motor swapped my CQ drag car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor swapped my CQ drag car.

The drag cars new motor setup looks pretty cool tucked in there nice and snugly. it is all stock bottom end with ARP hardware only. i had to do .020 over oem pistons though due to cylinder wall wear, it is after all a 223k mile motor my engine guy wouldnt let me go Sloppy and just change the oil pump, he made me do rod/main/cam bearings and rings. all i WANTED to do was gap the stock rings for some boost haha. the grand total for the full build? parts were (for all bearings, rings AND PISTONS) $216, and i took a weeks vacation and spent it at the shop working on my stuff or his, whatever was needed. go in at 5AM, work til 4PM daily for the week. originally i just got ARP head stud kit and crank bolt/cam bolts, but he made me get ARP rod bolts and then gave me a set of ARP main stud kit. it is built as much a stock block can be without replacing rod/crank/piston with upgraded parts. i think it would sustain >1000 whp with ease with supporting hardware: IE turbo, fueling, etc.

so its a 5.3L iron block with 241 car heads, cut down .025 to bring back some compression. i hand ported the heads myself, and built it at the machine shop all me with guidance. he did the bore/hone/diamond plateau brush finish and i learned to run the head surfacer machine on my heads. i did the valve job myself too. heads have dual valve springs with stock valves, new LS7 lifters and pushrods, and the cam was custom ground to match the "small" (for LS anyways if single) turbo.

in all honesty, hardware (turbo and injectors (67mm and 1000cc)) should limit it to maybe 600 whp? possibly more, who is to say until its time right?? the 4cyl ran high boost at >47 psi, but used 4 x 2kcc injectors same turbo high rpm. this will run lower rpm, lower boost, same fuel @ 8 x 1kcc. so i dunno.

main goal is to learn RWD launching/driving in prep for the big tire tube chassis car, and have FUN with going slower, going rounds, more reliability, less work and less safety gear. helmet, jacket, run rounds is what i want.

Wheels and tires

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What Ls engine is that? and that's a lot of audi's in the garage.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

Would make a nice road engine also.

Comment

Awesome engine

Comment

Gonna do drag week?

Nice setup

Comment

Originally posted by david1980
            What Ls engine is that? and that's a lot of audi's in the garage.
            It's a 5.3L iron block LM7 from a truck, with car heads. And the purple B4 gets a VEMS controlled ABZ V8 swapped in with possibly twin turbo for my sleeper weekend car. The Corrado has a 4.2L 40v V8 and 01E/ Quattro. The black B4 will have an ABZ or possibly detune the old race motor to ~500 awhp 1.8T 20v. It's wifey grocery getter crappy car. The white B4 is a $250 parts car, i bought it for the roof to cut out for the tube chassis car so i could fill the sunroof hole and for the immaculate black leather interior for the black car. it also has a lower mile V6 (130k) but its FWD.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            Last edited by speeding-g60; 5 April 2018, 02:33.

Comment

and thanks guys... this is just my hobby, among a couple others. the drag car is not road legal, so no drag week but it would be cool to try it. and yeah it would be a fun street car, it will spool pretty quick. my converter guy says i will be 5psi by 3400 rpm on the transbrake to launch, MINIMUM. we shall see what happens.
              Last edited by speeding-g60; 5 April 2018, 02:36.

Comment

Working...
              X