No announcement yet.

Warning - New Paypal scam email about!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning - New Paypal scam email about!

I had this sent to me yesterday, reported it to paypal and it is indeed a phishing attempt/scam email so beware people!

Dear PayPal Customer,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system.

We recently noticed the following issue on your account:

Your bank has contacted us regarding some attempts of charges from your credit card via the Paypal system. We have reasons to believe that you changed your registration information or that someone else has unauthorized access to your Paypal account Due to recent activity, including possible unauthorized payments placed on your account, we will require a second confirmation of your identity with us in order to allow us to investigate this matter further. Your account is not suspended, but if in 48 hours after you receive this message your account is not confirmed we reserve the right to suspend your Paypal registration. If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is in violation of Paypal policy to represent oneself as another Paypal user. Such action may also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law.

Paypal is committed to assist law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

To confirm your identity with us click here:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=login_actp

Case ID Number: PP-791-951-730

After responding to the message, we ask that you allow at least 72 hours for the case to be investigated. Emailing us before that time will result in delays. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause you and we would like to thank you for your cooperation as we review this matter.

Sincerely,
    PayPal Account Review Department

PayPal Email ID PP572

This message and any files or documents attached may contain classified information. It is intended only for the individual or entity named and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient or authorized to receive it, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately then delete it from your system. Please also note that transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.
    '95 ABY Avant - Sold
    '98 B5 S4 -MRC400+ = 464ps 741nm

Cheers.

The worst thing is when you get something like that when you are actually doing bank transfers from paypal... an aweful coincidence!

I had that happen a few weeks back and got as far as logging in though a phishing page - and i work in IT!!!!

Be vigiliant!
    S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Yep, there are some really genuine ones doing the rounds. A Halifax one is very realistic as it a BT one....

I am waiting for my mother in law to get caught out by one!
      The Perfectionist
      sigpic
      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Anytime I get an e-mail asking me to 'login' and check via an enclosed link...just highlighting the link can show up where it's really directing too...or I log into the actual site (Paypal for example) and check my messages there. They would always mail you direct in any case...so nothing there and you know it's a scam.

Comment

just spead the word at work....

good heads up...

Comment

is that a fake email? im new to paypal and i would like to understand what is that about...
            Audi Quattro WR

Comment

I go for the same tactic - login directly or just ignore it and call them if it looks possibly genuine. Have to be over cautious with these things now... if they call you for instance (which mine do on occasion) be very uncooperative! Worst case, they'll be a bit flustered and probably ask you to call the number on the back of the card. If it's a scam you'll be grateful, if not then no harm done.
              AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Ducky View Post
                or I log into the actual site (Paypal for example) and check my messages there.
                which is exactly what paypal asks you to do in case they ever send you a mail with any request, there is no link provided iirc, just the request to go to papal and log in as normal.

Comment

These phishing emails are getting better - no doubt - especially the ones with linked text that is made to look like a good URL - only to find that what it clicks thru to is the phishing page. NEVER EVER NEVER follow these things from banks or PayPal etc etc.

I saw another great scam that was highlighted on TV, where a victim of credit card theft gets tricked into calling a bank's 'help desk' where the fakers went to the lengths of having office background noise and a spoof means of securely providing the cardholders PIN as if the call centre employed transferred to a computerised system - when in fact all they did was record the phones DTMF tones when the pin was entered - easily decoded on PC software... And they then give the victim confidence that the bank has cancelled the card and not to worry... meantime the crim now has your card AND your PIN... Which begs the question - WTF was wrong with the signature system ?
                  Paul Nugent
                  Webmaster http://S2central.net
                  Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                  2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                  2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Working...
                  X