X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 cylinder axial engine

I found this very interesting.....

http://pixelbark.com/13045/how-the-d...bustion-engine

Never seen that before. Very interesting, especially the lack of valvetrain.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

nice engine
      I'm curious if this engine ever being put into production
      audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
      TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
      AEM W/M injection

Comment

It sounds good until you find out that it falls apart in the equivalent of 5k miles. That was the last time I heard about this anyway, maybe they have got it more reliable now but I doubt it.

There have been many engines like this in the past and they all have the same flaw, they wear out very quick.
        I very much doubt you will ever see this in a production car.

Comment

Its a very clever design but I agree I can't see it lasting long enough due to the complexity of the dynamics of the engine. Also I can't see it being anywhere near as efficient as a conventional engine of the same capacity as there isn't as much control over the port "opening"
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I do not understand how this works. How do they seal the combustion chambers when they are continuously rotating?
            How do they manage the temperature in between cylinders (bye bye efficiency), and run the coolant if it's rotating?
            I can't see this being durable any time. This think has to be shaking like crazy with that amount of excentric rotating mass.

To me looks like a design from a industrial designer. Great on paper, but does not work at all.

Comment

That is insane

Comment

Interesting concept if they are able to pull it off and bring it to production.
                Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                X