Rust proof paint - Running gear restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust proof paint - Running gear restoration

Just wondering what people are using to paint subframes, struts etc. I have been using Por15 but its a real faff with the prep, then the wash off then the paint, then the top coat and the time between drying and have had some rust come through on stuff that I have on the shelf that has never been fitted.

I have a restoration to do, subframe and wishbones will be dipped and galvd and struts will be bead blasted then painted, would also be nice to be able to spray paint which you cannot do with Por15 without the risk on instant death.

Powder coating works well
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Yep powder coaring with a decent, liberal zinc primer has worked well for me on subframes. Rust will always eventually return...its a ****** like that
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I have tried most. Powdercoat chips and the corrosion spreads underneath then flakes off. POR15 is really inconsistent - sometimes excellent sometimes useless. Seems to relate to humidity during application. Best (most consistent and most durable) I have used is zinc rich 2k primer followed by 2k epoxy followed by 2k acrylic topcoat.
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I used rust bullet. Minimal prep and can be sprayed. Did my subframes etc in 2012 and all seems good so far

Comment

Powder coat is ok but it chips really easily because it is so hard. I've been using Durepox, it's mega stuff, cheap (relatively), un-fussy to apply and very very durable. It's used in marine applications and can be bought on eBay.

Comment

Thanks for the many and quick responses, I have a spray booth for doing wheels so really want to do it myself rather that pay someone to powder coat, also prefer to paint wheels rather than powder coat as the finish is better and due to the large chipping potential. I will try some Durepox and Rust Bullet and let you know how it goes.

Comment

Which durepox products did you use out of interest?
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                  Which durepox products did you use out of interest?
                  Resene, from Boatpaint.co.uk no primer required, you can bush, roll or spray it on.

Comment

I’m currently going through mine sub frames shot blasted the n zg190 cold gave with tractor enamel. The rest por15 which is laborious over coated with tractor enamel. Only time will tell

Comment

Working...
                    X