Audi Diesels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, some more diesel tuning theory and experience here:

As Lee pointed out, a tuned diesel engine will smoke like mad because there's no more air to burn the fuel. Diesel has to be burnt in lean mixtures and the air in the combustion plays 2 roles: lower smoke and keep combustion temps down.

Thus, proper diesel tuning involves raising the injected quantity, increasing boost about proportionally AND also increasing injection advance in order to make sure the end of the injection cycle won't happen on top of a piston at Top Dead Center, which might ruin your engine in the long term.

This is why Powerboxes, tuningboxes and other bull****e gimmicks will never be a proper way of increasing an engine's output. All they can affect is the injected quantity, and they do it well, but as they don't touch boost and injection advance, the engine smokes a lot more, produces more power as well (from the heat generated by the diesel burnt in a rich mixture condition) and will eventually burn holes in the pistons in case the settings go a bit too far.

The problem is that even a remap can produce the same results, some companies such as Dooperchips and powerproms (I've changed the names on purpose) only do the same thing as a tuning box in their mapping, because increasing boost means hours of disassembling data in order to find one single value that limits boost, and because they don't have the time nor the knowledge to do so. Plus, what does it matter? When one increases boost, power goes down a bit, so it's better to have more power than anyone else (this is how some people claim 150 "safe and reliable" HP out of a 1.9 TDI 110 BHP engine), even if it smokes more and the engine will last less.

So beware who you buy your TDI chip from, I used to think some generalist companies used to know at least TDIs if not S2s, but the fact is that they don't know **** and they do produce dangerous products.

Hmmm, Doug, BTW, could you notice any excessive smoke from my remaps on either the Polo or the A4? I can't remember....

Cheers,

Mihnea, ranting at bad tuners
    '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
    info@MRCTuning.com
    Workshop Directions

Comment

I have not noticed any smoke on the Polo or A4
      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

This rise in fuel prices is a real bummer! I have curbed the heavy right foot and am gaining more mpg every tank full! A squirt of "Wurth" Diesel additive in the tank also helps with performance and MPG! The 110Bhp lump is quite an economical beast as well as having a "bit" of poke when required! When is your beast back on the road Doug? Hope the fuel situation won't be like "Mad Max" when you are done!
        We will all be driving Sinclair C5's in a few years!!
        Chris
        A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Originally posted by A6 AVANT
          Hope the fuel situation won't be like "Mad Max" when you are done!
          I can just see a band of S2's roaming the country stealing precious fuel from all the scoobys, mercs and beemers. not sure how comfortable it would be driving in that futuristic leather bondage gear though.

I have asked my boss if I can start working three day weeks if fuel gets any more expensive. He doesn't like the idea though, apparently it's my own fault for driving a thirsty car

Ben
          the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
          1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Originally posted by s2avant
            I can just see a band of S2's roaming the country stealing precious fuel from all the scoobys, mercs and beemers. not sure how comfortable it would be driving in that futuristic leather bondage gear though.

I have asked my boss if I can start working three day weeks if fuel gets any more expensive. He doesn't like the idea though, apparently it's my own fault for driving a thirsty car

Ben
            We might all be walking soon, but at least sales of chainmail bikinis will shoot through the roof if your apocalyptic vision of the £1/litre of Optimax comes to pass. Now where did I put my crossbow, and spare tank of 'Guzzoline'?

PJ
            'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Working...
            X