Playstation 3 + GTA4/GT5 Prologue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playstation 3 + GTA4/GT5 Prologue

I'd really like to get myself a Playstation 3 sometime soon, as I especially like the Grand Theft Auto and Gran Turismo series.

I also like the idea of the online gaming too but how does it work and what do I need to pay/subscribe to, and how difficult is it to set up?

What you lot reckon?

Cheers,

Mark
    '93 Brilliant Blue Audi S2 Avant - Broken again.
    '98 Tahiti Blue Rover 216SE Coupe
    '96 Arktiksilber Metallic BMW 525td (E34)
    '01 Dark Green Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.1LTD
    '97 Polar White Vauxhall Vectra 2.0Di LS
    '96 Alpine White Peugeot 306 XLDt

You don't pay anything to join the Playstation network.
    I race online and haven't paid anything extra, you have to be careful that your broadband doesn't have a download limit as you will very quickly reach it.
    Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
    England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

I dont think it does, how can I tell/find out without ringing them bloody call centres? Presumably it needs to be hooked up to the phone line then? (I really am a simpleton when it comes to stuff like this).

Mark

Comment

If you have ADSL then you will have a limit most likely.

ADSL really has gone down the pan recently, i'm on 20 meg virgin broadband

Comment

You just network it, like it is another computer. You will need a router, or just unplug your computer and plug in your PS3 instead.
          It can go wireless - but that is more complicated.

Comment

Not sure if I'm on ADSL. All I know is that its Tiscali broadband and its 2.3meg. Hardly awesome. I'm not on wireless though, I have thought about it but I cant be doing with the hassle, not to mention hugely thick walls in the house for a signal to try and get through.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Heat Seeking Missile View Post
              Not sure if I'm on ADSL. All I know is that its Tiscali broadband and its 2.3meg. Hardly awesome. I'm not on wireless though, I have thought about it but I cant be doing with the hassle, not to mention hugely thick walls in the house for a signal to try and get through.

Mark
              Probably ADSL, you should be able to log into a user's page of some sort and get your account details from the tiscali home page. Some ISPs allow you to use the internet as much as you like between midnight and 9 am. You will have to check.
              BTW While you are discussing it on here you are missing the FUN.

Comment

Tiscali broadband will be DSL alright... Bry is right about the usage thing - you need to check the small print if doing lots of gaming or downloads.

Wireless can be a bit rubbish in some houses... I've had issues up and down stairs with a good recent wireless router but its a bit borderline sometimes. The best thing I found is the recent range of Ethernet over Mains adapters you can buy now - this is no APril fool joke...

They were available at low speeds in USA for some years, but are now CE approved at much higher speeds. About 90 quid gets you two adapters - I use Netgear HDX-101 (ish) and its fantastic. Properly simple plug and play... Plug one in beside your Tiscali router box and t'other one in where your PC or console is. Wait a few moments for the link to establish and its all good.

I've had these for a year and theyve been on pretty much 24/7 with no burps at all. I'm gonna buy some more to cover the garage and other rooms where I need reliable hard-wired access.

Never tried gaming on them, but done lots of video and voice / skype calls with no quality issues at all - I'm on basic broadband pkg from BT here - nout special.

I'm geekier than most and happily work thru wireless gizmos and various data switch/router and optical products on a regular basis, but being able to avoid all that crap and just plug a widget into your mains socket to turn it a network adapter is fantastic. They claim 200Mbps speeds on this stuff - dunno if thats true and if it is it will be some optimised scenario. You will be speed/quality limited by your broadband provider - not the wireline adapter plugged into your wall.

Paul
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I'm getting a consistent 10 to 11meg through my standard BT line, with over 1meg upload... no usage limits either (apart from the usual fair use provisos). I'd tell you who it's with, but I don't want the service to drop off because everyone starts using it!

Oh, go on, just for you guys! - Be Unlimited..
                  speedy.jpg
                  Last edited by hiltoa; 21 May 2008, 08:17.
                  Nothing feels fast for long...
                  sigpic

2000 Audi RS4 - Kingfisher Blue ~+~ 2004 Audi Allroad 2.5 Tdi - Ebony Black Pearl

Comment

I have been on BT 8mb with no problems for years, I use the PS3 online with it via wireless.
                    5 mins to set up and have never had a problem

Comment

Well, I went and splashed out on one on Wednesday, got both GTA4 and GT5 Prologue. I'm really impressed with the new GTA, its very special. I've bought a second controller off eBay too, so both myself and the missus can go around causing carnage, once it arrives.

Paul, them adapter's you mentioned sound just the ticket. I asked my Dad about it and he remembered some baby monitors from years ago that worked in the same way. This sounds about the best option, as its the least amount of ball-bagging around, all I have to worry about then is my download limit.

Thanks for the replies.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                        The best thing I found is the recent range of Ethernet over Mains adapters
                        Thats just wrong on so many levels, but hey if it works
                        91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                        93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                        94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Im thinking about selling mine, I just havent used it

Comment

Originally posted by Heat Seeking Missile View Post
                            ...its Tiscali broadband and its 2.3meg. Hardly awesome.
                            It's 2395 times faster than when I first went online!!
                            1994 Audi S2 Avant - in pieces
                            2006 Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0TFSi - goes fast
                            1985 Audi 90 quattro - is wet

Don't forget the East Midlands Meet -Last Tuesday of every month at 7:30pm just off M1 J28!![/COLOR]

Comment

These little beauties any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-X-SOLWISE-85...QQcmdZViewItem

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X