Three completely different iPOD fixes in one night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three completely different iPOD fixes in one night

Sorry folks, but I had to share this with someone and its too weird... Cutting some long stories short here but they look like all resolving on the same night... Three completely different issues. I can't be this lucky.

My 1st iPod was a 3rd Generation thing with 20GB drive - with Firewire support but no clickwheel. Had it for ~4yrs of perfect service then at the weekend the disk dies. Spent some time trying to restore and such but it looks dead. Finally found a site that tells me how to pop it open with a guitar pick and I'm in to find the disk drive and theres plenty on eBay for 20-30 quid. Brilliant.... That keeps me sane in the garage with some loudness plugged into a Bose dock thingamy.

I've been having grief with the wifes 3rd Gen Nano ever since I bought the damn thing for xmas last year. It cost 99 quid - fair does but I needed to eat an OSX upgrade to support it - that was another 100 on eBay cos my older iMac wouldnt run the latest greatest OSX... Turns out my iMacs disk was ill and the Apple utility wouldnt repair it before the system upgrade... Another 100 quid for a fantastic 3rd party utility (Disk Warrior) and I was in business with no data loss. Thats how a 100quid gift turns into 300quid and four weeks of pain. It worked with my old machine on a Firewire based dock (no USB2 on this old machine) and an older version of iTunes... Then of course Apple comes along with an iTunes update and I can longer sync to the Nano - ****. Spent three months twatting about with various things and support threads going nowhere and two more iTunes updates along the way. It was only tonight that I realised there was one thing I hadnt tried - plugging the Nano directly into a USB port (stupid I know, but I've had a perfectly functional Firewire doc for so long you just forget) - granted its an old USB1.1 port but it bleeding worked after all that faffage... Surely someone at Apple could have told me they just stopped sync from working on the Nano via Firewire at some combination of h/w and s/w. Gawd... but I got there and some new found Motley Crue was loaded up for a hop on the Nano. Sounds of Harley Davidsons and 'Girls Girls Girls' filling the headphones brings a BIG smile.

Then the clincher -

I also got a 1st gen iPOD shuffle when they came out - donkeys ago - super neat for commuting or daytrips thru airports when you dont want an expensive / heavier ipod to worry about... Plus it doubled as a nice USB drive for fileswaps etc etc. After about 14 months that thing just died on its ***... No amount of reset or restore tricks, would bring it back but in tonights search for help on how to fix my faulty disk on the 20G iPod I found an Apple utility to reset a 1st Gen shuffle dating to 2006. Too good to be true I think - This thing has been collecting dust in a drawer for nearly 2 years... I download the tool, plug in the shuffle and its gets reset after maybe a minute - I am now putting music on it again. Phoook !

Knock me down with a feather - its an iPod tripleplay.

Sorry for long rambling post - should give others hope when frustated by IT niggles.
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't
Working...
X