No announcement yet.

Heated seats installed, how to guide...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heated seats installed, how to guide...

Since i've done the Onboard computer and Cruise control i decided to start my next project of installing the factory heated seat elements into my car :mischeif:

Parts needed are as follows,

- Seat heater elements, seat back and base,
    - Wiring looms, one is for power with two relays, and the other for connecting the switches and connecting to instrument illumination,
    - Dash Switches x2,

Seat install,

The seat heaters i got came from an avant so they were a different part number, i can only assume because the avant seats don’t fold forward. From memory the Coupe elements were almost twice the price of the avant seat elements. I can tell you for sure the avant elements work perfectly in a coupe seat.

Taking the seat apart is fairly easy, when you remove the two plastic trims on each side there is a clip that holds the seat onto its pivot point. Unclip those and the back part of the seat separates from the base.

Lie the back part face down so you are looking at the back of the seat where the map holder is. Down the very bottom there are two screws to remove, and then with a flat head screwdriver prise the edge of the material away from the plastic centre and it will pop out, it’s just a force fit to the back part. Once you have done that on each side the back panel will lift out. There are four tabs that the material is held on with at the bottom, prise them back and release the material. Turn the seat over and the middle part of the seat backrest will lift up. The backrest consists of a hard back layer, a half inch layer of foam, and then the cloth cover wrapped around it and stapled onto the hard backing part. The cloth is sewn onto the foam part so you have to place the heater element between the foam and hard backing layer. Using a long ruler you can slide the heater element down the back part of the seat back into position, route the cable out the side of the seat nearest the centre of the car and re-assemble the reverse of above.

The seat base it a little more tricky, when you have the base upside down start from the back and unclip the black trim piece of carpet, on each side you will see a wire hooked around the seat frame, this is what keeps the bottom cover tight onto the seat. Unhook the wire each side to release the tension. There is also four metal tabs on each side where the seat cover is hooked over, bend them back and release the cover material. If you then turn the seat over you can pull the cover up off the base and it will come away in your hand with the foam base attached.

The foam base has two metal rods running through it that the top cover clips onto with hog rings. Have a look at the back edge of the material and you will see there is a metal rod sewn into the top cover that hooks onto the metal rods in the foam with three hog rings, snip them off and you can slide your hand in between the cover and seat foam. This is small section just under you backside. Same as above slide the heater element in between the cover cloth and foam with the aid of a ruler, then using new hog rings crimp the metal rods to each other again. The foam base already has a hole running through it for the cable, push that through and leave it sticking out the bottom of the seat, then re-assemble is reverse of removal in true Haynes manual style

When you have the seat together again you need to connect the wires from the backrest heater to the plug on the bottom heater. If the seat heaters came out of another car the wire will have been cut in order to get it out.

Wiring Loom install: Note do this BEFORE you put the seats back in. BTDT

The entire loom is self contained, I started by removing the centre console around the handbrake and routed each cable under the carpet and out under the seat where the seat mount is, then working forwards I removed the centre console around the gearlever and routed the entire loom up the back of the aux gauges and out above the drivers feet. At this stage you can refit the centre console bits and put the seats back in.

The loom consists of the following,

Two grey plugs = Each seat connector
    Yellow plug = connect to smaller loom for switches
    Two relay sockets = with relays to turn power on/off to the elements
    30amp fuse and holder = it’s a fuse
    Spade connector with fat red wire = main power to system, 30amp switched
    Earth cable = eye type

Small loom consists of,

Yellow plug = connect to main loom
    Two back plugs = plug into each switch
    Small earth cable = eye type too
    Yellow/black cable with spade connector = connect to instrument illumination.

Route the small loom up to the switches and connect them together, then plug the yellow plug into the main loom, the other two cables get routed above the driver feet to the aux relay panel under the dash with the main loom.

At this stage all you have to do is plug the remaining connections in under the dash.

-Two Relay sockets, these clip onto the side of the aux relay panel under the dash, nice and tidy.
    -Earth cables, large one on main loom, and small one from switch loom connect onto the common earth point above the bonnet release. There both an eye type connecter that slide over the stud and get held on with a 10mm nut.
    -Instrument illumination, on the aux fuse board there is a big yellow connector that takes 9 spade connections, there all wired together and only get power when the key is in the ignition, you guessed it this is the common instrument light circuit that’s lights up all the switches when the ignition is on, just plug the yellow/black wire in and the switches light up with everything else. (There was some talk about finding this for wiring in stereos a while back, now you know it’s a big yellow connector with lots of free ports ;-)
    -Fuse and holder, this clips onto the front edge of the fusebox under the bonnet, if you look at the cover position 23 was for heated seats on my car, clip it in that position for the stock look ;-)
    - Big red main power cable, on the bottom side of the fuse box there is a big spade connection free, this is the 30amp switched rail on the fusebox, only gives out power when the key is in the ignition. Plug it in and away you go.

Easy peasy plug and play and it all looks 100% stock, you would never know it was added into the car, I’m chuffed as it heats my backside in about 30secs in the morning

I have plenty of pics from fitting the elements into the seats, if anybody is lost just ask and I’ll try and post a few up.

Hog rings and pliers can be bought cheaply on ebay by the way -> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Hog-Ring-P...QQcmdZViewItem
    You could probably bend the old rings and re-use them but for a few quid you might as well do it properly.
    Last edited by mcandmar; 5 May 2006, 22:19.
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

I fitted the wiring loom in my Cab, I didn't have to install the heating elements as these were already in the leather seats I bought..

I didn't have a fuse on the fat red wire for the loom, which is odd..
    I didn't know about the yellow connector with 9 spade connections for instrument illumination, I found my power for that elsewhere..

If you had any pics of the wiring, that would be helpful..
    1996 A6 TDI Quattro Avant, Xenon HIDs, A4 Autodipping rearview.
    Previous: UrS6 with RS2 bits.. <sigh>

Comment

I can take a few pics no problem as i havent put the lower dash cover back on yet. Strange that you dont have a fuse, that could be interesting if the loom ever gets damaged and shorts out

Whats the temp range like on yours? Number 2 on mine is about right, number 3 has you squirming around in no time, anything higher is too much to handle

Comment

I put a fuse on myself, but I may review it sometime just to make sure I've got it right..

I find that 3 is comfy, 4-6 is too much..
        1996 A6 TDI Quattro Avant, Xenon HIDs, A4 Autodipping rearview.
        Previous: UrS6 with RS2 bits.. <sigh>

Comment

The two relays on the right hand side with the red and black connectors are for the drivers and passengers heated seats. The yellow multi block to the left of them is the instrument illumintion circuit.

The bunch of wires running from the top left of the screen with the big fat brown wire is the loom for the heated seat, yellow plug on the top left is for the switches, and the big red wire going into the white rubber connection on the bottom left is the + power supply for the heated seats.

The loom i got came out of a car with elecy adjustable seats so inside that white rubber boot there was originally 4 or 5 wires crimped together. I only have the one red wire coming out of it now which goes directly into the fuse clipped into the fusebox and then back to the relays as a red/white wire.
          Attached Files

Comment

Seat back with heater installed,
            Attached Files

Comment

Seat base with heater installed..
              Attached Files

Comment

Seat base has three of these hog rings holding the cover on..
                Attached Files

Comment

i guess i have allready seen this seats heating elements somwhere
                  Audi Coupe S2 1993
                  Audi V8 4.2 1993
                  Audi cabrio 1998

Comment

Yep and there working perfectly

Thanks to Joe for the elecy bits too...

Mark.

Comment

Nice work Mark!

Glad to see all those parts I sent you work well!

Now I just need to wireup my whole Coupe-E/s2 conversion and hope nothing gets messup.

Best regards,
                      joe marconi
                      audicoupeparts@sbcglobal.net

Comment

Originally posted by KillweedsES2Project
                        Nice work Mark!

Now I just need to wireup my whole Coupe-E/s2 conversion and hope nothing gets messup.

Best regards,
                        joe marconi
                        audicoupeparts@sbcglobal.net
                        what are you going to wireup?
                        Audi Coupe S2 1993
                        Audi V8 4.2 1993
                        Audi cabrio 1998

Comment

mcandmar!!

I've now bought a loom:

the connectors under the seats:

the connectors under the dash, driver side:

the connectors behind the dash for the controls:

Havent had a look under the dash on how to implement it yet.. but I hope it ain't a PITA but it looks to be easy enough.. I've just laid the loom out on the floor and it has all the connectors that you mention and it should then be a straight fit!

Just one question.. I went to my local VAG-dealer to buy the relay for the seatheating.. this was BEFORE I bought this loom (was gonna make my own somehow..) and they gave me 1(!) relay not 2 as shown by you.. and when i look at your picture as well as the loom itself there really, really <:, appear to be 2 relays needed to make this work <: so my question is, ARE THE RELAYS THE SAME? ie the same p/n, the one I was given is 443 919 533 A... do I simply ask for another one of these or does the second one have some other p/n? if so, what is the p/n? <;

//Cheers Andreas
                          Last edited by Andreas; 6 April 2007, 15:51.
                          Andreas Lundstroem
                          A4 STCC Avant -04
                          Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
                          Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

"Copy from PM's, incase its of use to others"

I am 99% sure that both relays are the same, basically there is one for each seat. Part number i dont know i'm afraid, you can see them in the wiring image, there are plugged into the red and black sockets. (16 mai 1990 written on them)

I can also see the fuse on your loom, two red wires and a red connector, it clips onto the side of the fuse box in position 23 for my car, may be different position for other models but it dosent really mater, the point is that the fuse is accessible from inside the fuse box.

Power connection is important as it needs a LOT of current as its on the 30amp circuit in the fusebox, yellow circuit is only 5amp from memory so it will fry the pants off it if you connect the heaters to that circuit. You should have plenty of spares in the 30amp rail, only other thing i know of that connects there is the elecy adjustable seat loom.

Mark.

Comment

Hello again,

I've popped my head up into the dash today and took some awfully bad-looking pictures of what mark described earlier... the earth point behind the front wing and the big red power connector under the fuse box (located behind the firewall, under the bonnet).

earth point:

power connector (the fuse-holder can be propped up behind that connector and attached to the fusebox for the, to quote mark, "stock look"):

I'm gonna have a word with VAG tomorrow and see if the two relays are the same (and in that case buy another one and plug this kit in during the weekend, and perhaps take some better pics with the camera at that time)

//Cheers Andreas
                              Andreas Lundstroem
                              A4 STCC Avant -04
                              Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
                              Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

Working...
                              X