as I need to try and set this manually and leave alone?
        96 UrS6
        96 UrS6 Avant
        Previous:

Comment

Originally posted by Thecrispynoodle View Post
          Check plenum drains that's a classic symptom on them being blocked. Pull the rubber bung and bin it. Aircon will also help dehumidify the cabin so keep it on. So the servo flaps work ok and direct the air at the windshield. Something else I find helps in heavy rain is press the 'up' button on the cc head this directs more of the airflow when driving at the windscreen.
          I agree, I always drive around with the up and down direction on and almost never the center direction. Otherwise the center takes up most of the air.
          Hope it's not a leak interior radiator.
          5 cilinder addict:
          1995 UrS6, 2.2 turbo, daily driver, EFI coilkit, custom exhaust.
          1993 S2, 2.2 turbo, ABY, long term project.
          2006 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI. Because reasons.

Comment

These are the first signs of a leaking heating radiator.

Comment

Originally posted by doncecone View Post
              These are the first signs of a leaking heating radiator.
              I did notice a very slight drop in the expansion tank but after two water hoses going in quick succession just put it down to system settling down
              96 UrS6
              96 UrS6 Avant
              Previous:

Comment

Originally posted by a25c View Post
                found the drains but they have already been debunged so no water gathering,any info on the actuator flap that directs the air to the windscreen as I need to try and set this manually and leave alone?
                Check one thing at a time. 1st, does demist button work? Demist function should light on cc head LCD. Blower should (audibly) go to full. All airflow ahould go to windscrren vents. If your vent servos are as slow as mine it might take about 10 seconds for the to reach full windscreen vent position.

Comment

Check one thing at a time. 1st, does demist button work? Demist function should light on cc head LCD. Blower should (audibly) go to full. All airflow ahould go to windscrren vents. If your vent servos are as slow as mine it might take about 10 seconds for the to reach full windscreen vent position.
                  windscreen demist symbol comes on display,fan rises to full blow but no air is being directed onto to windscreen…
                  96 UrS6
                  96 UrS6 Avant
                  Previous:

Comment

Originally posted by a25c View Post
                    windscreen demist symbol comes on display,fan rises to full blow but no air is being directed onto to windscreen…
                    Is it blowing full out of the front vents instead?

Comment

Is it blowing full out of the front vents instead?
                      Yes…
                      96 UrS6
                      96 UrS6 Avant
                      Previous:

Comment

Then either your CC head is faulty and not supplying sufficient voltage to the flap servo or the flap servo has seized. Do you have access to a known good unit to swap and test with?

Comment

No,I've no access to another one.Is the flap servo inside the heater box or where is it located so I can try to change it manually?
                          96 UrS6
                          96 UrS6 Avant
                          Previous:

Comment

mcandmar psosted how to take the flap servos apart and fix them. There can be got to work again with a bit of TLC.

If none of this works, look up urS4Boy's posts re accessing the heater matrix.

Some say you can take it out from under the bonnet, and some say you have to take out the dash, all I know is, either is a royal PITA.

Check out everything else before considering getting at the matrix to swop it out.

Hope there's a happy ending.

Comment

It's buried in the dash. You don't want to go near it unless you are certain that's where the fault lies, in which case you would want to replace all 3 servos and the heater core whilst you're in there. There are a few 'how to' write ups available buts its not a quick job. Try and source a good working CC head first if you can to rule that out. It's not impossible that the CC head is to blame they do fail producing a variety of different symptoms. Has it ever worked? Is the car new to you?

Comment

Working...
                              X