Garage flooring any recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage flooring any recommendations

Looking for some recommendations for a garage floor at home.
    Recently had new concrete laid down and just waiting for walls to be plastered.

I have seen quite a few posts on various forums that Epoxy resin floor paint is what's in now.
    Has anyone on here tried this and could recommend a product that I could lay down myself unless someone local to Midlands that would come out and do it for me?

Garage is around 20ftx17ft

Want to get flooring done before my S2 arrives lol.

Also what would something like this cost either do it yourself or a professional to come out and do it?

Comment

I've no experience of epoxy floor paint but rate it to paint suspension parts - it is tough stuff.

What I would say though is : don't put any flooring down until the concrete is FULLY dry. That make take some months to achieve if it is thick. It make look dry on the surface and feel dry but, if you lock in the moisture you can't touch; it can affect how it cures.

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
        I've no experience of epoxy floor paint but rate it to paint suspension parts - it is tough stuff.

What I would say though is : don't put any flooring down until the concrete is FULLY dry. That make take some months to achieve if it is thick. It make look dry on the surface and feel dry but, if you lock in the moisture you can't touch; it can affect how it cures.
        It's only been a month since concrete went so guess I will have to wait a little. In the mean time I can start getting some prices and maybe look at doing it myself in a couple of months I guess

Comment

Being summer will help speed it up which is a bonus. Im sure a friendly flooring contractor could test it for you if you know any. It's quite a big deal when laying luxury vinyl floor tiles - too damp and the glue fails because as the moisture evaporates it can't get out.

I can't see putting paint on the floor being too tricky with a tray and paint roller. The key will be what prep is needed first. Is there a stabiliser to seal the surface first? I've got no idea but you are right - epoxy floor paint is cropping up more and more now and in commercial settings as well which gives credibility.

Comment

I first used a concrete sealer to reduce the dust then later went with Ecotile.
            Here is the good/bad.

Goes down dry and easy to install just cut with wood saw.
            Quite expensive per meter.
            Takes trolley jack and axle stands no problem.
            Tyres stain the lighter colours.
            Does not like welding splatter.
            Expands in sunlight I have south facing bifold doors at the rear so get a fair bit of sun.
            Mototile have a good planning tool for a similar style.
            I love the flooring and easy to clean but if you do a lot of dirty jobs and fabrication epoxy sounds like a better option.

IMG_6687.JPG Floor 29 May .jpg
            Last edited by sjw185; 4 July 2020, 01:16.

Comment

After doing a few garage floors over the years I can give this advice. It depends if your concrete floor has been power floated (which is best for final finish).
              I have used 2 pack epoxy but never again. My advice would be to use a high end single coat floor paint from either Hempel or International, using their own recommended primers. Not the shitola floor paint from B+Q or Woodies.
              Be prepared to re paint every few years depending on traffic. Although these paints are oil proof, acid proof, beer proof, everything proof, they are NOT water proof.
              I have parked wet cars indoors on rainy days on the best of flooring ( including e poxy) and water will always ruin the paint, down to tyre tread marks left in the paint. Water is the enemy. Especially the first few feet in from the front door.
              Buy a good mop or squeegee and dry the floor if wet.

Comment

If you turn on the underfloor heating and slowly raise the temperature it will dry out the concrete faster.
                1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

I like 2k resins which work really well, but not cheap - way superior to paint in my experience, because the coating is around 10x thicker. Downside is cost. In my experience you get what you pay for, but even the best coating is only as good as the substrate. I used Resincoat in my unit and can recommend it, cures hard and sticks like **** to a blanket. It only chips if the underlying floor does too - that is the weakness in my case.
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                    I like 2k resins which work really well, but not cheap - way superior to paint in my experience, because the coating is around 10x thicker. Downside is cost. In my experience you get what you pay for, but even the best coating is only as good as the substrate. I used Resincoat in my unit and can recommend it, cures hard and sticks like **** to a blanket. It only chips if the underlying floor does too - that is the weakness in my case.
                    Any idea where the best place would be to buy this from and roughly what it would cost for a 20x20 garage floor? garage would mainly be used for my car and occasionally having it up on stands so I can work underneath.

I think I need to let it cure at least another month before I can start laying anything down so gives me enough time to find a suitable product.

Comment

Resincoat
                      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I used a company in birmingham called berkely plastics. Similar to ecotile but 3mm thick rather than 7mm. I tink it worked out about £15 sq/m. Easy to fit yourself, just needed a rubber mallet. As said earlier though, you get movement in summer.
                        I've dragged engines, tolley jacks axle stands and the dog across it, really strong and durable stuff. He advertises on abay aswell

Comment

I can recommend floor from epoxy, it is quite feasible and a smart choice for existing flooring. Epoxy is a tough and long-lasting coating that can be used on any flooring. It can be used on concrete floors; stone floors any floor to increase its performance and durability of your garage floor. Epoxy flooring is available in many attractive colors and can be cleaned easily. Before trying to go for epoxy make sure your subfloors are resistant to moisture and no dampness is observed. Epoxy is not suitable for the floors that absorb moisture.

Comment

Working...
                          X