Vw mk4 tdi 150, boost pipe blowing off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vw mk4 tdi 150, boost pipe blowing off

Hey guys, slightly off topic here.. i fitted a tdi tuning box last year. I switched the setting to max on it, meaning it would make the car have 189bhp as opposed to 150bhp..

Ran it For a few months now. Yesterday on a long journey, and in the crazy heat i boosted it and the pipe on the left side of engine, if you pop bonnet and look at engine from the front. The pipe blows of.. as if too much boost is going through it... a metal large clip holds the boost pipes together...

What do you think it could be?

Ive moved it to the smallest setting.... will test later..

I'd guess that the barb on the metal part which is part of the hose isn't being gripped by the metal clip, maybe time for a new hose?

When assembled give the hose a tug to test?

..... DagDag - Diesel Discussion - S2Forum - The Audi S2 Community

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post
      I'd guess that the barb on the metal part which is part of the hose isn't being gripped by the metal clip, maybe time for a new hose?

When assembled give the hose a tug to test?

..... DagDag - Diesel Discussion - S2Forum - The Audi S2 Community
      Yes you are correct! On searching, its a known issue. The pipe metal clip, rubs away.. since having more power its exploited this weak point. Just sourcing a better one, think they updated the seals and clips in time.

Comment

I did read somewhere that some hair spray on the joint helps.
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

It's also an issue for the 1.8t models.

Not sure off the top of my head exactly how the TDI boost pipes run but what about an aftermarket set of pipes?

Otherwise, remove the "fitting part" swage the end of the hard pipe and then use a silicone joint to the intercooler?

Jase.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaswan View Post
            It's also an issue for the 1.8t models.

Not sure off the top of my head exactly how the TDI boost pipes run but what about an aftermarket set of pipes?

Otherwise, remove the "fitting part" swage the end of the hard pipe and then use a silicone joint to the intercooler?

Jase.
            Great ideas bro, thank you

Comment

Chris if it's a metal pipe i can swage the end if you want, you'd need to pop over to the workshop or post it to me..

Comment

Working...
              X