Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting the Diverter Valve...

Hi guys,

My car has had some work carried out by a (formerly trusted) company that used to really know their stuff but their top guy, the MD, has taken more interest in visiting his house in another country and as a result the quality of their work has really dropped..

Anyway, since the car has been returned it runs very sweetly until it comes on boost whereby it holds back, hesitates and shunts back & forth and just will not be revved. I've had a quick look under the bonnet (in the dark!) and it appears as though the Diverter Valve is connected to the valve situated at the top of the Wastegate.

Surely this can't be right?! What small hose should be connected to the diverter valve instead?

If anyone has some advice, I'd really appreciate it as I don't want to drive the car in fear of damaging if I have to put my foot down for whetever reason.

Cheers.

WTF!
    THats all wrong, go back and give them a slap!
    91 S2 coupé - RIP
    98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

It should be connected as follows,
      The small 3mm nipple on top of the DV to the inlet manifold, the 25mm connection oppersit the 3mm nipple to the turbo hose and the 25mm connection on the side of the valve to the maf hose.

The nipple on top of the wastegate should be left as it is, no pipe is needed there and no valve either, You only need one N75 valve to control the boost, that should be connected to the turbo, the maf hose and the lower wastegate chamber.
      91 S2 coupé - RIP
      98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Thanks for the reply Bo, I really appreciate it.

I just don't trust them to do anything anymore so I think I'll have a crack. I can't do a worse job than them can I?

Just for reference, where abouts is the connector on the IM that I should be connecting it to?

Comment

Is your car an aby? If so its a nipple on the front of the inlet manifold. Should have a 3mm pipe that runs to a metal pipe that goes behind the engine cover where the water manifold>turbo pipe is.
          Then it connects to another hose and in to the DV.

If its a 3b then it takes the air feed from the back of the Inlet manifold where the FPR connects there, should be a "T" that you connect it to.

Check all the hoses anyway, if they are leaking air then you will get a boot leak there...

Its worth checking all the pipes to make sure they havent done anymore ******** to the car.
          Good luck.
          91 S2 coupé - RIP
          98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

It's a 3b. I'm assuming FPR is the Fuel Pressure Regulator? From memory, there are 3 nipples here, 1 goes to the ECU, another to the FPR and another one goes elsewhere but I can't for the life of me remember which nipple leads to the FPR.

I'm hoping that they've only cocked up the one hose but I suspect this is just wishful thinking...

Edited to add:

Do you think there are any schematics available that shows how everything should be plumbed/connected?

Comment

Originally posted by s2_bo View Post
              It should be connected as follows,
              The small 3mm nipple on top of the DV to the inlet manifold, the 25mm connection oppersit the 3mm nipple to the turbo hose and the 25mm connection on the side of the valve to the maf hose.

The nipple on top of the wastegate should be left as it is, no pipe is needed there and no valve either, You only need one N75 valve to control the boost, that should be connected to the turbo, the maf hose and the lower wastegate chamber.
              Hi Bo, I'm confused is this 100% factory way round to fit it?

Reason I ask is that there are conflicting posts on the forum about fitting the DV.
              I've currently got mine oriented with the 3mm hose facing to the left, viewing from the front of the car. (which is the other way round to your post? )

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...06&postcount=2

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...66&postcount=9
              RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

On a 3B the nipple faces down IIRC

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

I am feeling a thread for mechanics/ garages in the UK that are either trusted or not to be engaged....?

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                    On a 3B the nipple faces down IIRC
                    Hiya Newsh!

Would that be one of the 3 nipples situated on the rear of the IM?

Comment

In the pursuit of accuracy would the correct DV installation spec please step forward?

RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

There is a schematics diagram for the vacuum on the under side of the bonnet when you open it, think it is the bottom right corner
                        1991 Audi S2 Coupe

Comment

...and to get back on topic:

It all seems to be getting worse.

From what I can see, the DV is correctly fitted apart from the vacuum hose leading to the WG. I've had a look on the back of the IM and I'm 90% sure they've cocked this up big style.

Looking at the IM from the front of the engine bay, the left and middle ports are connecting to one another by a T-piece which then connects to another hose. This can't be right can it?! Why on earth would the pair of them be joined together?!

Before anyone asks, there is no diagram under the bonnet of the car explaining the boost system. I really need to sort this out as the car is currently undrivable and I've really had enough. What should be connected to the left port, middle port and right port? Does anyone have any photos to illustrate this or can they be explained by text to this novice?

I'm so fed up with this right now...

Comment

Ok, have one on my car, this may help!

1991 Audi S2 Coupe

Comment

That may be useful....! Thank you.

Just one question though, how come the diagram shows 1 nipple/port on the extreme left of the IM and 2 on the right? Mine has all 3 sat next to one another.

Comment

Working...
                              X