RS2 in San Diego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 in San Diego

I am visiting in San Diego in California and I saw a blue Audi a couple of days ago in the car park at the Tourmaline surfers beach with an RS2 /Porsche badge on the rear. This looked kosher but the car looked like a later model - maybe B5. Didn't have a chance to check it out as it drove off but wonder if there is a Forum member who knows about this/ owns it. I don't know if any B4/RS2 original cars in USA
    Cheers
    Don
    ---------------------
    Everything in perfect working order

I know of two or three RS2s in the US. How they got there and how they managed to stay there without being impounded and crushed is unknown and amazing. One was silver and had something to do with a "student". One was Nogaro blue and it was owned by a tuning company for product development (or something). I think there might have been a pearl one too (but I am not sure about that). There will be more once the official 25 year clock starts going off - Starting in March 2019 for the early build 1994 RS2s.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
      I know of two or three RS2s in the US. How they got there and how they managed to stay there without being impounded and crushed is unknown and amazing. One was silver and had something to do with a "student". One was Nogaro blue and it was owned by a tuning company for product development (or something). I think there might have been a pearl one too (but I am not sure about that). There will be more once the official 25 year clock starts going off - Starting in March 2019 for the early build 1994 RS2s.
      The Pearl one had a connection with an Audi executive I believe.
      "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

The pearl one, which I first saw while buying my first S4 at Sewickley Car Store in Pennsylvania, was imported as a "test vehicle" by a local electrical engineer. The guys at Sewickley Car Store serviced it for the owner. It was to be shipped back at the end of the test period, but it never left.

Comment

There is one in NJ under visitor visa
          www.quattro.ca
          B2: 82 Urq into Sport quattro, 82 4000 2-door, 83 80q 2 Door, 83 Ur-q CDN, 85 Ur-q Euro with 3B, 86 4kq, 59,000km
          B3/B4: 91 CQ, 93 90q 2.5TDI, 94 80q avant 2.5tdi, 94 S2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by saltinot View Post
            The pearl one, which I first saw while buying my first S4 at Sewickley Car Store in Pennsylvania, was imported as a "test vehicle" by a local electrical engineer. The guys at Sewickley Car Store serviced it for the owner. It was to be shipped back at the end of the test period, but it never left.
            this car?
            "Thats the CEO of alcoa's car. that one is 100% federalized and legal for US roads because it was imported by audi for him specifically. he got the car from audi because alcoa played a major role in providing and testing the materials used to make the space frame chassis in the A8's back in the day. that car has been around here since like 1999 or 2000. also i did some digging on info about the black one, turns out its owned by bob nickel who owned sewickley audi/porsche. bob passed away last january so who owns this car or his whole car collection now is unknown to me. i talked with his business partner's son which is who i bought my USR6 avant from and bob has the car here on the show and shine law somehow. rob told me he was sort of hiding it till 2020 when it could be legal but who could resist to not drive it. when it was on the street he had used a dealer plate on it so that he could get away with driving it. i guess thats one loop hole you could use if you have access to a PA dealer plate. i guess the car used to spend time down at brumos porsche in florida too as bob was good friends with the people at brumos racing. thats about all i know, not sure if its a 100% accurate but it seems right."
            Attached Files
            sigpic

Comment

and there was an other one in California few years ago by GMG racing
              Attached Files
              sigpic

Comment

I bought my S4 from Sewickley Car Store in 1996 and the pearl RS2 was there then. My information regarding the car was told to me by the Sewickley staff at that time. I'm not sure where the Alcoa story came from, but maybe he was also an electrical engineer?

Side note to this.....I remember seeing a pic of the car looking pretty shabby in an airport car park a few years ago. Sad to see it after seeing in almost new shape in '96.

There is also some nutter in Georgia that bought and S2 avant shell and is building an RS2 from that.........

Comment

Originally posted by varia View Post
                  "Thats the CEO of alcoa's car. that one is 100% federalized and legal for US roads because it was imported by audi for him specifically. he got the car from audi because alcoa played a major role in providing and testing the materials used to make the space frame chassis in the A8's back in the day. that car has been around here since like 1999 or 2000."
                  Not sure who you are quoting. I trust there isn't confusion over which car an ALCOA executive imported because there is also a similar story for the S6 Plus that was imported by an Alcoa executive (maybe somebody from the Reynolds (aluminum) family)). That one went from the exec to a "Bobby Goldsborough" (maybe the singer) to Steve Mills (RIP Steve) in Maryland to Don S. near Montreal who also has an RS2 and posted here from time to time.

?

Comment

Maybe it was the GMC racing unit that I saw in San Diego. Looked in good condition
                    Cheers
                    Don
                    ---------------------

Comment

An RS2 is certainly a huge improvement on 99% of the cars on roads in USA. Their idea of a sports performance vehicle is to make a hole in the exhaust
                      Cheers
                      Don
                      ---------------------

Comment

Hey guys. Just had to clear up a few things here. No, one of the previous owners of my S6 Plus, Bobby Goldsborough, is not a singer, and the car was originally registered to a Mr. Reynolds,when it was imported to the States.I was told that it was a thank you gesture, to an executive of Alcoa, for the development of the A8.
                        Yes, the car is presently in Canada.
                        Cheers
                        Don Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Smith View Post
                          Hey guys. Just had to clear up a few things here. No, one of the previous owners of my S6 Plus, Bobby Goldsborough, is not a singer, and the car was originally registered to a Mr. Reynolds,when it was imported to the States.I was told that it was a thank you gesture, to an executive of Alcoa, for the development of the A8.
                          Yes, the car is presently in Canada.Cheers Don Smith
                          Don: Thanks for the Bobby Goldsborough clarification. Steve Mills would never neither confirm or deny the singer possibility. You should add that your S6Plus has official status in the US, i.e. it was "federalized" to meet US standards, probably by Audi, before it came into the US. Those ID plates attached to your car are testament to that.

Comment

Bobby is an close friend of mine. He does sing, but only when Duran Duran's Rio comes over his car radio. Bobby has blue plus now as well as a federalized D2 S8 6-speed, BTW.

Comment

Trying to remember Bobby Goldsborough's big hit. ..
                              Cheers
                              Don
                              ---------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X