Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scotland holiday in December on the west coast, need suggestions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland holiday in December on the west coast, need suggestions!

Hello!

I am looking for a little local advice on places/things to visit while in the UK in December. I will be likely flying into Glasgow and have a week to spend before flying out of Manchester. While in Scotland in March picking up my S2 I was able to make it up to the Isle of Skye, stayed in Edinburgh for a few days, and a brief stay in Glasgow. I am coming back to try to find a couple E30 Tourings and possibly an 80 avant, but will have some time between car shopping to see some sites. I managed to get to a few Distilleries during my last stay (Talisker, Tomatin, Glen Moray), and wouldn't mind catching a couple more on this trip! I will be traveling with my girlfriend and sister, so doing anything car-related may be out of the possibilities. Small towns to visit, fun roads to see, scotch-distilleries, unique hotels to stay, etc..

I am also looking for cars to bring home with me, if anyone has an S2 in need of minor work, an 80 avant, something we didn't get back home.

Attached photo from my visit in March with my new-to-me S2 along Loch Ness!

Thanks in advance!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Unique hotel...…..Inveroran Hotel (along from Bridge of Orchy)?? I've walked passed it many a time, but it'd be great place to wake up in!! The Craigellachie Hotel(Speyside) is one for Whisky tasting, I stayed for a few nights a couple of years ago and would love to go back.

Good roads.....take your pick!! A93, north from Blairgowrie up to Braemar then B976 onto A939 to Tomintoul would tick all the boxes, very fast bits, slow bits and stunning scenery. The B862 down the west side of Loch Ness is superb too, but maybe you've been on it before if you were at Tomatin?
    The Bealach na Ba road to Applecross is definitely a must do as well, slow but superb.
    The above roads though may not be possible in December ?
    Last edited by John.; 31 August 2019, 07:53.

Comment

I love the West Coast it’s hard to beat, love Glencoe amazing area love Inveraray am actually staying at the Loch Fyne Hotel next week and il be visiting Oban and Fort William

Comment

When heading south, if you're coming from Edinburgh but destined for Manchester then the A708 from Selkirk to Moffat is superb.....and the café at St Mary's Loch is worth a stop.

Comment

Originally posted by pwbmotorsport View Post
          Hello!

I am looking for a little local advice on places/things to visit while in the UK in December. I will be likely flying into Glasgow and have a week to spend before flying out of Manchester. While in Scotland in March picking up my S2 I was able to make it up to the Isle of Skye, stayed in Edinburgh for a few days, and a brief stay in Glasgow. I am coming back to try to find a couple E30 Tourings and possibly an 80 avant, but will have some time between car shopping to see some sites. I managed to get to a few Distilleries during my last stay (Talisker, Tomatin, Glen Moray), and wouldn't mind catching a couple more on this trip! I will be traveling with my girlfriend and sister, so doing anything car-related may be out of the possibilities. Small towns to visit, fun roads to see, scotch-distilleries, unique hotels to stay, etc..

I am also looking for cars to bring home with me, if anyone has an S2 in need of minor work, an 80 avant, something we didn't get back home.

Attached photo from my visit in March with my new-to-me S2 along Loch Ness!

Thanks in advance!
          I'm selling my RS2, The add is in the cars for sale title on this forum.

Enjoy Scotland, try to get up to Ullapool and beyond for a real taste of wild Scotland.
          The single track roads are slower, but interesting, with good passing places if you should meet any oncoming traffic.

rs2315.
          sigpic

Comment

Head for Argyll...it's much closer to Glasgow and has plenty variety for a week- drive over to Oban ( choice of routes)then head down to Campbelltown at end of Kintyre peninsula, places like Tarbert to stop off en route. Distilleries in Oban &Campbelltown....and if time ...take ferry over from(near)Tarbert to Islay- home of the finest peaty whiskies- a few distilleries to visit there- possible on a day trip. Argyll has awesome scenery- the sea lochs and lotsa islands are particularly impressive. Great driving roads too

Comment

Great suggestions, thank you! My note pad is filling up quick!

Comment

Originally posted by pwbmotorsport View Post
                …. an 80 avant, something we didn't get back home.
                This is VERY cheap …………. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-80E-...gAAOSwlk1dZjCT

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post
                  I saw that one, really wish it was a Quattro!

Comment

Loch Lomond is a beautiful area, right in between highlands and lowlands

distilleries: I can recommend Glengoyne

Comment

Well, turns out the car I was intending to buy in Scotland was quite a lot rougher around the edges than I was originally led to believe. I will be landing and spending most of my time in Wales now in December, Flying in to Bristol, and wrapping around the west coast. Any suggestions from anyone in that region?

Comment

From my place head North up to Aberystwyth on the coast road then follow the coast up into North Wales and Snowdonia. Very beautiful, like Scotland but smaller scale. Lots of things to do and places to visit on the journey.
                        (zip wire, slate mines, steam railwsys, wildlife centre, etc)
                        Last edited by Tractor Dave; 18 September 2019, 09:45.
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I love Scotland, really nice people and food. I will go to my real estate in Liguria https://tranio.com/italy/liguria/ this December for Xmas with family and friends.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^

Think we have a bot here admin.
                            96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                            96 URS6 plus speck estate
                            94 2.6 80 Avant
                            99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Working...
                            X