B6 front shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6 front shocks

Afternoon people, just received some B6 front shocks for S2, the instructions show a plastic collar that goes between the gland nut and the top of the shock which holds the bottom of the bellows cover in place but I did not get any with the shocks, also did not receive a gland nut tool which I assumed would come with them.

Anybody shed any light on this.

Cheers.

The collar is only supplied/used for BMW models, you need to order the tool separately.

Comment

Ok, thanks for quick reply, I wont kick off at the suppliers then!

Comment

You don't get a tool either - they will happily sell you one for silly money for what is a flimsy pressed steel affair. I made my own.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thanks for that Steve, will be doing same.

Comment

What I would say is that if I was making another one; I wouldn't pick a Swan neck spanner if I had a choice, it seems to cause a little difficulty with keeping the tool flat on the gland nut as you are applying load slightly off centre. A normal large old spanner would be better. I'd also say grind a little bit at a time... The torque is quite high in these nuts and a slightly slack fit will lead to it jumping out of the notches. Don't ask how I know that grind, check, grind check, grind check

Comment

Comment

Steve,

Perhaps the Bilstein wrench mod photos I've added here (see post #2 at link) will give you an idea how you might keep yours (brilliant effort BTW) flat and engaged in use:

Link > Bilstein into MacPherson
                  Last edited by Lago Blue; 15 July 2018, 11:19.

Comment

Top tip! Having drilled the drain hole in strut, I hope it will be some years till I need to remove the dampers again but for sure I shall remember your pic - simple but effective.

Comment

Great write up Lago Blue, read it when you first posted but good to see it again, some very useful tips. Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X