Cam cover gasket replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam cover gasket replacement

Noticed part of the engine bay gettin oily recently so finally decided to take some action.

oil had began to seep down into the spark plug area so following instructions on S2-audi.co.uk (sorry, couldnt find any on the forum) removed the cover and fitted the new gasket kit.

Part no. A034 198 025 F

outer rubber seal seemed ok, but inner rings around the spark plugs had baked solid which explains why they were letting throu oil. had to be broken off from
    cam cover.

Also found earth strap at rear of cover was loose, so all in all a job well worth doing.

Brian
    Attached Files

That looks a right bloody mess. Well done Brian.

I have a small seeping leak in my engine somewhere, which before I detail the whole engine bay really needs sorting. I am going to have to try and fine it....
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Yep same as mine brain, I changed a week or so ago.

They get really brittle, i thought i had the wrong part when i felt the original one
      Chef

Comment

Hang on mate aren't you starting your maintanance too early this year? At this rate you won't have any jobs to do the night before inters
        Ragusa Coupe gone!
        sigpic
        VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
        VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
        vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

how long did it take to do? Mine is p**sing oil front all sides so one I have to do but strangely the sparks are dry
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

My gasket desparatley needs doing also Pulled the plug covers for Jas to check my spark plugs and they made a rather alarming squelching noise as I pulled them free - sure enough most of the plug chamber was filled with oil!! Eek!
            Trick Pearl White 1992 3B S2 Coupe. Porsche 996 monoblock stopping power! HID Seeing power! Mmmmm Miltek!!!
            Trick Indigo Pearl B5 S4 Recaros, Bose , Mmmm Miltek!!!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crawford_S2 View Post
              Hang on mate aren't you starting your maintanance too early this year? At this rate you won't have any jobs to do the night before inters
              have yet to top up the screen wash and check the tyre pressures . could do that before inters, dont fancy changing the rad again.lol

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Paulgo View Post
                My gasket desparatley needs doing also Pulled the plug covers for Jas to check my spark plugs and they made a rather alarming squelching noise as I pulled them free - sure enough most of the plug chamber was filled with oil!! Eek!
                Def worth doing then. could be very bad news for the engine if the oil prevents the plug from firing .

you should also notice the engine run a bit smoother too.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                  how long did it take to do? Mine is p**sing oil front all sides so one I have to do but strangely the sparks are dry
                  One of those jobs that can be done in about an hour (look up instructions), but best to take your time. took me about 2 hours, then i did an oil change afterwards incase dirt had got in with the cover off .

make sure you have a torque wrench and do the allen keys up evenly in sequence upto 10Nm.

if yours is only leakin from the outside, and the plug holes seem dry it may be worth making sure the outer screws are tight.

If you dont mind a bit of oil over the engine i would just leave it till you really need to do it, i.e. when the plug holes show signs of oil.

then again for peace of mind it would be worth doing when you next have a spare evening.

Brian

Comment

Just out of interest does the front cam seal get disturbed at all by taking the cam cover off?
                    I'm guessing not but I haven't taken one of myself yet (a garage did the RR's previously).
                    The S4 could do with a new cover gasket kit at some stage.

Comment

Its also a good time to have the outside of the cover bead blasted to give it a bit of a spruce up
                      Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by BrianSmith_S2 View Post
                        One of those jobs that can be done in about an hour (look up instructions), but best to take your time. took me about 2 hours, then i did an oil change afterwards incase dirt had got in with the cover off .

make sure you have a torque wrench and do the allen keys up evenly in sequence upto 10Nm.

if yours is only leakin from the outside, and the plug holes seem dry it may be worth making sure the outer screws are tight.

If you dont mind a bit of oil over the engine i would just leave it till you really need to do it, i.e. when the plug holes show signs of oil.

then again for peace of mind it would be worth doing when you next have a spare evening.

Brian
                        Cheers Brian, somehow i think its gonna be a busy year after a couple of not really doing to much
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

have the same problem a little seaping oil in the spark plug tunnels .the next thing to do!!!
                          93 S2 Avant Parting
                          91 URQ RR
                          02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Originally posted by PeteRR View Post
                            Just out of interest does the front cam seal get disturbed at all by taking the cam cover off?
                            I'm guessing not but I haven't taken one of myself yet (a garage did the RR's previously).
                            The S4 could do with a new cover gasket kit at some stage.
                            The outer seal is one piece. There are two inserts however (half moon shape) at the back of the head that may need replacing. Two new ones come with the new gasket set.

Gettin the cover back on with the new gasket seated nicely is a PITA , particularly at the front end near the cam pulley. but with patience can be done eventually. Just take your time and remember to torque up the allen screws in sequence.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by BrianSmith_S2 View Post
                              Def worth doing then. could be very bad news for the engine if the oil prevents the plug from firing .

you should also notice the engine run a bit smoother too.

Brian
                              Was mucho relieved that mine started without a hitch - and has been running generally fine - but its obviously time to get the job done! Want to clean all the oil beather pipes too, got a new flame trap etc and the back of the engine's a bit of mess where there's been oil seepage over type. Might as well sort the dizzy gear etc out at the same time!

Paul
                              Trick Pearl White 1992 3B S2 Coupe. Porsche 996 monoblock stopping power! HID Seeing power! Mmmmm Miltek!!!
                              Trick Indigo Pearl B5 S4 Recaros, Bose , Mmmm Miltek!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X