Windy wipers / windscreen aero wipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windy wipers / windscreen aero wipers

On todays sprint over the A34 rollercoaster on a drizzly morning (with my stupid dicky wiper relay that I must replace ASAP) it occured to me that the relatively high position of the windscreen wipers must contribute to wind noise which is louder than I would like.

Just took a quick search on the 'net and found that some kind souls at S2power.com have already solved this one. Neat or what...

http://www.s2power.com/ruitenwissers-en.html

I'll see if I can rustle up some part numbers and try this out. If I can't afford the biggest turbo in an S2, I can rest assured that I will have the best wipers !

Paul

Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Paul

That's really spooky I was looking at the very same thing this morning and thinking what a good idea it was!

Also I really like those S8 18" Avus wheels on the red coupe as they look almost indentical to the standard 6 spoke S2 avus just bigger.

http://www.s2power.com/porscheremmen.html

Does anyone know if they were ever fitted to the S8 in the UK or where I might look for a set?

Leigh
    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Yeah - those S8 alloys are sweet alright. I think they were available in the UK. Kinda weird that 320-360mm discs don't look that large behind a set of 18"s...

Paul
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Maybe the wheels were off the early S8 as the spokes aren't quite as square edged as say the S4 or S6 alloys

When my brother got married (5 or 6 years ago) his wedding car was a silver S8. He was working for Car Magazine at the time and they had it on test from Audi (German plates and LHD) it was the only one in the UK and I seem to remeber the wheels were very similar to these.
        Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

******, now i'm gonna be checking this out on the way home and you just know that something that never even crossed my mind before is gonna bug the hell out of me
          Jim

Comment

Looking on that site tells us of some usefull hints to find leaks within the system, if anyone would like to borrow, i have manufactured a polypenco plug for the MAF to turbo hose with a machined down 1/8 bsp fitting which will go onto a tyre compressor, will take a photo of it and post it. Just call me and i can send it
            Graham
            Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

I'd say those Avus wheels are indeed the earlier S8 ones only used on the S8 up til 1999. Theya re 8J x 18" but with an offset of 48mm !! They were part number 4D0 601 025N Z17. The hub caps on those are the OE RS4 ones which look kinda nice I think. Those wheels are about £250+vat each which isn't bad for an 18" OE wheel, but I wonder about the offset, its very large and would of maybe caused some fouling unless maybe spaced out?

If any one can advise with 100% certainty about offsets???? then there is an OE 18" Avus which is 8J wide and an offset of 45mm, which is an abosolute steal!! (well from me anyhow), here she is and I bet we could fit the RS4 'rivet' hub caps on them too :-)

Last edited by Martynf; 27 August 2003, 20:49.
              Martyn
              -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Martynf
                but I wonder about the offset, its very large and would of maybe caused some fouling unless maybe spaced out?
                Definitely need spacers to get the inside of the wheels away from the steering arms.
                S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Windy wipers

I was looking at these windy wipers - but I'll let you, Paul, work out which ones we need - I need to let my smoking Visa card cool down :wacked:
                  S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Doug 'the wheel' to the rescue

Doug, those wipers, I've had a set on back order for over SIX WEEKS!!! if they ever come in, I'll let you know how well they fit. The 'aero' wipers are very, very quiet with wind noise, and they look very good! or not as the case may be (hidden)
                    Last edited by Martynf; 27 August 2003, 20:53.
                    Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

The only thing with aero blades is setting them up properly and keeping them clean. It's amazing how fast they can wear out if you don't have them lined up properly or they get a coating of road dirt on them. Having said that when they are working they are superb.

What part numbers have you gone for Martyn? I've been thinking about getting some in 'for stock'. Did you go for Lupo GTi or the new Polo ones? or maybe some Audi variant?

Ben
                      the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                      1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Ben,

The Lupo GTi ones seemed about the closest in dimensions, but they are the ones on long back order :-(
                        Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

I am using A4/s4 wiper arms

Figured I mention

I did it out of personal taste more than anything.

But I am using A4/s4 wiper arms.
                          A little shorter sized wipers.
                          and the a4/s4 wind deflector.

Wiring my car as I type this and guess what..

Damn wipers go on, stay on,will not shut off, and only go one speed. I am going to be reading schematics for a while to try to figure this one out.

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/19850/00000007.1.jpg
                          Last edited by Josh-stateside; 1 September 2003, 04:55.
                          I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

Originally posted by Martynf
                            Ben,

The Lupo GTi ones seemed about the closest in dimensions, but they are the ones on long back order :-(
                            Lupo GTI wipers are the mod de jour for Golf/Corrado/Scirocco/Ibizas etc. etc., hence the huge demand. Last time this happened (Leon Cupra R brakes for mk3 Golf/Corrado etc.) as soon as the parts became available the price went up.

Steve
                            Avant. Stock.

Comment

so that's why the very long delay!! I bet the price does go up too!
                              Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Working...
                              X