90 coupe q 2.3 20v vs S2..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 coupe q 2.3 20v vs S2..

hmmm.. I was planning on buying a B4 sedan 2.3q converted into a s2.. but unfortunately it got sold before I got paid for my present car...
    So, I’m now considering a coupe instead, because there isn’t a lot of sedans with the 5cyl engine and Quattro imported to Norway before 1996 (this is important to me because of some really stupid Norwegian taxes..).. I’m looking at a 90 coupe quattro with the 7a engine, and complete S2 looks (bumpers, lights, fenders and hood).. What about the rest, what differs the S2 from the 2.3 20 apart from the engine? Is the sub frame the same? Is the gearbox and diff weaker? Control arms? Brakes? Suspension?

In other words: what need to be changed to get a COMPLETE S2 out of the 90 2.3 20V Quattro? (The engine will be a 7A with new conrods, pistons, turbo, custom IM and EM, Autronic and so on… )

Hope someone can help me out here because I really need to decide whether to buy this car and convert it, or just buy a type 85Q with an 3b/aby/adu engine and an apartment…

this tread should probably be under the Technical section, but didn't find any section for brakes, suspension, gearbox etc..

Which do you want to sleep in, the car, or an apartment?!
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

depends how far you want to go,
      i did the 3B engine conversion cause i couldnt afford an S2,
      here i am bout £8000 later, still not satisfied
      i found the s2 engine alot heavyer on the front end, well heavyer than the 7A
      so S2/RS2 front dampers/springs etc recomended

if you want the s2 wheels then you have to change the hubs, same with all the brake conversions on here, they all favour the 5 stud pattern rather than the 4x108, i already had 18"s so didnt want to change to 5 stud which has made brake discs more difficult to find for an upgrade

having said all this tho, if all the body has been done then alot of cost has been taken out for you, i spent alot of time and money on face lifting mine,

at the end of the day if you like a challenge and you want to learn more bout how it runs then do a conversion yourself, the amount you learn is priceless but if your going to pay someone else to do it then its cheaper to buy one already done
      Attached Files

Comment

before^ and after
        Attached Files

Comment

oki.. everything .. or almost everyting is to be done by me oki, I need the hubs.. but is the control arms the same? I'm also planning on a KW suspension setup, so the suspension things are OK.. the important things here are the parts that differs from the S2 in the terms of getting it "road leagal".. so I can drive it to my local car inspection or my VAG shop at they'll say that "this is technically an S2, even though its not an original S2."
          If I had been a little bit better in english I would probably had explained this a lot better

WabTheKing: nice looking car.. but how come you went grom silver to black "guards" on your door?` (what are they called?)

Dan_b: If I get my car like I want it... probably in my car

Comment

its not finnished yet, the black rubber strips are being done body colour,

the rubbing strips down the sides are actually gun metal grey, the wheels are being done the same colour with a polished rim, basicly it was rushed to get it done for that day, (castle coomb 2004)

also done the A post covers black as well, basicly just me being different

cheers
            will

Comment

lenso RS5's. i love those rims!! excellent choice

(well i hope thats what they are)
              '92 S2 - Bent now

Comment

When comparing a 7A cq and 3B cq the differences are:

-5 stud vs 4 stud hubs
                -S2 has thicker front struts
                -different springs and ARBs (AFAIK)
                -battery under the seat (always in LHD s2 coupe before anyone mentiones otherwise...)
                -transmission etc is the same except a bit longer gearing on s2
                -subframes, wishbones etc are the same
                -brakes are the same except for discs (# of studs)
                -body is different as 3B has 2 parallel catalysts

If you want a toy, go for the typ85. They're lighter and without torsen.

Generally a conversion is not a good idea moneywise as the 7A car + conversion will cost you more than a S2.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by Silverboy
                  hmmm.. I was planning on buying a B4 sedan 2.3q converted into a s2.. but unfortunately it got sold before I got paid for my present car...
                  So, I’m now considering a coupe instead, because there isn’t a lot of sedans with the 5cyl engine and Quattro imported to Norway before 1996 (this is important to me because of some really stupid Norwegian taxes..).. I’m looking at a 90 coupe quattro with the 7a engine, and complete S2 looks (bumpers, lights, fenders and hood).. What about the rest, what differs the S2 from the 2.3 20 apart from the engine? Is the sub frame the same? Is the gearbox and diff weaker? Control arms? Brakes? Suspension?

In other words: what need to be changed to get a COMPLETE S2 out of the 90 2.3 20V Quattro? (The engine will be a 7A with new conrods, pistons, turbo, custom IM and EM, Autronic and so on… )

Hope someone can help me out here because I really need to decide whether to buy this car and convert it, or just buy a type 85Q with an 3b/aby/adu engine and an apartment…

this tread should probably be under the Technical section, but didn't find any section for brakes, suspension, gearbox etc..
                  And why havent you called me ? I`ll give you the full rundown if you`d like
                  Now you see me, now you don`t

80quattro.com

Comment

Originally posted by S2-racer
                    lenso RS5's. i love those rims!! excellent choice

(well i hope thats what they are)
                    that they are!!!

got em for £350 with tyres in good condition

Comment

What about this as an alternative ???, quite fancy it myself especially at under 2k !!! , you don't see too many of the V6's lying around, could be a good project car...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...vi:1:1v_search

Comment

didn't the v6's get the ellipsoid headlights?

Comment

Originally posted by philS2
                          didn't the v6's get the ellipsoid headlights?
                          Nope,,,,,only the S2 and late cabriolet got them.
                          2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                          2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                          1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

speak to ammer.. Tim converted his 90 2.3 into a s2 with custom manifold etc...

its the red car you all thought was an "audi 100" at the meet which tore up the track and slid out on one of the corners (sorry to remind u ammer )
                            ABY Coupe
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X