83mm oversized pistons on AAN pros and cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 83mm oversized pistons on AAN pros and cons

So ive been pondering with wither or not i should keep my 83mm pistons or stick with stock pistons on my coupe build. So im looking to you all for a detailed list of pros and cons on running 83mm pistons on an AAN with stock crank. Now i already have the pistons, and all the parts for the build. Just need to take it all in to the machine shop for the block to be done.

Bit of a back story, i bought a 90 coupe quattro project car and it included all the parts i need for the 83mm build minus machine work. So cost albeit is a factor for most when considering this type of build, for me its not a huge concern as i have all the $$$ parts.

my main condern is with 83mm, does it thin the walls to much?, does it limit how much power i can push on the block? Does it reduce reliability on higher boost applications?

Pros
    - more displacement (2.3l)
    - more power ?
    - more TQ ?
    - cool to say bored to 83mm

Cons (pertty much all $$$)
    - cost of pistons
    - machinest costs (can be over 1k)
    - custom headgasket availability
    - custom tuning ( every car needs it i suspose)
    - reliability (is this a factor)
    - cyl wall to thin? ( is 83mm to much ?)

Id like to hear what everyone thinks.

Kenny

Cylinder wall is definitely enough if it is 82.5 block originally.
    Do piston already have rings with them? Is there a way to source extra ring set in emergency case?
    Is there a source for custom gasket?
    CR should be re-calculated (if it bothers).

Such config is possible.

Living in a country where cylinder block number appears in car registration documents I seriously keep in mind 83mm build to stay a bit safer with law.
    For the situ when the cylinder block is a replacement part 83mm build is not that worthy.

Comment

Originally posted by _ShurikeN View Post
      Cylinder wall is definitely enough if it is 82.5 block originally.
      Do piston already have rings with them? Is there a way to source extra ring set in emergency case?
      Is there a source for custom gasket?
      CR should be re-calculated (if it bothers).

Such config is possible.

Living in a country where cylinder block number appears in car registration documents I seriously keep in mind 83mm build to stay a bit safer with law.
      For the situ when the cylinder block is a replacement part 83mm build is not that worthy.
      The pistons do have file to fit rings with them. I could get a spare set if needed. The block is an AAN block, so not 82.5 originally.

I do have a head gasket, its been machined out to 83mm.

As for the Law here, our engine block numbers dont apear on registration so thats not a concern.

Comment

I bored out an 81mm bore 3B block to 82.5mm for use building up a fresh 7A. The basic casting is the same across the board as far as I know, there are minor differences between the blocks as; 3b had turbo oil return line, 7a doesn't. The important thing is that in 7a form, the casting is there for the oil feed, just not machined. Audi wouldn't invest in a casting per piston size, I think 83mm will be no problem... It is only 0.25mm each side of the cylinder after all. ​​​​​
        Last edited by steve briance; 4 March 2020, 11:40.

Comment

Athena gaskets are available, i'm doing a very similar bore build and brought this gasket. (not used yet so don't know quality)

the website is crap: http://www.athenaparts.com/auto-raci...sket_line.html

where i got mine from: https://fcp-engineering.com/en/audi-...00mm-bore.html

Comment

Working...
          X