Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are uprated coils any better than perfect oem coils ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are uprated coils any better than perfect oem coils ?

When I put in a new fuel filter, I felt it got rid of my pinking under load, as the fuel filter was original one from back in 1995, so obviously worthwhile.

What I wanted to check was if anyone had perfect oem coils and for some reason changed to say new coils on top of the engine, or the LS1 coils mounted on the bulkhead, did they notice any discernible improvement ?

Has anyone tried this on an ABY or does it just applied to a urS6 ?

http://www.034motorsport.com/ignitio...6-p-22500.html

Any comments ?

Thanks.

Originally posted by macspring View Post
    When I put in a new fuel filter, I felt it got rid of my pinking under load, as the fuel filter was original one from back in 1995, so obviously worthwhile.

What I wanted to check was if anyone had perfect oem coils and for some reason changed to say new coils on top of the engine, or the LS1 coils mounted on the bulkhead, did they notice any discernible improvement ?

Any comments ?

Thanks.
    I changed to ls2 coils from Marc swannson when I was well into vems. They are more reliable, very cheap to replace so basically fit and forget. Plus easier for me to check timing with a strobe light when upgrading vems firmware.

They can sustain hotter sparks as well and run higher dwell. Original ones are very good but expensive to replace.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=nl3BSdI2Rfw

Whatever coils this car is using will be good enough for me !

Nice in car sequences that on a large screen, with the volume turned up, one might almost think one is sitting in the rear seat of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post

Any comments ?

Thanks.
        I have coils from Marc also, i would recommead them over the 034 stuff. But the standard beru ones are fine its due to age and they start to fail and its not cost affective to replace them
        RS 2 580HP

Comment

Yes exactly, OEM is great until you realise that the only way to effectively replace the system is all in one go, which is best part of £700-800. I lost a POS channel at about 130,000 miles, but was lucky enough for it to be cylinder 3 so just swapped them around and got it working again but realised I was only borrowed time with the others so went with the more cost effective option of the TFSi coil based replacement which cost less than half what the OEM set-up would have cost. Clearly you are not going to get 130,000 miles out of any TFSi coil, but even if you decide to replace them every 15,000 miles as a service part its not a big deal as you can score 5 for under a £100. With good plugs they should be fine up to RS2 power levels which suits most people.

Comment

I just bought Oem beru coils Gsf £300 all in fitted them in 1 1/2 hours wanted to keep Oem look

Comment

Originally posted by Thecrispynoodle View Post
              Yes exactly, OEM is great until you realise that the only way to effectively replace the system is all in one go, which is best part of £700-800. I lost a POS channel at about 130,000 miles, but was lucky enough for it to be cylinder 3 so just swapped them around and got it working again but realised I was only borrowed time with the others so went with the more cost effective option of the TFSi coil based replacement which cost less than half what the OEM set-up would have cost. Clearly you are not going to get 130,000 miles out of any TFSi coil, but even if you decide to replace them every 15,000 miles as a service part its not a big deal as you can score 5 for under a £100. With good plugs they should be fine up to RS2 power levels which suits most people.
              You can easily get over 100 000 out of those coils if you are not overdwelling them all the time.
              http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

tweak is map for him Dmitri
                sigpic
                "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
                BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
                1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
                2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

And more than stock boost

Comment

Yeah, can do...
                    Also, anyone who ever bought a tune from me and is upgrading to the 2.0 TFSI or V8 FSI coils, I will do the dwell upgrade for free - done lots now.

Comment

Does OEM ecu over dwell on TFSi coils or only some aftermarket tunes?

Comment

Originally posted by bilko0795 View Post
                        I just bought Oem beru coils Gsf £300 all in fitted them in 1 1/2 hours wanted to keep Oem look
                        £60 each is a bargain, but you have to add the cost of 2 POS on too which is another £250, plus the original wiring is often what fails rather than the electronics. TFSi conversion is fit and forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Thecrispynoodle View Post
                          Does OEM ecu over dwell on TFSi coils or only some aftermarket tunes?
                          On any tune. On stock as well.
                          The 2.0 TFSi coils need about 2-2.5ms depending on voltage for a good strong spark (tested to 700+ hp).

The stock coils and calibration is 4+ ms.
                          Does not matter if it is aftermarket or not, you change the component, you must change the tune.

If you don't change the tune, you reduce the service life of the coils because you are running them outside their specifications.
                          I have also had a few people who wanted to just keep stock software and use these coils. And I do this for a small fee, no problem.

The biggest problem is in colder climates. Like here (and in Russia and the Ukraine) below -20-25C cars simply don't start anymore with the stock calibration on the TFSi coils - because in stock calibration there is HUGE dwell time for starting with low battery power, and the TFSi coils just don't work anymore at all with that. Change the calibration and the car will start on turn of the key. I have already "fixed" about 20 non-starters like this in cold weather.

In the UK - you will never have such temperatures, so you will not have this problem, but the coils will still last less. The question how much less is an open one - on my cars, and in colder winters the 1.8T coils with the wrong calibration failed after 2 years.
                          The 2.0TFSi are more resilient, but there is no denying that running them outside their spec definitely affects their service life. How much exactly - this is hard to say without laboratory conditions.

Comment

A superb explanation as always

Dose that mean my 034 coils should Have the dwell time adjusted?
                            sigpic
                            "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
                            BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
                            1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
                            2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
                              On any tune. On stock as well.
                              The 2.0 TFSi coils need about 2-2.5ms depending on voltage for a good strong spark (tested to 700+ hp).

The stock coils and calibration is 4+ ms.
                              Does not matter if it is aftermarket or not, you change the component, you must change the tune.

If you don't change the tune, you reduce the service life of the coils because you are running them outside their specifications.
                              I have also had a few people who wanted to just keep stock software and use these coils. And I do this for a small fee, no problem.

The biggest problem is in colder climates. Like here (and in Russia and the Ukraine) below -20-25C cars simply don't start anymore with the stock calibration on the TFSi coils - because in stock calibration there is HUGE dwell time for starting with low battery power, and the TFSi coils just don't work anymore at all with that. Change the calibration and the car will start on turn of the key. I have already "fixed" about 20 non-starters like this in cold weather.

In the UK - you will never have such temperatures, so you will not have this problem, but the coils will still last less. The question how much less is an open one - on my cars, and in colder winters the 1.8T coils with the wrong calibration failed after 2 years.
                              The 2.0TFSi are more resilient, but there is no denying that running them outside their spec definitely affects their service life. How much exactly - this is hard to say without laboratory conditions.
                              Very interesting. May be coming to you in the spring (when I have some money) for a tune and maybe one of those hybrid MAFs you have been working hard on :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X