Homefry v BMW M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homefry v BMW M3

OK folks, first things first, I'm too old, ugly and honest to tell tales, but I feel it's one worth sharing.

Since I had my boost leak fixed a couple of months ago, and since I'm not often in the midst of heavy traffic, I rarely get a chance to "test/measure" the S2 slipper wagon against much. However, last night on the way home (about 8 miles of A Class road) I come up behind a 2003 BMW M3. So I think, ok, I'm probably about to take a pasting here but why not just for a laugh, and to guage performance see if he wants to play! Sure enough the first (and only) car we come up behind on the first (and quite long) straight stretch of road and off he goes from about 60mph, well all the way to 120mph this thing could NOT get away???????? OK the road was damp, wet even, but would his traction control be kicking in at these speeds??

What's more after slowing down through a serious of bends and still sitting behind him, we approach a long sweeping bend to a straight - down hill before arriving in my town, so I get a run on him on the apex due to the superior grip of the 4wd (or his lack of bottle) and I actually start to overtake him before having to pull back in due to lack of road.

If he was a poor driver and frightened of his car - why take it so quickly upto 120 on an A road? All my car has, is a Homefry and a freeflow air filter (280bhp??) so how could it possibly live with 343bhp? Probably after 120 he may of pulled away, but up here, these roads are the real world and I'm amazed that I got anywhere near this thing, but I promise you he did not get one inch away from me.

Could it be the superior Torque coming into play?

Anyway, I'll bet he was seriously P***ed that an old 95 Audi estate was clinging to the a**e of his 50k motor

S2
    95 S2 Avant Ming Blue - now gone and sorley missed:cry:
    2001 B5 RS4 Santorin Blue - MRC'd - now here:chit:
    88 Ur MB Quattro -Pearl White - The daddy!:cool:

Classic S2 Avant billboard ad - "My other car's a Porsche, but today I'm in a hurry"

oh what a lovely story

I bet there are a load of seriously cheesed off beemer and porsche owners out there thanks to homefries!

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

that is a class story.. one for the grandchildren.. all i need now is a homefry!
      ABY Coupe
      sigpic

Comment

I think I might have an explaination here:

Take into account when picking up, most of the job is accomplished by TORQUE. Your homefry should pull some 410-420 Nm out from only slightly over 2500 rpm, while the M3 won't go higher then 340-350 Nm. So, unless the M3 driver kicks a couple of gears down, picking up from 2500-3000 rpm will definitly be more effective with the "homefried".

Where the M3 will be superior is while rpm start going above the 5000 mark, where the IL5 has to lower boost (and torque accordingly) not to overspin the turbocharger, while the M3 will keep pulling almost the same torque (just slightly decreasing) up to 8000 rpm (that's how a high power NA engine works: mid-low torque by very high rpm).

As a matter of fact the M3 is a very quick car, indeed. But if you have ever had a chance to go for a ride, you'll find out it has a nice pull from low down in the rpm up to redline, nothing as frightening as a good chipped 360 Hp RS2 when the turbo shoots its blast, though.

TURBO POWER

Marco

Comment

im sure if u check the manufacturs stats the s2 is faster on 0 - 60 but not 0 - 100 :/ or am i wrong?
          ABY Coupe
          sigpic

Comment

The bmw m3 does 0-100km in 5,2 seconds.

I have a friend which has an old m3 with 286 horse power. When I drove the car it is pretty quick, and strong from 3000revs. I had expected that the power would come in from 4000 -4500 revs. I think it is a bit faster then my standard s2, but not much. I am sure you will be faster with a chipped s2. Another friend of my has a volvo s70 t(turbo)5, they did a race and is was even, the volvo has 240 ps. The bmw with 286ps could not pass him.
            Getting everything sorted out for my 5++ hp project

Comment

I have played with new shape m3's before in my (Chipped 280 bp 300lbft) S2 and I would say they are much of a muchness. The M3 definitely would not tounce a chipped S2. I think I am right to say the M3 has less than 300lbft torque. In racing torque is king...
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic
              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I was talking about the 343 Hp M3.
                The previous M3 3.2L and expecially the 3.0L are way behind....

Originally posted by Pisobiker
                I think I might have an explaination here:

Take into account when picking up, most of the job is accomplished by TORQUE. Your homefry should pull some 410-420 Nm out from only slightly over 2500 rpm, while the M3 won't go higher then 340-350 Nm. So, unless the M3 driver kicks a couple of gears down, picking up from 2500-3000 rpm will definitly be more effective with the "homefried".

Where the M3 will be superior is while rpm start going above the 5000 mark, where the IL5 has to lower boost (and torque accordingly) not to overspin the turbocharger, while the M3 will keep pulling almost the same torque (just slightly decreasing) up to 8000 rpm (that's how a high power NA engine works: mid-low torque by very high rpm).

As a matter of fact the M3 is a very quick car, indeed. But if you have ever had a chance to go for a ride, you'll find out it has a nice pull from low down in the rpm up to redline, nothing as frightening as a good chipped 360 Hp RS2 when the turbo shoots its blast, though.

TURBO POWER

Marco

Comment

BTDT

Comment

The previous M3 3.2L and expecially the 3.0L are way behind....
                    So was I

Cheers,

Steve.
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic
                    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
                    X