Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID fitted but autocheck problem!!

Hi guys
    i fitted the HID kit todays but then i got the autocheck bulb warning.
    I read that some of you got the same problem and there is a way to trick the autocheck system. I read the org20 article, but does any of you have a pic of the relay location and what you did to cure this annoying beep......

Don't about S2, but on a coupe it is relay number 6. I had to do this when I put relays in for the H1/H4s I run. What I did was make jumpers, female on one end male on the other. I pulled the relay, connected the females to it, and plug the males into the plug hole. Then I pulled one at a time. Turn off car, pull the next, turn on car and lights, and continue with each one. When the autocheck light went off, I marked that tit.

I pulled the relay, dug out the filler in the base, cut off the offending tit, and epoxyed the filler back in. Put relay back in. No more autocheck telling me I don't have headlights on.

Sorry, don't remeber which tit was the one I cut off.

Greg
    They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Check out these posts

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...&threadid=2641

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...&threadid=1252

Its terminal K on the relay. I took ages finding it, but once I found it, it was a 2 minute job. I just cut it off with a pair of side cutters and stuck a bit of insulating tape over the corner - job done. No more annoying beeps.
      ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Problem solved, no more annoyin beep...
        just twisted the "k" pin on p/n 443 919 469 b relay with number 281 on it under drivers dash.
        Thanks a lot for the help NICK

Comment

Just done this on my car, finally and it nice not to have the beep and that bulb up on the dash all the time.

Greg
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I'm trying to do this mod to my RHD RS2 - how do I find this auxilliary relay thing. Do I have to drop out the glovebox or is that plastic lid with two holes in it an inspection hatch? How do I open it?
            Cheers,
            Chasman
            1994 RS2 in RS Blue Pearlescent

Comment

Chas, if the relays are in the same location as the S2 you will find it under the dash above the pocket under the steering wheel.
              acidtrax

Comment

This is for a s4, but maybe works on the s2!
                (Today i'll install Xenon h1 and do this procedure)

Originally posted by From "www.s-cars.org", don't if already posted:
                Phase 3: Lobotomize the autocheck lamp warning module

For the auto enthusiast who can't discern that a headlight has burned out, Audi has thoughtfully equipped the car with a warning system that beeps and displays a yellow X-ed out bulb in the autocheck display. The lamp warning module o*n the UrS4 is a complex piece of kit located in the main relay box in the plenum under the hood. It also warns for burnt out taillights and brake lights, which is a useful feature. The headlight warning circuit consists of two precision resistors and an IC which compares microcurrents across the headlight bulb filaments. Since the ballasts have a
                different resistance than H1 bulb filaments, the autocheck will drive you to distraction unless you make like a neurosurgeon and lobotomize the thing. The procedure I used is based o*n Igor Kessel's excellent post in the Headlights section of urs4.com, here. Don your scrubbies, wash up, and let's begin.

1. Remove the lamp warning module and gurney it to the operating table. It looks like a double-wide relay and is located in the main relay box under the hood.

2. Remove the cover from the module. Locate the precision resistors for the headlight comparator (Photo L1). The terminals for the headlights are tagged 56bl, 56bl1, 56br, 56br1. It is easy to locate them by turning over the board and following the foil traces from the resistor joints.

3. Flip the board over and locate the solder joints for the resistors and the terminals connected to the resistors. We are going to short out each resistor by soldering together the terminal joints at the bottom of the board and isolate the resistors from the IC by cutting the foil traces o*n the board with a scalpel (or reasonable facsimile - I used an Olfa knife). You may want to cut the traces in an area which makes it easy to re-join them in case you want to restore the autocheck operation when you reach your dotage. Photo L2 shows the board with the modifications complete. Make sure the traces are well cut or the autocheck will still activate, usually o*n bumpy roads.

4. Reassemble the module, insert it in the car, and test. Blessed silence! The operation is a success! The patient is blissfully unaware of the Frankenlamps lurking under the hood! Bwaaahahahahaah!!

5. Enjoy your new high-tech lights!

Photo L1

Photo L2

Audi 100 TDI :mischeif:

MRC remap; Green Injectors; Champion Sparks; Forge DV 006; Samco Intake pipes; K&N filter
                Xenon 6500k; Pillar Boost gauge; Alpine CDA 9835R on Bose with Infinity Sub
                Oettinger 8x18" with GS-D3 225/40ZR18; Bilstein with H&R Springs (-40mm)

www.autopamplona.com
                www.mrctuning.com

Comment

Cheers guys!
                  Cheers,
                  Chasman

Comment

Sweet, my autocheck don't came off maybe because xenon is fifth generation????

Now, i need to remove de yellow of the other ligths
                    Audi 100 TDI :mischeif:

MRC remap; Green Injectors; Champion Sparks; Forge DV 006; Samco Intake pipes; K&N filter
                    Xenon 6500k; Pillar Boost gauge; Alpine CDA 9835R on Bose with Infinity Sub
                    Oettinger 8x18" with GS-D3 225/40ZR18; Bilstein with H&R Springs (-40mm)

www.autopamplona.com
                    www.mrctuning.com

Comment

Chas,

the relay is on a single 'socket' piggy backed with all the others, I found it a lot easier to slide the whole thing off and then unplug the relay, do the work, then slide it back in place. Its not in a nice place to reach, unless your lying on your back with a tourch shining up there!! part number on the realy (if you're lucky!) is 443 919 469A and could... be in number 15 on yours maybe.
                      Martyn
                      -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Jobs a good 'un. Cheers everyone.

I'm converting all lights to LEDs next month - can I turn autocheck off completely so I don't have to spend ages fiddling with ballast resistors? The indicators will still need them to prevent hyper-flashing but I don't want to have to do side and brake lights too... with 10,000+ hours of life their unlikely to fail in the life of the car.
                        Cheers,
                        Chasman

Comment

I have just done this mod and here is a piccy of where you should be going. I managed to pull it out with everything in situ. I did not fancy disturbing something I shouldn't....

You should find relay number 281 (part number 443 919 469) behind 305. I then just folded the "k" pin back and insulated it with some tape.

No more annoying beeping on Autocheck...

Cheers,

Steve
                          Attached Files
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic
                          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

yeah,thats the one....done it on 2 audis already...perfect solution..got it from audiworld forums long time ago...dont remember the guy but thanks to him anyway!

Comment

Now does anyone have a similar trick for the tail light check - I just fitted LED Stop & Tail lights and it works OK when I turn on the ignition and press the brake pedla - I get OK. But as soon as I turn on the lights I get a blown bulb indicator...
                              Cheers,
                              Chasman

Comment

Working...
                              X