Rustynuts 90Q RS Project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my 'rambeling' dear james was going for this statement:

1) I need a stiffer wastegate spring to match the pressure created by the 3071. Which spring should i use?

getting to the conclution that you may not need any stiffer spring as the OEM spring can make 1.7bar which is the end for this turbo anyway.

but then again, you 'guys' are the all knowing, so the rest shouldnt even bother.

carry on..

Comment

A80, you've inadvertantly answered a future question about the wastegate spring - Cheers! Didn't put 2&2 together as my focus is on getting the car started at the mo'. If you find a good spring match to the 3071 then please let me know. I've got a thousand miles of running in to do before i get to see what the rebuild has achieved but do want to make sure everythings perfect before the re-map.
      Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

1.9 spring which give 0.9 boost will be what you want. Gives better boost spool

Comment

Cheers Jamo, where's the best place to purchase one?
          Old Stuff Reborn.

Comment

034 or I heard MRC sell them also

Comment

Mihnea and Erdal were fond of the original spring,not an uprated one and knew how to map this turbo accordingly. Since you can still go to the full potential with this spring, they will tell you that there is no need for stiffer.

Personally i use an original stiffness spring with VEMS at the moment and have reached the full potential of the turbo.I could go a bit higher with overboosting,but there is no meaning to it.

Comment

What crack pressure do you want Russ, an off the shelf spring can be chosen to give the characteristics you want, I mathematically modeled the WG earlier in the year so can help you find a spring to suit, let me know if I can help.
                Cheers'en, AndyC
                1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

uhh... I see a nice 90TQ under construction! congrats m8!
                  - Looking for a S2
                  - Lancia Dedra HF turbo i.e. (4sale)
                  - Typ89 Coupè quattro, 20Vt AAN, VEMS, K24-7000@1.3bar (scrapped )

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                    Mihnea and Erdal were fond of the original spring,not an uprated one and knew how to map this turbo accordingly. Since you can still go to the full potential with this spring, they will tell you that there is no need for stiffer.

Personally i use an original stiffness spring with VEMS at the moment and have reached the full potential of the turbo.I could go a bit higher with overboosting,but there is no meaning to it.
                    Oh really so how come Mihnea and MRC have used the uprated spring in RS2 setups and large bhp cars?...........

Repo also recommends the use of the spring

Comment

i stated what i was told about the 3071R when mihnea had mapped a few cars as well as Ross's car. I am not aware of what he is doing atm.He may have changed his view about the 3071R.

I am NOT talking about higher bhp cars. how did you get that impression? geezz

higher BHP cars have larger benefit of a stiffer spring as it also helps spooling and lag reduction(a bit)

Comment

I want a big spring in mine, sent one off to Paul that was adjustable between 2.0 and 2.4 Bar , he called it a 'bed spring' Having tested a few springs, mechanical boost early on is a lot more direct and ideal for a sportier feel, not sure I'd want it on a daily though as it gives over 1 bar on part throttle, makes for some interesting maouvers in town
                        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I would go for a 1.9 bar spring as Jamo said. It will gives a slighty earlier spool as it will keep the WG closed a little bit better, when the turbo is still spooling up, and you can have it ramp up to 2 bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                            I want a big spring in mine, sent one off to Paul that was adjustable between 2.0 and 2.4 Bar , he called it a 'bed spring' Having tested a few springs, mechanical boost early on is a lot more direct and ideal for a sportier feel, not sure I'd want it on a daily though as it gives over 1 bar on part throttle, makes for some interesting maouvers in town
                            Bed spring

Comment

and 2 bar after 6000rpm will also get you off the map as well

Comment

2 bar spring doesn't hold 2 bar to the redline, not on a k24-7000 anyway, the springs I tested dropped off by up to 50% gauge, 18 PSI gauge dropping to 11 PSI gauge is a typical example. Would vary with the characteristics of the hot side.
                                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                                X