spark plugs for s2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spark plugs for s2

hy all, what kind of spark plugs would you suggest for s2 3b. any thoughts about denso iridium IK27?

sla s2
    sla
    '91 s2 3b, 305hp, 480 nm.
    www.4plius.com

I used IW 24's (pretty cold plug for high boost applications) in my evo running upto 1.7bar boost with no probs at all, not sure how they will do in the Audi. depends the replies u get I will be going for them again. You can get them very cheap from Yunus on the evo site.

Paul

Originally posted by sla_s2
    hy all, what kind of spark plugs would you suggest for s2 3b. any thoughts about denso iridium IK27?

sla s2
    S4 2.7 Twin Turbo, with a few mods

Comment

do you think they are going to be too cold for the stock boost?

sla
      sla
      www.4plius.com

Comment

Nothing else but Bosch F5DP0R spark plugs, anything else could cost less in terms of plugs and a lot in terms of engine repair!

There IS NO BETTER spark plug than the F5DP0R for a stock S2 engine, and even up to 400 BHP.

HTH,

Mihnea
        '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
        info@MRCTuning.com
        Workshop Directions

Comment

well said
          ABY Coupe
          sigpic

Comment

thanks Mihnea, you are so certain, as always

sla s2

sla
            www.4plius.com

Comment

Agree with Mihnea on this. Others have tried different plugs, but none are better than the original Bosch items - they aint cheap, but they last about 20k miles which is cool. Something different might be needed in mega-monsters pushing 450bhp or more, but I've never researched into that.

Paul
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Is the Bosch F5DP0R a platinum plug? If it is should it not last more like 40,000 miles???

Mine has bosch platinums but i'm not sure of the model number. They are single electrode plugs, and I was going to research into seeing if they do a triple/quad type plug (Like the bosch super fours). However I think the plug looks too small for them to produce a super four type plug. And I doubt if they do that it would be platinum tipped.

Roo

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
                  Agree with Mihnea on this. Others have tried different plugs, but none are better than the original Bosch items - they aint cheap, but they last about 20k miles which is cool. Something different might be needed in mega-monsters pushing 450bhp or more, but I've never researched into that.

Paul

Damn it. Another reminder of how daft I am. Change plugs every 4k-6k, with the oil and filters! HOWEVER in that short time I have noticed sometimes that a plug or two might not be as tight as it should be. By all means change em every 20k, but check em I would say every 6k. Allen key, spark plug socket, 10 minutes, no more. Might just save you some cash in the long run...

PJ
                  'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

I actually changed my sparks last night after about 28K miles and all 5 looked the same - i think you can tell by the condition of the plug what shape the engine is in and if its got the correct level of fueling etc.

I have taken a (poor quality/focus) picture but hopefully enough for someone to make a judgement. Comes from a 1992 3b with 158860 miles on the clock running a homefry.

I'd describe them as having a blackish (matt) dry coating to the base of the plug, with a slightly grey finish to the once white electrode cover. Comparing them to the previous set they were exactly the same, again with no difference over all 5 pots.

Any ideas?

David
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

@APNess - it is normal for the plugs to wriggle a little loose. I've seen mine do that too once in a while...

Paul
                      Paul Nugent
                      Webmaster http://S2central.net
                      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

dut if you have 500hp wich spark plugs shuld you use then?
                        ABT C5 Lord Of The Rings
                        2004 1/4 Mile ET 12.00 191Km/h @1,5Bar
                        2009 1/4 Mile ET 11.92 213Km/h @ 1,5Bar 437WHp
                        2010 1/4 Mile ET 11.45 110Km/h @ 1,5Bar 437Whp
                        kostic.nu

Comment

the main reason they work loose is over time they have been tightened too much or too little when they have been fitted over the years and the threads arent as good as they once were.

Greg
                          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Crap in the threads will also prevent a proper preload being achieve when torquing up the plugs. I can only reccomend cleaning the spark plug recesses and the place where the plugs seat. I use 25Nm and have absolutely no problem anymore with loosening plugs. I cleaned mine out with a solvent soaked rag wrapped around a piece of wooden dowel. A large stiff pipe cleaner is good for cleaning the threads. Shine a torch diwn the Spak plug holes after you have removed them and I guarantee they will be dirty.

Finally, do not reuse these plugs. The integral washers are only designed for a single application.

Lee
                            1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                            Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee

Finally, do not reuse these plugs. The integral washers are only designed for a single application.

Lee
                              MMM didnt know that.
                              Rob W
                              04 Audi S4 Avant
                              55 Merc 220cdi c class estate Family hack.
                              92 Audi S2 3b Sadly gone.
                              1969 mustang fastback 302. Dry storage

Comment

Working...
                              X