Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm back, a bit broken but kinda functioning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back, a bit broken but kinda functioning.

I'm guessing a lot of you must be wondering where I've been for the past year or so and many of the new members don't know of me at all, as some of you are aware I was planning on looking at moving to Canada but that's gone out the window due to a major change in circumstances.

Almost exactly a year ago to the day I had an horrendous accident which has been highly inconvenient and caused me a lot of pain, I'm still slowly recovering now but at least I can drive again and slowly work on my cars. I shall try and keep the explanation as brief as possible but as some of you know I have a tendency to go off on tangents and start waffling. Anyway I had a BBQ with a mate on the Sunday of last Augusts bank holiday weekend, it was a lovely afternoon/evening so we thought we'd make the most of what was likely to be one of the last decent days of the summer. I can recall cooking stuff at about 18.00, the next thing I know it's sometime in the small hours and I'm a heap at the bottom of his stairs, my face stuck to the floor with blood in terrible pain unable to move. I have zero recollection of what happened as I knocked myself out, probably for quite a while.

Those that know me will probably assume that booze was the cause, however I'd only drunk about a pint of 9% Cider so hardly a major drinking session! Intending to walk home as I only live a mile or so away as the crow fly's if I use foot paths through fields and a couple of bits of back road, on a clear evening this is something I often do.... However it had clouded over and I must have decided to crash out in one of the spare rooms and get home in the morning, gotten up in the middle of the night half asleep to go for a pee, become disorientated in the dark and walked/dived straight off the top of the stairs. The opening for which is next to a door and could easily be mistaken for a doorway when one can hardly see.

After about an hour of shouting help as loudly as I could my mate woke up, turned the lights on and was horrified to see my predicament, fortunately he works in the stunt industry and is well trained in first aid so he didn't panic and knew what to do. As my legs were still half up the bottom of the stairs in a knot the first thing he did was check to see if I'd broken anything and had feeling in both feet, suggesting it was safe to try and move me. He got some blankets then got hold of my arms and pulled me straight before putting me in the recovery position and making sure I was warm. He then called the emergency services to request an Ambulance as I couldn't move my hands at all, had a cut on my forehead, had broken the bridge of my nose which was bleeding and I couldn't sit up let alone stand or walk.

The Ambulance was going to be at least three hours so he gave another mate a call so they could move me, I was nearly 100 kg's at that time so obviously he couldn't support me by himself. At this point it was just getting light and he needed head off to work before long so after a brief call good old Charlie (cardcrash on here) got there as quickly as he could at something like 6 am. Between the two of them they managed to get me into Charlies BMW, by this point I could sit up right but standing or walking was totally out of the question, Charlie got me to my folks house and basically carried me inside and I plonked myself into a comfy chair. Thank you again mate!

To try and cut down on the length of this post I won't go into full medical details, eventually the Ambulance arrived and EMT lady Paramedic gave me an in depth inspection, checked my vital signs etc and came to the conclusion I hadn't broken anything and not suffered a serious concision despite my obvious head injury. They wanted to take me into hospital but as moving hurt like hell and I really dislike hospitals (their germ ridden and smell funny) I declined their offer on the provision that I'd go if i started to show any signs of serious head injury or feel like loosing consciousness.

The pain in my hands and wrists was almost unbearable so we came to the conclusion that I'd put my hands out to save myself as I fell and temporally dislocated most of my fingers and wrists also damaging tendons etc. I couldn't move them for a month and even then a couple of fingers wouldn't move though I could feel them alright! A week or so after it happened massive bruises came out around my elbows and shoulders suggesting my hands and arms had absorbed the brunt of the impact, I also had a lot of bruises from the treads of the stairs across the front of my body.

It was two weeks before I could walk again and I had to be feed by hand by my poor parents for sometime. The past year has been hell but over the last month I've been making better progress and feeling more positive. For a while I'm not ashamed to say I became very depressed hence the complete lack of contact, plus I was on some serious pain meds for a long time which make one really dopey.

So sorry to all those who have tried to PM me, when it came to trying to go through my messages I found I somehow had 2800 odd which I couldn't open so I had to delete them all in blocks to get my PM's working again.

Right! I must leave it there for now but suffice to say I'm going to be posting again regularly, I still have loads of S2 parts that have go as I'm moving house soon, I'm not going far, only a couple of miles from where I am now and I'll have a much better workshop which I'm looking forward to being able to use.

1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Hope your well soon, keep positive

Comment

Funny I was only talking about you the other day, wondered if you'd found a pot of gold in the klondike!

Good to see you back anyway
      sigpic
      1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
      1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
      1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

You've had a hard time of it Kit, glad to hear you're on the mend.
        Best wishes to you.
        John.

Comment

Get well soon, however I can't understand how this happened. Did you black out and fell or did you pass out first then fell? Sorry, just from a medical point of view speaking

Comment

I honestly don't know, regardless of alcohol consumption I have a tendency to go the bog half asleep in the small hours and often don't even know I've been until the next morning when someone mentions hearing me in the middle of the night so I'm assuming I was in this state when I stepped off the top. I have no idea really.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.
            Last edited by K Simmonds; 25 August 2018, 17:29.

Comment

Good to see your still in the land of the living . Don’t forget you have a lot of friends on here !!
              Chin up , don’t be a stranger mate
              all the best
              Gav
              S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Great to see you back in action, Kit, I was wondering when you'd break your 'hiatus' and rejoin the fold.. Good health to you.

Comment

Sorry to read about your fall! Glad you are back on the mend. You must be itching to get stuck in again with cars and projects. Regards. Nev.

Comment

I was only thinking of you a few days ago. Thought I haven't seen you posting form ages. Sorry to hear about your fall (accident) but great to hear your on the mend and back with us again. Kind regards Lynn.

Comment

Great to see you back on here Kit. Hope everyday that passes you keep improving

Comment

The thought had crossed my mind several times "i wonder what's happened to Kit" as you were a prolific poster and much of it interesting and some of it dam right hilarious!
                        Good to see your back and the "black dog" hasn't beaten you! Well done for posting all of that and good to hear you almost back to your old self.

All the best Kit

Mark.
                        96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                        96 URS6 plus speck estate
                        94 2.6 80 Avant
                        99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Nice one Mark, that's much appreciated along with all the other supportive comments from a lot of good friends, hopefully I'll be totally fixed within another year, my fingers still swell up and and get tight after a few hours doing mechanical work and my back isn't quite right but given how bad I was for ages the last month has been a massive improvement. In hind sight I should of gotten on here as soon as could type (about a month after the fall using my little fingers and thumbs) but I instead I stewed in an Opiate fog and made myself feel even worse.

Oh well that's in the past now and I try and do as much active stuff as I can everyday, I went from approx 98 kg's of muscle to 80 kg's of of sod all so I'm trying to build my strength back up as well as work on getting my fingers all working properly, a couple are still very stiff and I only have about 50% usage of my index fingers which seemed to have take the worst of it.

My RS2 is tucked away and I'm concentrating on my C4's while using the 2.0 B3 quattro as a runabout. Recently picked up a full late spec C4 A6 Avant leather interior for my 1992 2.8 100 quattro, I'm over 40 now so I can legitimately enjoy wood trim.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                            I'm over 40 now so I can legitimately enjoy wood trim.

Welcome to the over forties club!

96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                            96 URS6 plus speck estate
                            94 2.6 80 Avant
                            99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Have to say getting older does have some advantages, all of a sudden C4's with stock suspension seem like the perfect daily transport.

Though I have to say I pissed myself when I read Alex's comment on another thread about us C4 owners getting as defensive as the VEMS lot, their different horses for different courses IMO, both have their merits. Unless their on silly springs driving a C4 is like travelling in your front room though there are more pivot points to maintain and the metal fuel tanks can be a PITA, whereas a B3/4 Is lighter and even more basic to work on, the Avants are a good all rounder and the Coupe has aged well, though I wouldn't have another one due to water ingress caused by a ridiculously complected windscreen design.

Comment

Working...
                              X