Audi A6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi A6?

Ok Audi people - I have noticed a few on here drive Audi A6 as their daily driver. I might well be looking to change my car in the new year. The Vauxhall Omega 3.0l Elite has served me well as a workhorse with just a coilpack and an oil cooler needing repalcement in the 3+years I have used it. Have to say it's been a pleasure to drive and ever so comfortable.
    The only other car I can think of with a similar sized boot (can't really use estate) is tthe Audi A6.
    i would like to find out a little more about these cars and the various engines.
    ideally I would like an Auto and maybe diesel. MPG and other expenditure for the 2.5 TDi?
    Or would I be better off with 2.4 or 2.8 petrol?
    Cheers
    Chris
    Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
    20v turbo conversion

sigpic

with you talking about a 2.4 im thinking you are only looking for a 1997> A6?if you are including the >1997 i can well recommend the 2.5 tdi 140 bhp 5 pot, goes well and does 40+mpg if you take it steady.And it will tow well over 2 tons without even breaking a sweat.

Comment

A6 TDi new vs. old

I have had a 2.5 TDi A6 Avant SE 5 pot and it has to be the best diesel I've ever had. Huge mid range torque, 40 + mpg. I had it for 7 yrs, 185k miles and it was rock solid. Hauled my family of 5 around plus luggage all over Europe every summer. I miss it badly.

We now have a 1998 A6 1.9TDi. It has all the gadgets, much lighter, nice looking and averages 49 Mpg with school runs and holiday thrashes, but build quality is cr*p compared to the earlier generation and it is incapable of going between services without some thing going wrong. I bought it as a 1 owner at 70k and in 20k it has had, wishbone bushes all round, steering joints, turbo sensors, catalytic converter, various bits of plastic that seem to fall apart from UV degradation, brakes, disks, new wiper motor, and so it goes on. It is a rebadged Passat and not worthy of the 90's A6 badge.

In its defence, the engine has been fine, but compared to the old 5 cylinder, it is so 'boring....' even though the package is almost as quick. Handling is vague and squiffy, gearbox is notchy, brakes fade badly under heavy use. Steering is the most vague I have ever known on an Audi (I've had 6 over the years). I'm seriously looking to go back to an early 2.5 TDi Avant (115 or 140 - both are superb). I have no personal experence of the V6 TDi's, but a friend of mine replaced is 140bhp 5 pot A6 Avant for a 2.5 TDi AllRoad and said it lacked the torque of the 5 pot and was far too revvy. No doubt some will agree and other will think I am talking out of my rear...
      85' 80 Sport, 90' Coupe 2.3E, 90' 2.3 20V Coupe Quattro, 93' 80 Avant 2.6 SE, 95' A6 Avant 2.5 TDi Se, 98' A6 1.9 TDi SE, 95 S2 Avant

Comment

Don't know what money you are looking at spending. i had an A6 3.0TDI quattro S-line and i have to say it was probably the best all round car i have ever had and I'm comparing it to RS4, BMW 740i sport and current BMW 550i sport (which is crap!!).

I really do miss it..... have just ordered an A8 hope I'm as happy as when i had the A6... time will tell...

Comment

the old

5banger is good, and i have chips for it witch brings it to 152hp and 345nm:mischeif:
          The newer a6 with 2.5 d has some probs with the cams i can tell you that...
          we have changed several of them, and it was at its time an "update" from audi to change them.
          japanischer industriabfall nein danke!!
          www.rackeltrim.se Icelandic Division

Comment

having had a 2.4 '98 avant it was a great car...some people called it a "Grandad's" car but it had loads of equipment and it was great for mountain bikes!!...3 riders, bikes and all the kit INSIDE the car!!!.....and it was fairly cheap to run...and my grandad never had on!!...

if you do decide to get one, make sure the water pump has been done!!...as mine went at the worst time ever!!!....thank you green flag is all I can say....

Comment

Thanks guys, certainly food for thought.
              I actually prefer the older shaped 100/A6 but unfortunately the boot is a bit small on that and for security reasons I can't really have an estate. Saving some pennies so have a bit of time to think about this.
              Cheers
              Chris
              Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
              20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X