Smoke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke!

Went out for a run this afternoon and just as I was getting close to home again I noticed two seperate clouds of smoke coming out the back! It happened each time just for a few seconds but thankfully didn't give me the full 'Kimi Raikkonen' experience.. ie, I made it back to the pits. Ok, my flat.

Obviously the car has never ever done this before, the only long-term off-the-road time I had was last year when the ignition coil went and the stealers scratched their heads for six months.

What is this new devilry sent to test my patience? I need to do Glasgow to Bradford on Tuesday so a fully-functioning engine would be welcome..

Agh!
    Irvin

'08-'0?:
    '97 Coupe, Kingfisher Blue
    '01-'08:
    '93 ABY Coupe, Milltek cat-back, Alpine dvd Sat-Nav/Changer

www.irvinduguid.com

what colour smoke was it? what state was the engine in at the time?

Greg
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
      what colour smoke was it? what state was the engine in at the time?

Greg
      Em, black/grey? smoke..

Just coming back into town so the engine was probably starting to get up to temp again. (It usually runs cold, only hitting 90 in town). Apart from that, fine really, nothing unusual!
      Irvin

'08-'0?:
      '01-'08:

www.irvinduguid.com

Comment

Just checked oil level, it's at the bottom marker though the car is sitting forward at quite a steep angle. Last service was 1800 miles ago.
        Irvin

'08-'0?:
        '01-'08:

www.irvinduguid.com

Comment

Originally posted by irvind
          Just checked oil level, it's at the bottom marker though the car is sitting forward at quite a steep angle. Last service was 1800 miles ago.
          Always check on flat surfaces... Also mine chucks out black smoke when ive got a boost leak... I think its something to do with the fueling with the excess air....
          Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Does sound like it could have been a fueling problem. Blue smoke would suggest oil burning, so it's hopefully not a mechanical issue.
            91 Modded 3B
            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH
              Does sound like it could have been a fueling problem. Blue smoke would suggest oil burning, so it's hopefully not a mechanical issue.
              Don't think it was blue smoke..

I'm guessing I should whisk it off to the garage rather than drive about in it?
              Irvin

'08-'0?:
              '01-'08:

www.irvinduguid.com

Comment

Yeah it would be worth getting it checked out for peace of mind. Has the fuel filter etc been changed?

Greg
                Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Just checked and the fuel filter wasn't changed at the last service, though it had a new fuel pump at about xmas time so it might have been done then, not sure though.

Checked the oil with the car on the flat and the level is fine, up at the top.
                  Irvin

'08-'0?:
                  '01-'08:

www.irvinduguid.com

Comment

Gonna stick it in the garage, too worrying to take on a long drive. Mechanic geezer reckons it might be running too rich. Been using coolant recently too, don't know if that's related. I'm ok at changing wipers and putting petrol in but other than that...!

Thanks for the advice again people!

Cheers
                    Irvin

'08-'0?:
                    '01-'08:

www.irvinduguid.com

Comment

Latest news is that there's oil getting into the exhaust system somehow, and he suspects dodgy turbo seal. Apparently the smoke is blue, not black as I thought it was, and it's not running rich so the cat is fine. They're taking the turbo off tomorrow so hopefully I'll know more then. He also said something about the ECU 'not recognising boost' or something.. I can't remember his words since it means nothing to me anyway...!

Q. Are there one or two cats on the ABY? Seem to remember hearing two somewhere..
                      Irvin

'08-'0?:
                      '01-'08:

www.irvinduguid.com

Comment

Originally posted by irvind
                        Latest news is that there's oil getting into the exhaust system somehow, and he suspects dodgy turbo seal. Apparently the smoke is blue, not black as I thought it was, and it's not running rich so the cat is fine. They're taking the turbo off tomorrow so hopefully I'll know more then. He also said something about the ECU 'not recognising boost' or something.. I can't remember his words since it means nothing to me anyway...!

Q. Are there one or two cats on the ABY? Seem to remember hearing two somewhere..
                        You have 2 cats on an ABY.

If your turbo seal has gone the best and cheapest option is to have the turbo rebuilt. I sent mine to AET in wakefield £260 + vat later it came back like new!

http://www.aet-turbos.co.uk/

HTH
                        Attached Files
                        Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

I also have the smoke. It's smell like a lot of fuel(damn lot) and the car just don't go over 2,200-2400RPMS when i try to accelerate , but when i do this slowly it's accelerating !!!

Any suggestions ? Please not expensive ones

Vadim.
                          Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

Or get a bigger one
                            Attached Files
                            Martyn
                            -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

wish I could F/Fwd the clock a year...
                              Attached Files
                              Martyn
                              -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com