Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the front pulley weight the same in 3b/aby/aan ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the front pulley weight the same in 3b/aby/aan ?

Hello,

I know the front pulleys are different in 3b, aby, aan but is the weight the same in those pulleys ?

Can somebody verify that for me ?
    AKmotorsport.net - Manufacturing Motorsport parts that do the job. | Audi S2 on Facebook | Best way of reaching me is sending email to albert@akmotorsport.net

The 3B is lighter than the ABY and AAN I posted up the weights in another thread can't think which one it was I believe it was to do with 7A flywheels

Comment

Is this the info you are looking for? Not sure about AAN.

Comment

Is there also different versions of each for cars with Aircon and those without?

Comment

Originally posted by epic View Post
          Is there also different versions of each for cars with Aircon and those without?
          Yes

Comment

So which one is best to use if you're not having aircon?

Is it about rotating mass and lower being better?

Comment

yes. the lower mass the better.
              AKmotorsport.net - Manufacturing Motorsport parts that do the job. | Audi S2 on Facebook | Best way of reaching me is sending email to albert@akmotorsport.net

Comment

I have a 3B one, alittle lightened. Best way to keep the harmonic damper as well.
                Chef

Comment

the problem is that the stock engine crank is not balanced at zero. So to play safe you have to use stock front pulley and stock flywheel that are also not balanced to zero. But together with the crank they are perfectly balanced.

Comment

I was told by Aelred that ABY and AAN are different also, I was looking to get an AAN one he was selling as a spare. Not sure what the differences are tho having not compared them.
                    Cheers'en, AndyC
                    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                      I was told by Aelred that ABY and AAN are different also, I was looking to get an AAN one he was selling as a spare. Not sure what the differences are tho having not compared them.
                      Yeah AAN uses different belts so the pulley grooves are different.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30300

Comment

S2

Damper 034 105 251 M
                        Pulley 054 105 255 E

S6

Damper 054 105 251 J
                        Pulley 054 105 255 A

From a previous thread on alloy front pulleys, I think the outcome was that you need to keep the pulleys with the crank they were designed for, i.e. ABY crank requires ABY pulley, I think it was also true that this was independent of which flywheel was used as the pulley damps the crank rotational vibration after the FW because the FW is attatched to the large mass of the drivetrain and thus car.
                        Cheers'en, AndyC
                        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                          keep the pulleys with the crank they were designed for, this was independent of which flywheel was used as the pulley damps the crank rotational vibration after the FW because the FW is attached to the large mass of the drivetrain and thus car.
                          +1

The pulley is an harmonic vibration damper. Altering the weight means you change the balancing frequencies.
                          I've seen some hard way learning on an engine dyno were the IL5 TDI pulley (dual mass) ripped next to the vulcanised rubber.
                          Dyno operator confirmed the shivering was noticable on 'x', '2x', and '3x' rpm.

Case closed.

Comment

So Audi didn't zero balance the individual components at the factory, but rather the assembled unit was balanced together?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffiano View Post
                              So Audi didn't zero balance the individual components at the factory, but rather the assembled unit was balanced together?
                              Yes, they are balanced as part not as single pars.

Comment

Working...
                              X