Hello again and a question about the V6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello again and a question about the V6

Hello everyone, long time member but been away for years as had to sell my S2 a long time ago now. Upkeep costs and Son's karting was killing me...

Anyway I'm looking at a coupe V6 and was wondering what with the price of fuel etc. if there was anything that can be done to improve MPG - remap for instance? Also is there anything in particular I should be asking about, it is a very high mileage car.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
    Rob.
    '94 ABY

LPG conversion?
    C4 A6 AEL avant quattro: daily

TYPE-85 Coupe Quattro: clicky
    2.5L GTi engineering RE2500 190hp.180lb
    Schrick 272 cam
    C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
    ITG filter

Comment

An LPG conversion does sound interesting in terms of long-term costs, emissions and a cleaner engine interior, I have not heard of such on a V6, but I've never looked for any either. There are some LPG I5's here on the forum, they might know of such.

In terms of improving fuel mileage, certainly there are maintenance (such as leaky (or about to be!) fuel-lines) and traditional hot-rodding things that will glean results. Even before that though, know that a two-valve head on a V6 is going to have a comparatively lovely bottom-end torque output (even though I imagine the 2.5 (Euro short-stroke crank) might indicate such an engine would love to rev), so just step on it lightly and then shift early to save gas! That would be the easiest mod. Another perhaps easy and less understood (but fortunate for driving enthusiasts) mod that improves fuel mileage slightly is stiffer suspension springs and dampers.

I do know the Euro intake-manifold is quite different from here in North America, and that a swap (and the ECM?) are possible, and perhaps advantageous, but even your prospect may be worth checking to see if some internal OEM sourced partial blockage may have occurred (someone posted here about this).

Below is a link to some reading lists, and from that, a quick summary (beyond simple maintenance such as MAF cleaning and confirming proper O2 sensor function) would be (the easier things that I have had the most success with include), restore intake-manifold vacuum to 18" WC at warm idle, have the injectors cleaned and balanced; and install a velocity-stack at the exit of the stock air-filter housing. But referencing the high-mileage mentioned, in parallel to the preceding, I would pursue the reliability things (particularly this 1st one without delay), such as: replace O-ring behind the water/oil heat-exchanger, do the Intake Silencer duct to T/B seal mod, do CCV mods to reduce oil consumption, replace wiring to ignition coils running under the intake manifold.

Do the Euro V6's have an EGR system or is that a North America only feature, I don't know? If yes, all entirely quite fixable.

These can be great and fun cars, can be found non-thrashed and had cheap! I get near exactly the same fuel economy as my 20V coupe with my V6 sedan, and I think this is fundamentally because they both have to push similar amounts of air out of the way; on the highway. However the overall gearing is slightly different between these two cars - advantage to the 2.8, so there's another way to improve the fuel economy - in your case B3 sedan gearing.

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...imer-resources
      Last edited by Lago Blue; 11 February 2021, 13:10.

Comment

I'd be for keeping it properly serviced and drive it with a light right foot.......until you need a turn of speed.

The other option might be to buy a 2.0 litre?

Comment

Sorry to be blunt, but save fuel by driving less, if you need economy buy a diesel car as well
          the economy of a v6 is relatively reasonable at 28+mpg
          it's not like the sub-20mpg of a seriously powered turbo car or v8
          phil
          95' 2.8E Coupe quattro pearl blue
          97' A3 1.8T Sport Auto Silver

95' Yamaha FZR600R

Comment

Working...
          X