Tom's Noggy Blue RS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom's Noggy Blue RS2

Many thanks to Tom for agreeing to make the trip up to see me today. He brought his new (to him) RS2 up for the full treatment. Being an RS2 I expected a rather pampered Audi Estate to turn up and to have a relaxing day's detailing ahead of me. Instead Tom brought a thoroughly used and very infrequently washed RS2 that had unfortunately seen little bits of paint here and there and was wearing some rather sorry looking Cup 1's. Never one to be detered, I (along with Tom) got stuck in.

Here it is upon arrival. (Tom also announces that it hasn't seen a wash since he bought it either!)

It Actually doesn't look too bad in these pictures, but in reality the paint was rough, dull and lifeless.

First of all I gave the engine spruce up using some AutoGlym Machine cleaner, various brushes, an old washmitt and some fairy liquid to bring the engine from this:

To this!

The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Whilst I was on with the engine bay Tom began work on the wheels. Unfortunately they have seen better days, so it was just a soak with APC and a shampoo off today:

Before:

After:

The car was then washed with Megs Hyperwash and then rinsed ready for claying. We broke out the Sonus Green clay and did half the car each. The clay removed 90% of the bonded contaminants just leaving behind it about 300 tar spots. While Tom cleaned the door shuts and hinges with APC and shampoo, I set about lying down next to the car to attack the tar with AutoGlym Tar remover. This is a good product, but it still took me nearly an hour to work my around the whole car and clear all the spots.

Next up was the machine polishing stage. I taped up the car ready to set to work:

I completed a test area on the bonnet and decided that I would be able to run with a 4" yellow sonus cutting pad and Menzerna P085RD. This rejuvenated the paintwork and took care of the minor swirls leaving just some small random scratches and marks behind. The Menzerna was followed by some Sonus Paint Cleanser via a 4" White Sonus pad to add a bit of gloss and depth to the paint. The car was finished ready for the winter with AutoGlym Extra Gloss protection.

I should add that while I was machining Tom completed some nice work on the interior transforming the dirty blue Alcantara into a almost new looking fabric again! (Sorry no before's)

The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Before the final shots were taken the really rather dreadful exhaust pipes were polished with a combination of Autosol and 400 grade wet or dry (Yes they were that bad), the tyres were dressed with Megs Endurance tyre gel and the bonnet and bumper grills treated to Back to Black.

Apologies for the final shots, there were taken at 5.00pm and the sun just wouldn't come out. They look good but the difference in the flesh was quite remarkable. Tom and I managed to turn a bit a sorry and unloved RS2 back into a proud German legend ready for the Nurburgring!

A big thanks to Tom for bringing his RS2 up from Hampshire and for getting stuck in and helping. It was a long hard day but well worth the effort.

Comments welcome.

Cheers,

Steve
      The Perfectionist
      sigpic

Comment

Stunning work as usual Steve . Just two questions what is APC (sorry if this has been asked before). What product(s) was used to clean the Alcantara?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
          Stunning work as usual Steve . Just two questions what is APC (sorry if this has been asked before). What product(s) was used to clean the Alcantara?
          Sorry, I tried not to use so many acronyms this time! APC is all purpose cleaner. The Alcantara was cleaned with AutoGlym Interior Shampoo. Tom sprayed it on thinly and then gently massaged it in with a clean microfibre cloth....

Cheers,

Steve.
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic

Comment

looking fantastic as usual Steve......its a funny colour that noggy blue to show any depth, the paint looks very 'wet' though which is what i found with mine when i used the zymol. Probably a million times better in the flesh than the photos will do justice for but still looks great
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

What did you use the fairy liquid on in the engine bay?
              93 S2 Avant Parting
              91 URQ RR
              02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

True, I does look nice in those pics, but both Tom and I were really impressed with the difference in the flesh. The other problem, was that it was nearly dark when we finally buffed the Extra Gloss Protection off, so didn't really get a chance to see the full glory of the Noggy blue....

I am sure Tom will post up some pics when he gets to take some in the sun.

In fact Tom, you HAVE to take some pics in the sun on your next day off....

Cheers,

Steve.
                The Perfectionist
                sigpic

Comment

Good work indeed, that blue is an amazing colour in real life, seems to have a touch of red in it or something..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

Looks great..........but the green coolant does not match the colour scheme !
                    Alastair
                    RS2

Comment

Needs to pink
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic

Comment

Nice work Steve.
                        Inside the arches need doing though mate APC and a foam head bottle and brush make easy work of them

Really need to find the time for a few more details to relax of a weekend
                        Turning stuff away through work being arses

Jas..
                        2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                        2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                        1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Originally posted by Jas11n View Post
                          Nice work Steve.
                          Inside the arches need doing though mate APC and a foam head bottle and brush make easy work of them

Really need to find the time for a few more details to relax of a weekend
                          Turning stuff away through work being arses

Jas..

Those are the before's

Cheers,

Steve
                          Last edited by Fat Audi 80; 28 October 2007, 13:59.
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic

Comment

Nice work Steve. It should be a lot easier for Tom to keep clean now.

It looks like the seats could do with a shave though.
                            SS

Comment

I promise to keep it clean and i will have a shave!!!!!
                              Porsche Cayenne Turbo
                              http://community.webshots.com/user/tornadoquattro100

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=661477270

Comment

Working...
                              X