Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 70mm throttle body mod

Hi every1.

i am in search of someone that can do this job for me to perfection.

I already use a 70mm throttle body modified by Aelred which works fine, but it seems that a small slack that was left from the flap i presume for free movement or something,is allowing enough air to pass through to mess with my idle speed.Therefore my idle speed is unable to be adjusted to any level below 950rpm on normal conditions and the adjustment screw is not helping as well. Ignition timing needs to take over from that point as ISV being completelly shut does not alter the situation, and id like to have more room for calibration. I have noticed that on the rs2 TB that i have there is a total and complete seal of the flap.

Therefore, i have my old RS2 throttle body which needs to be machined to the 70mm mark and a flap inserted that seals 100% so that i can then readjust everything from the VEMS settings OR the screw.

I have already pmed Aelred for a second attempt as well as emailed him, but he may not have seen the request. I was wondering though if there is anyone else out there that can do the same job for me anyway.

many thanks

Vasilis

With the amount of power you are looking at you do not need a 70mm TB. Stay with OEM and all your problems will be solved

Comment

Originally posted by Bram View Post
      With the amount of power you are looking at you do not need a 70mm TB. Stay with OEM and all your problems will be solved
      S2 3b is 65mm??
      RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
      BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
      LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

Bram, you forget that i already use a 70mm, and believe me if you havent used a bigger one, you cannot tell the difference!

im actually amazed how more responsive the car becomes with this mod after recently driving a normal RS2 with 3071R. Its like being in a different car!

its not about the ultimate power figure, but the responsiveness as well

by the way, after a few more adjustments today i think it works better, so i can stay with the one i have atm.

Comment

Vasilis¡¡

ask to Javad at 034 Motorsport,they can do the work for you
          RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
          BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
          LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

already did and i know the price. But since this seemed like a simple job, i wanted to source it localy. Perhaps Aelred will have a second go once i get in touch with him, but i may hold fire on this issue as it seems that im happy as it is now.

Comment

Is it just a matter of boring the body out? Where did you get the new butterfly from?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

aelred did the hole job. Needs boring and obviously a bigger flap. Im sure they get machined and manufactured, then delivered to Aelred.

the fine point is though the one i mentioned above, that the flap needs to be perfect round to the machined spec, otherwise even the slightest lack of perfect seal can cause problems with the idle speed

Comment

I thought there was a mustang you could get one from?

Comment

easier to mod the original one

Comment

The original throttle bodies do not tend to be round but slightly oval. the steps that are put into them are there to give improved response from idle through airspeed manipulaton.

Boring the throttle body to a perfectly round shape and making a new butterfly is easy enough, you gain mid and top end throttle response as you no longer have to overcome the turbulance of the original steps.

As for overal driveability gains this really comes down to the boost run one is using. Used to make me laugh when I saw all the original R32 turbo conversions with people fitting big 80mm throttle bodies in their mk2 golfs and corrado's because it would improve the airflow into the engine. then when you saw the car in real life one of the boost pipes leading upto the throttle body would narrow down to 57mm because there was no room for it
                      UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

excactly, no point in changing the TB if you are going to have narrower tubing all around...

all tubing after the turbo in my setup are 70mm, so it works nice, even from low speeds and off boost

Comment

be careful, huge throttlebodies can also just act like on/off switch and drive crap low down
                          1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
                          1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
                          BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

Comment

guys, you are missing the point
                            i already have this mod on the car and i like it. the question was about refining it, which at the moment it doesnt seem to be a need for.

good to hear about the comments, but in all fairness, 5mm increase, is not the end of the world and it is proven

Comment

Anyone know if Aelred is still doing these or if there are UK sources?

Comment

Working...
                              X