Confusion with RS2 VINs and production numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusion with RS2 VINs and production numbers

I am confused about RS2 production numbers. I remember a total production of around 3000. If you look at the listing below and ignore the production year end VINs (that end in 1000, 3000, and 1000 respectively for 1994, 1995 and 1996) and just use the numbers from the month before (e.g. 924, 1606 and 500) you get 3030. Okay, maybe that is right but I would be skeptical about the 1996 TZ000500 as being too convenient (but hey it might be correct). So that is one part of my confusion. The other part is below the first table.

This is the VIN tag from the Brazillian Polar Silver RS2 posted about earlier. The X9G = Brazillian delivery (okay sure). The RZ = 1994 Model year, made in Zuffenhausen (okay sure). But now we get to the problem: RZ 001034 That is not supposed to exist, i.e the last theoretical 1994 VIN was RZ 001000. 001034 implies something, like there were 33 cars ahead of it. This would make the number more like at least 3064.

What I am I missing here?

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

I think we just call that an anomolie - I don't think the data going back all those years will have been 100% accurate.
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Nobody else with strange, out of sequence, RS2 VIN numbers? There is obviously something wrong with even TZ000500 as the last 1996 VIN because the "real" production total was supposedly 2891, not even 3030, let alone 3064 as my "math" suggested.

BTW, based on the RS2 VIN tag documents that I have done, the only way that I can tell that the car is a LHD or RHD (other than the country code), is the mirror codes and which mirror is the convex one (LHD = right side mirror, RHD = left side mirror). As a result, there is no way to confirm or deny the "180" RHD RS2 story just from VIN numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
        Nobody else with strange, out of sequence, RS2 VIN numbers? There is obviously something wrong with even TZ000500 as the last 1996 VIN because the "real" production total was supposedly 2891, not even 3030, let alone 3064 as my "math" suggested.

BTW, based on the RS2 VIN tag documents that I have done, the only way that I can tell that the car is a LHD or RHD (other than the country code), is the mirror codes and which mirror is the convex one (LHD = right side mirror, RHD = left side mirror). As a result, there is no way to confirm or deny the "180" RHD RS2 story just from VIN numbers.

Re the 180 RHD RS2's. The UK media back in the day stated 180 for the UK market. This figure has morphed into the total RHD production. You also have the New Zealand and South African batches. My guess would be at least 220 RHD RS2's would have been built.
        1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
        1995 Audi RS2

Comment

Its a shame there isnt an Audi equivalent of this BMW VIN decoder:

http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

That could help get to the bottom of the production numbers for model years, spec's, and RHD vs LHD production numbers.
          1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
          1995 Audi RS2

Comment

The VIN decoder is only as good as the source data used to create it !

Also - only the USA/CAN cars have the model numbers encoded in the VIN plate - everywhere else relies on option codes on the VIN sticker or log book.
            Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post

I don't think that any Audi VIN can be used to determine LHD or RHD !

For all we know the 180 RHD RS2 is just some folklore or flannel made up by Audi UK to the press umpteen years ago - it cannot be taken as gospel truth - actually there is some portion of irony right there lol.
              Paul Nugent

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                The VIN decoder is only as good as the source data used to create it ! Also - only the USA/CAN cars have the model numbers encoded in the VIN plate - everywhere else relies on option codes on the VIN sticker or log book.
                I have access to enough data to determine what all the square build tag codes all mean and that there is something a bit "fishy" with the RS2 VIN numbers. Something is not adding up, especially RN001034 and the like. (The end of July 1994 number RZ001000 is probably wrong for starters).

The three letters/numbers that we get in NAmerica instead of the "ZZZ" that the ROW (Euro, etc) cars got in their VINs doesn't really tell us much, e.g. my 93 UrS4 "HP8" tells us that it is a C4 sedan, 2.2L engine and two air bags (driver and passenger, HP5 = same but only driver's air bag).

Comment

It wouldnt surprise me if there are a few 'fishy' ones about - Hans und Franz probably sneaked a few extras out for their mates... haven't you heard the old urban legend about the old guy who worked at the Ford factory in Dagenham for so many years that he managed to take home enough parts to build five complete cars ?

Sneaking out an entire body shell would be harder, but where there's a will etc

Seriously though, I just wouldn't trust such old data 100%... for how many years did I bang on about there being no such thing as an RHD S2 Sedan... then one turns up on the island of Jersey for sale (or was it Guernsey) and we all smelt a rat until the full story was told... and hopefully that lil beauty is languishing happily in mainland UK (last I heard about 2yrs ago).
                  Paul Nugent

Comment

Seriously though, I just wouldn't trust such old data 100%... for how many years did I bang on about there being no such thing as an RHD S2 Sedan... then one turns up on the island of Jersey for sale (or was it Guernsey) and we all smelt a rat until the full story was told... and hopefully that lil beauty is languishing happily in mainland UK (last I heard about 2yrs ago).
                    The red Jersey RHD S2 sedan was a "X9X = Control Of Programs For Pre-Production Series" car. I did the square tag codes on that one. Subsequently I have more elaborate build tag documents for 2 or 3 other RHD S2 sedans, at least one (two?) in New Zealand. These were "X7X = Control Of Global Product Program" cars.

So unicorns do exist.

Comment

I wouldn't put too much faith in VIN numbers.Having worked for VW both here and in Germany and South Africa I have seen complete cars pulled from production stock for numerous reasons and either used for production evaluation. Used for long term testing.For static displays in manufacturing reception areas.Press cars that came back so "banged up" they were no worth repairing. So I would imagine that a car Like the RS2 to have some missing cars would not be unheard of. Plus regarding VIN numbers not telling the whole story a good friend of mine in Germany has a A8 4.2 Avant yes Avant Evaluation vehicle ( don't ask how he got it !! ) and the VIN plate on that shows it a saloon.

Comment

It wouldnt surprise me if there are a few 'fishy' ones about - Hans und Franz probably sneaked a few extras out for their mates... haven't you heard the old urban legend about the old guy who worked at the Ford factory in Dagenham for so many years that he managed to take home enough parts to build five complete cars ?

Sneaking out an entire body shell would be harder, but where there's a will etc

the dagenham dump story lol i have heard that a good few times so would be suprised if there was a few home made fords out there

Comment

my Rs2 has RZ000587 vin number, but i found under the carpet printed sheet of paper probably from factory.
                          In this paper we can find last digits of vin RZ000170
                          Is anyone know whats going on?
                          My car is early production because of:
                          -date stamped on any part is 93
                          - it has glued "powered by PORSCHE" on intake manifold
                          Attached Files

Comment

glued porshe logo? never heard of it. got any Pictures?

Comment

IF you post a better photo of that long tag, I can do a better job of the decoding. From what I can see from your first photo this is what comes back:

EDIT: MJ94 = Modelljahr 94, 1994 Model Year, which fits with the "R" = 1994 in RZ000170, etc.
                              K8D Station Wagon Variant/Avant
                              A8T Executive Equipment
                              M0H 5-Cylinder Gasoline Engine 2.2 L/232 Kw Turbo Injection Base Engine is T1M
                              1X1 Four Wheel Drive
                              L0L Left-Hand Drive Vehicle
                              F0A No Special Purpose Vehicle, Standard Equipment
                              B0A Component Parts Set Without Country-Specific Design Requirement
                              E7V Audi Rs2
                              S0C Introductory Volume
                              S61 Control Of Special Fuel Anti-Spark Fouling For New Launch
                              8LB Additional Instruments (Voltage, Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature)
                              9AJ Manually Controlled Air Conditioning Andsecond Heater In Passenger Compartment
                              A8T Executive Equipment
                              9Q1 Multi-Function Indicator/Trip Computer
                              4UC Airbag For Driver
                              8WB Front Fog Lights
                              9AK Climatronic With Impact Pressure Control, Free Of Cfc
                              9V6 Anti-Theft Protection System With Immobilization Device
                              9F0 Without Sound Combination For Rotating Emergency Light And Radio Antenna Preparation
                              0F4 Fuel System For Turbo Gasoline Engine
                              4A3 Seat Heater For Front Seats Separately Controlled
                              8AD Radio "Gamma"
                              8RK Six Speakers (Four Passive/Two Active)
                              9AK Climatronic With Impact Pressure Control, Free Of Cfc
                              8RK Six Speakers (Four Passive/Two Active)
                              4UC Airbag For Driver
                              5MK Decorative Carbon Fibre Inserts
                              4UC Airbag For Driver

Last edited by UrS4boy; 12 August 2015, 23:52.

Comment

Working...
                              X