Storing shells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing shells

Has anyone ever used racking or any other setup to store shells? I have a couple of shells I want to store but don't want them to take up a lot of space as i'm not going to be using them till after my urq is finished.

I've been looking at the usual orange/blue racking most warehouses use and most seems rated to 2ton per level, that would be more than enough for bare shells.

Another option would be to construct something to stack the 2 or 3 shells on (not 3 high, 2 max and 1 would be on the floor so only 1 would be needed to sit on the racking)

Only other thing instead of the racking is a couple of 4 post ramps at least they double up as useful bits of equipment :thumbs;
    Audi Nut!!!

Comment

True, I know next door has a 4 post lift but I don't know what they are doing with it, i've never seen them use it.

I've had a look at racking on ebay but the listings arn't the best.

Comment

Racking would easily hold a shell, you would need the car secured to pallets first though IMO.

I've seen a caged shell hung off 2 rsj's before up above a workshop ! It's ended up being quite a well known esc cos.

Comment

got any pics of that mate and do you know anywhere I can get some racking 3x uprights and 6 or 8 orange bars

Comment

My local breakers has the cars stacked 2 per shelf, 4 shelves high as soon as the engine is out they go on the shelf. I'll get you a pic if I think of it.

If you buy secondhand racking which you can get cheap, always check the bottom for damage by forklifts. Loads of it available secondhand.
            Shane

Comment

Loads on eBay, place in Birmingham does dexion in whatever section amount you want. I m thinking about starting up again properly so looking into equipment .
              Anyone got a good idea for moving shells without a fork lift- thinking some sort if wheel jig

Comment

If you want a good solution on the cheap think about using scafolding, a local hillman imp hoarder near me has aprox 50 imps in his shed more than half of which is 10 feet above head!!!(i had never seen an imp van in the flesh before then i seen 13 at once also an imp estate coupe only of which 3 were ever made) He has a massive floor space up there its like a scrap yard, it would suprise you how strong scafi boards are, probably only three or four would be strong enough for a shell, if you made a decent floor space the weight wouldnt be an issue. I dare say that you could get bits of scafolding for nothing?

Comment

^^fantastic idea, over here scaffolding components are €3 each to buy second hand.
                  Shane

Comment

Yeah it sure opened my eyes to new ideas, he also plyed the scafy boards to make one smooth floor to make the moving of whole cars easy with a pallet truck. Also he had a small section on those wheels for moving parts around.

Comment

get it sorted and youl have looooooadsaa space for more building
                      NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

Working...
                      X