I need a catch tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a catch tank

I've decided I'm not plumbing the crankvent through my nice new turbo so the PCV has to go. There's a load of catch tanks on Egay but what to buy?? I fancy one of those small square-ish ones but they only seem to have 2 inlets at the top and I need one for the crank case and one for the Cam cover , some of them only have 10mm connections and some have 15mm. I would like a sight tube on the side so I can see when to empty it too.
    Heres one
    Here's another The exit on the top adds a lot of height though so I'd prefer an extra top or side outlet..
    Anyone know of one easily available?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

I made my own. Pipe from crank case goes into bottom of catch tank, that way, it drains back into the sump. There's a filter in the catch tank which stops any spillage, works really well, plenty of gasses go backwards and forwards, and so far, no gummy oil deposits in the catch tank either. I've also put a small sausage filter on the cam cover rather than pipe it across.
    Oh, but this is on a na 2.0 audi - its my development mule when its passed the 6 month no-problems mark, I'll make anothe for my S2
    sigpic

Comment

I think Darren's (Djones) was an elegant, though home made solution....
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I bought one of these, seduced by the colour, it comes with 2 sets of adaptors, 9 and 15mm so I should be able to just tap an extra hole and plumb in the cam cover to a 9mm.

Hey Gary, they do them in red too

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
          I bought one of these, seduced by the colour, it comes with 2 sets of adaptors, 9 and 15mm so I should be able to just tap an extra hole and plumb in the cam cover to a 9mm.

Hey Gary, they do them in red too
          PMSL cheers John, tell ya what, you show me how to plumb it in and where to mount it, and i could be tempted :mischeif: seeing as i got one PCV hose gone allready....
          Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

Originally posted by madwolf_Uk View Post
            PMSL cheers John, tell ya what, you show me how to plumb it in and where to mount it, and i could be tempted :mischeif: seeing as i got one PCV hose gone allready....
            Yep, good plan, you could buy 3 of these for the price of that 1 hose too

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Ah but the hose i need is only £27 so how much more is it gonna cost me for the rest, thats the thing.......

Found a Red one btw lol
              Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

Square or round?? Thats your next decision..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Square cos round would look so outta place, my worry is, where the hell to mount it, unless its battery relocation time, you got an angle grinder?
                  Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

plenty of room in front of the rad

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Thats a fair point actually, hadnt thought of that, dont wanna block off too much airflow for cooling though, that where ya sticking ures?
                      Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

barry aka gnutz makes them too

Comment

For a catch tank with a drain back to the sump - just make sure it returns BELOW the tide in the sump... If you don't return oil directly to oil, then there's gonna be positive crankcase pressurising the catch tank and it won't drain as you'd like.
                          Paul Nugent
                          Webmaster http://S2central.net
                          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

If your going to do it buy a cyclone separator like the one Dom made or the one 034 sell http://www.034motorsport.com/product...roducts_id=170

Comment

Have a look at my thread John, I had one made up custom like by Alifab123 on Ebay (Pete) he was really helpful and even remade it FOC for me! Mine sits where your battery is () but I'm sure you could modify the design somewhat. His number is 07834182486, I sent him a 'fag packet sketch' of what I wanted and he made it, sweet as anf £40 delivered in ally with some nice welds and all the features I wanted.
                              Cheers'en, AndyC
                              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
                              X