Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rustynuts 90Q RS Project.

Hi People

I've been a member of the forum for a long while now and during that time have been busy searching, asking questions and learning what I can to help build my project - a B3 90 Quattro Sport with an S2 ABY engine conversion.
    To begin with all I wanted to do was the conversion and leave it at that but thanks to this forum i've ended up going back to the drawing board and spending far too much money...! However, thanks to everyone who has so far shared their invaluable knowledge and big thanks to Neil Trescothick and Alex Chenery at AllAudi for doing all the work and Dean for putting up with the car being at the garage for so long!

Unfortunately i've lost most of the early build photos however I did find some to give you an idea of where it all began. I'll slowly add photos to the thread (this is my first proper thread with photos so hopefully it will work ok!) and bring you up to speed with where we are with the build at the moment.

The car before any work was done...
    P1170001.jpg
    P1170003.jpg

The first jobs were Brakes (996's and carriers courtesy of BRY) with braided hoses and Brembo A8 discs, suspension - Coilovers, adjustable Koni's and a 5 stud hub conversion.

Brakes before..
    DSCF0005.jpg
    And after..
    P4250069.jpg
    Last edited by RustyNut; 5 October 2010, 22:52. Reason: detail
    Old Stuff Reborn.

Once the engine conversion was done I set about deciding what I wanted to do next. I wanted to get the maximum out of the engine with relatively off the shelf items and decided to aim for the 450HP mark.

The beginning...
    P1010044.jpg

Engine out...
    P1010042.jpg
    P1010043.jpg

Start stripping it...
    P1010047.jpg
    P1010046.jpg
    P1010048.jpg
    P1010050.jpg

Coilover pic...
    P1010051.jpg
    Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

Next was compiling all the parts needed.
      Here's some of what we got...
      P1010046.jpg
      P1010049.jpg
      P1010051.jpg
      P1010052.jpg
      P1010053.jpg
      P1010056.jpg
      P1010057.jpg
      Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

Supertec Nitrided exhaust valves...
        P1020014.jpg

Intercooler and IC support bracket (S2Bo special)
        P1020015.jpg

The Clutch, flywheel, crank, rods and front pulley were balanced by Phillip at Bassett Down Balancing...
        P1010059.jpg
        P1010060.jpg
        P1010061.jpg

The original Crank was found to be ever so slightly bent so a replacement had to be sourced... A common issue?
        Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

Next we sent the block off to be properly cleaned and then gave it a coat of lovely blue engine paint..
          P1010044.jpg
          P1010042.jpg

The head was then sent off to have the ports sorted out..
          P1030272.jpg
          P1030273.jpg
          Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

Next step was to start putting everything back together.
            One of the only things I regret so far was not buying new pistons but at the time I just couldn't afford them... Hopefully the originals will hold out!

P1010045.jpg
            P1010064.jpg

OEM RS2 Hardened main bearings going in with the connecting rods in place..
            P1010065.jpg
            Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

Next on was the head, exhaust manifold and turbo.
              The exhaust manifold was used but hadn't done many miles and had the added bonus of being ceramic coated. I had previously purchased an 034 RS2 replica EM but decided to go for an equal length manifold instead to give the gasses better flow and reduce the risk of pulsing. Not sure how i'm going to plumb the IC pipes and air filter in yet but hopefully there will be enough room left when i'm finished! The Turbo is a Garrett GT3071R. It was a toss up between this and the 2871r but in the end I was prepared to sacrifice a slightly earlier spool for higher top end power. Hopefully it was the right choice..

P1030267.jpg
              P1030261.jpg
              P1030275.jpg
              P1030260.jpg
              P1030277.jpg
              P1030258.jpg
              P1030262.jpg
              Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

Nice project. The piston will hold up the power of a gt30r. Good luck with the rest of the build.
                RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
                RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
                Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
                High Octane website

Comment

top work. Im sure i recognise that car from somewhere?
                  Always good to see lots pf piccies
                  Gav
                  S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Next job was to assemble the head.

Some pics of the lifters and cams installed.

Standard inlet cam with 7a exhaust.
                    P1010041.jpg
                    P1010042.jpg
                    P1010043.jpg

Wastegate on, Cam cover on. Powder coated in black.
                    P1010010.jpg
                    P1010012.jpg

Most of the re-useable bolt on parts (brackets, fuel rail etc) were powdercoated in silver. Water and oil pumps etc were replaced with new OEM.
                    P1030257.jpg
                    Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

[ATTACH]21565[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21567[/ATTACH]

P1030854.jpg

Getting ready to put the engine back in the bay. Track density mounts were chosen to keep things tight.
                      P1030855.jpg
                      Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

Thanks for the comments chaps. Reassuring to know the pistons will be ok.
                        @Gav, I think I met you at Tims place and at Oulton Park a few years ago? QRS did the initial conversion on the car.
                        Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

AAAAAAAHH..........................i remember now. Russ? ill drop you a pm in a bit for a catch up. Didnt we share a floor at Tims? lol
                          S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

?

Did you lube the cam bearings and lobes when you installed them...cant see any evidence.
                            Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

The guys were very thorough with lubing and oiling the parts as they were installed.
                              Last edited by RustyNut; 5 October 2010, 22:51. Reason: spelling..
                              Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

Working...
                              X