Rewraping new alcatara to the door panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewraping new alcatara to the door panel

hi, I am trying to DIY a new piece of Alacatara to the RS2 door panel. It seems quite tricky to put it properply on the door card. Can anyone advice the best approach to do it properly? Many thanks
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    RS2 >> Ferrari: Performance/look ratio

I did this on my B3 audi 90. different shape fabric compared to RS2. But I used a steam cleaner with a nylon brush to clean the old glue from the door card. Cut the fabric using the old one as template. For installing the tricky parts is the edges. I used an old plastic card to get the fabric pushed inside the groove. Just make sure you get a good glue. I used 3M 08080 because It worked well on the headliner wich has the same foam backing as the jacquard satin fabric. I assume RS2 alcantara has the same foam?
    1967 fiat 500 future project
    1976 audi 100 coupe S
    1989 vw corrado 16V
    1989 audi 90 quattro 20V sport
    1994 audi RS2 project
    1994 audi RS2 parts car
    1995 audi RS2 project

Comment

Originally posted by blux View Post
      I did this on my B3 audi 90. different shape fabric compared to RS2. But I used a steam cleaner with a nylon brush to clean the old glue from the door card. Cut the fabric using the old one as template. For installing the tricky parts is the edges. I used an old plastic card to get the fabric pushed inside the groove. Just make sure you get a good glue. I used 3M 08080 because It worked well on the headliner wich has the same foam backing as the jacquard satin fabric. I assume RS2 alcantara has the same foam?
      Thanks for your advice. Yes just now I did try using a small piece of alcatara and wondering how to put the edge to the groove, I did it with a screw driver but your suggestion seems a better option to me. Is it supposed to put the fabric UNDER the edge on the other side? When you put the glue did you spray all in one go? ie you have to do it RIGHT at first place and dont have second chance to realign the fabric ?

Comment

I placed the fabric on the doorcard and pushed it into the top groove. On B3 that is on top at the window trim. After that I've folded the fabric over and sprayed it with glue. There is still some time to adjust. But because glue is messy and sticky. Make sure you practice the routing that you feel confident with for placemen without glue once of twice.
        1976 audi 100 coupe S
        1989 vw corrado 16V
        1994 audi RS2 project
        1994 audi RS2 parts car
        1995 audi RS2 project

Comment

Finally done with the door card with new alcatara. It wasnt as difficult as I thought, just need the experience. Next time I shouldnt cut the holes for handle & arm rest until its been attached to the door card coz its difficult to allign it precisely. Now I should be able to do the rest of the door cards easier.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Looks spot on from here!
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Nice work there. What adhesive did you use to affix the material to the door card?

Comment

looks real good. top work. from now on you will be really pleased as soon as you look around inside your car and see properly attached door card alcantara
                1976 audi 100 coupe S
                1989 vw corrado 16V
                1994 audi RS2 project
                1994 audi RS2 parts car
                1995 audi RS2 project

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
                  Nice work there. What adhesive did you use to affix the material to the door card?

I'm using this adhesive, recommended by my mechanic, he said that the usual 3M spray adhesive is not that suitable for hot and humid weather in Hong Kong. You need to apply it on both sides, wait for it to dry up say 80% and stick them together.

Comment

Originally posted by Chante
                    It wasnt as difficult as I thought, just need the experience. Next time I shouldnt cut the holes for handle & arm rest until its been attached to the door card coz buyer's guide its difficult to allign it precisely. Now I should be able to do it
                    Interesting buyers guide link, what's this about admin?

Comment

Working...
                    X