RS2 handling/steering advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 handling/steering advice

Ive spent ages searching the forum looking up how to improve the steering, turning and feedback of my RS2 but Im getting frastrated. I still havent got a car I can pick up by the scruff of the neck and throw down the road.

My RS2 is basically a standard daily driven car done 192,000kms which I have owned for the last 8 months. In the last two months I have replace the top mounts with OEM RS2 top mounts, fitted new Goodyear F1 GSD3 tyres (225/45/17) and had a new wheel alignment. These chances improved the car but I dont have the confidence in the mechanical grip and feedback to drive it hard.

What would you advise I change to improve the feedback and handling?

Is there a magic bullet?
    1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
    1995 Audi RS2

coilovers will def improve the handling by far
    than upgrade the subframe bushings, control arm bushings
    and if you want quick steering response check out this rack from 034.. not sure if thie will fit the rs2 though
    http://www.034motorsport.com/product...roducts_id=817
    Pete
    Audi 90 Quattro (typ B4)
    AAN swap in progress

Comment

Ive read about bolts that had stretched on a bracket around the steering rack.
      Is this common?
      How do the stretch?

Also, thought I better add that my shocks still feel in good nick, so they arent letting me down.

Sharper handling and improved feedback is what Im after.
      It doesnt feel like the car needs to be upgraded, just refreshened if you know what I mean?
      1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
      1995 Audi RS2

Comment

Strut tops seemed to make a big difference on mine.(alloy ones)

Comment

that steering rack IS already on the RS2.it is not an upgrade for the S2/RS2.

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
            that steering rack IS already on the RS2.it is not an upgrade for the S2/RS2.
            Hey, pal, could you please share some details? Do you mean, that RS2 rack has only 2 full circles from left to right? and is SHORTER, then S2 one?
            - Racing. Cause football, baseball, bowling & golf take only 1 ball.

Comment

Changing the wheel alignment is said to be a cheap and quick change.
              Giving it 1° more (compared to the standard settings) camber in front should reduce understeer and give sharper turn in.

Comment

Depends what you are seeking feedback or handling. You will never get the feedback of a well set up RWD car but you can get better handling.
                The alignment setting above worked for me but again it was done by a experienced 'one man' outfit here in Edinburgh. But that was after a series of suspension changes. You need fresh dampers OEM or Koni (remember that they may feel OK but you feel the handling has deterioated how old are they). Fresh front bushes throughout. Correct tyre pressure (after 5 years I always seem to go back to 38psi on 17"/225/45 tyres).
                The car now handles so well that my thoughts of replacement fade by the day.
                Alastair
                RS2

Comment

The S2 / RS2 rack is 2.5 turns IIRC

Comment

The weight of the RS2 and the inert steering means that it'll never be that great. A faffing graet big rear roll bar will help, as will sticking a 26mm S2 ARB on the front, should liven things up. Offset from subframe bushes will help as it gives more castor and an adjustment to the camber and toe settings by someone who sets up race cars will work nicely. Poly will stiffen things up, a proper race seat also puts you much more in touch with the chassis than the armchairs but don't expect a revalation, more of an understanding of how squidgey the stock chassis is.

Basically an S2/RS2 is a slow-in-fast-out car, use the weight at the front to induce some lift-off oversteer into the corner to help get the car setup and then libearlly apply the throttle to get it back on line and expect a touch of power understeer on the exit. Think of it as a 2 ton hot hatch and you'll do a lot better, smooth BMW driving doesn't work with these IMO get it dancing about and enjoy. The other thing to try is left foot braking to temper turbo lag, it's a good way of killing clutch and brakes but you can always kid yourself that you're Stig Blomquist
                    Cheers'en, AndyC
                    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                      The S2 / RS2 rack is 2.5 turns IIRC

Checked mine S2 1992 3B - it is exactly 3 turns.
                      - Racing. Cause football, baseball, bowling & golf take only 1 ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                        The weight of the RS2 and the inert steering means that it'll never be that great. A faffing graet big rear roll bar will help, as will sticking a 26mm S2 ARB on the front, should liven things up. Offset from subframe bushes will help as it gives more castor and an adjustment to the camber and toe settings by someone who sets up race cars will work nicely.

Basically an S2/RS2 is a slow-in-fast-out car, use the weight at the front to induce some lift-off oversteer into the corner to help get the car setup and then libearlly apply the throttle to get it back on line and expect a touch of power understeer on the exit. Think of it as a 2 ton hot hatch and you'll do a lot better, smooth BMW driving doesn't work with these IMO get it dancing about and enjoy. The other thing to try is left foot braking to temper turbo lag, it's a good way of killing clutch and brakes but you can always kid yourself that you're Stig Blomquist

Spot on!
                        Last edited by Lloyd; 26 May 2009, 10:37.
                        RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtylouie View Post
                          Checked mine S2 1992 3B - it is exactly 3 turns.
                          ABY and RS2 have a different rack non servotronic

Comment

for the track
                            Alastair
                            RS2

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd View Post
                              Spot on!
                              Great minds
                              Cheers'en, AndyC
                              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment